BATC Equipment Requirements

Forum dedicated to the MAA Sanctioned Basic Airsoft Training Course (BATC). An Airsoft Bootcamp weekend teaching basic Airsoft safety as well as individual and squad tactics.

Moderators: THE ARCHANGEL, Erik

Erik
MAA Member

BATC Equipment Requirements

Post by Erik » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Please note that the purpose of this thread is for potential BATC Recruits to ask questions so they can prepare to attend BATC. If you are not eligible for BATC, please do not post in this thread.

REQUIRED ITEMS:
If you show up without these, you will be sent home. No exceptions!

Primary Weapon System
- Automatic Electric Guns (AEG) are recommended.
- No LPEGs, AEPs, springers, pistols or other sidearms.
- Gas rifles are permitted provided they are capable of semi or full automatic fire. Recruits are reminded that they and they alone are responsible for keeping their guns running and keeping their equipment ready for operation. Failure to do so could mean dismissal from the course.
- No shotguns, grenade launchers, sniper rifles, or light machine guns (Grenade launchers may be attached to your gun but you will not be allowed to use them).
- No batteries taped to the outside of the gun (external batteries which are well concealed, for example, in a buttstock mag pouch or PEQ are okay).
- Your gun must be of good quality, in good working order and present a realistic appearance. "Clone" guns are okay so long as they meet this criteria.
- NO ORANGE TIPS. Covering the orange tip with electrical tape is acceptable.

You owe it to your fellow recruits to have a reliable gun. If your gun goes down, and you can't fix or replace it, you will be sent home.

One or more CHARGED Batteries (at least one spare recommended). Outlets for charging MAY be available, but be prepared! Two or more batteries are recommended. Chargers will NOT be provided! Bring your own.

Three or more AEG Magazines - Standards, midcaps, or hicaps are allowed. If you have more, we suggest you bring them. No fixed, drum, box, W-type, auto winding, or similar magazines.

6000 rounds (2 bags) of BBs minimum. We suggest you bring more, past BATC recruits have said they shot more at BATC than any other game they had attended.

Hydration System or canteen - must be able to carry a minimum of two quarts or more water on your person at all times.

Load Carrying Equipment - any style or type, so long as it's a tactical/military design. Your LCE must be able to carry your 3 AEG magazines and hydration at a minimum. Gear may be any color or camo pattern.

Tactical/BDU Clothing - any style or camo pattern, as long as it is military or military style. No hunting camo or civilian clothes may be worn during training. No desert, black, or khaki uniforms (reserved for Cadre). Multicam, MARPAT, ACU, ABU are all okay. Clothing may be from any manufacturer so long as it presents a military appearance. Ghilie suits are not allowed. Plan for cold, wet and muddy weather.

Gun Case must be securable and conform to applicable Minnesota statutes. No shipping boxes. The gun must be unloaded and in the case when you arrive.

Eye Protection - Must meet MAA "full-seal" standards and meet ANSI z.81.1 impact requirements. Full-face is optional. No mesh goggles.

Barrel Blocker Must be MAA-approved type.

Waiver Minors must have their waiver signed by a parent. You can download a waiver from: http://www.pakieser.com/ATAC/BATC/recru ... waiver.doc

Flashing Red light - needed for kill indicator during the Night Patrol. Bike tail-lights work great. You can find these at WalMart, Target, and just about any sporting goods store.

Footwear: Must be military style combat boots. Hiking or other outdoor footwear are acceptable if they present a military appearance (no neon colors). No tennis shoes, cleats, or other civilian type shoes. No steel toed boots.

Recommended, but not required:

BB Loader: If you run standard or mid cap mags you should have a speed loader accessible.

Extra Clothes: can be worn during downtime in the evenings. A backup uniform is recommended because the one you bring will get dirty.

Headgear: No khaki or black ball caps. (reserved for Cadre). Other military style headgear is acceptable. Helmets are allowed.

Bedding - there are bunk beds in the bunkhouse, but you will need your own bedding - pillow, blanket, sheets, and/or sleeping bag.

Food: Recruits will need to bring enough food for 2 days. A refrigerator and kitchen, including a stove and microwave, are available. During the day, Recruits may eat lunch in the field, so plan accordingly. A very limited number of dishes, pots and pans are available. You use it, you wash it. Simple, easy-to-fix meals are recommended.

Flashlight - you won't be allowed to use it during the Night Patrol, but it does get dark around the barracks after lights out.

Other Gear- Pack everything else you would bring to a large-scale scenario game.

Being properly equipped is not only key to your success, it's a safety issue. All of your gear must be in good working order and properly assembled and adjusted. While we do understand players may need to borrow "some" gear, borrowing of mission critical equipment for BATC is highly discouraged. Regardless of whether or not you have these items, the Cadre reserves the right to send home any player who does not appear to be properly equipped for BATC.

Any questions? Ask away.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Erik
MAA Member

Re: BATC Equipment Requirements

Post by Erik » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 pm

What is the procedure if someones airsoft gun breaks? Will the recruit be given time to get his replacement gun, or should they have their replacement with them?
You are expected to show up with your gun in good working order. If your gun fails, then you can switch to a backup if you brought one. If your gun fails in the field, and you have a backup, we would allow you to hotfoot back to the barracks to get your backup gun.

Anything you carry into the field is YOUR responsibility. If you want to carry a backup gun out, that's fine (recruits have done this)..but all field movement is done tactically, and you will be responsible for carrying and securing your backup gun. If you can't carry your backup gun, and be ready to fight with your primary at the same time, I would just leave it at the barracks.

If your gun goes down, and you have no backup...look to your squad for assistance. Maybe you can borrow a gun from one of them (chances are one of them will have a backup).

If you can't get a backup from your squad, then I'm afraid you are done. It is highly unlikely that the Cadre will provide you with a gun - however, we have been known to be charitable to recruits whose guns went kerflooey through no fault of their own.

We would NOT provide you with a gun if yours failed due to:

1. Being a piece of crap you should not have bought in the first place (as determined by Tank)
2. Dead battery (you are supposed to bring spare batteries, and it's your responsibility to have them charged and ready to go)
3. Botched upgrade
4. You did something stupid (for example, running a LiPo battery in a stock gun)

However, we MIGHT assist you if:

1. You fall on your gun and break it
2. It's a stock gun, and for some reason has locked up or is failing to work (provided it's not a piece of crap you should not have bought in the first place, see above)

In any circumstance, it's your responsibility to exhaust all other options before coming to us with your problem.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Stealth_Recon
MAA Member

Post by Stealth_Recon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:21 am

There is a sticky that is a study guide on Communications. Radio communication is covered in that post, but a radio is neither listed in the Required Equipment List, nor in the Recommended Equipment. Will we be covering radio communication during this training cycle and should we bring a radio?
MAA Member #99
BATC 10-11 Graduate
Aka = TAMARACK

G&G M4 (Combat Machine)
DBoy MK16 (SCAR-L)
JG MK5A4
JG SIG 552
DE M56A Tri-shot Shotgun
CA G36k

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 am

Proper radio communications will be covered, but radios will not be used by squad members during any of the field missions. The squad leader will have a radio which he will use to communicate with command, but that is it. The focus of BATC is on personal and small unit tactics, communication is done by shouting commands or with hand signals.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:33 am

Radio comms are not covered in BATC. As a Basic training course, it focuses on the fundamentals at a squad and fireteam level. Radio communication isn't really necessary until you're dealing with multiple squads trying to coordinate objectives, which is beyond the scope of the course.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Stealth_Recon
MAA Member

Post by Stealth_Recon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:44 am

Bunny and Viper:

Thanks for the clarification.
MAA Member #99
BATC 10-11 Graduate
Aka = TAMARACK

G&G M4 (Combat Machine)
DBoy MK16 (SCAR-L)
JG MK5A4
JG SIG 552
DE M56A Tri-shot Shotgun
CA G36k

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:39 pm

I have a few questions for the equipment requirements. First regards the "No orange tips requirement." Okay so I am not sure how to make it so it is not an orange tip (Electrical tape would partially work, but there would be probably be less than a half centimeter of orange on the tip, for I do not want to let it obstruct the bb coming out. However I do not know if this will be a problem as I haven't tested any of that.) Second, regarding the magazines. I have three 470 round hi-cap mags for my 36C. About how many rounds would I go through in a day so I know if I may need to buy one or two more magazines. Third, regarding the barrel blocker. How do I know if it is approved by the MAA. Lastly you say that we need a flashing red light. I do have a flashing red light but it also doubles as a flashlight. Wondering if it was okay to be carrying that on the field so long as I don't use it. Thank you so much for your help!
Nothin Like Hockey Nothin Like Baseball and Nothin like the Ladies
JG G36C
Umarex M9 Co2 (TM M1911A1 just broke what I believe is beyond repair)
Soon to come Magpul PTS Masada CQB and VFC MK16 FN-SCAR

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Silent_And_Deadly wrote:I have a few questions for the equipment requirements. First regards the "No orange tips requirement." Okay so I am not sure how to make it so it is not an orange tip (Electrical tape would partially work, but there would be probably be less than a half centimeter of orange on the tip, for I do not want to let it obstruct the bb coming out. However I do not know if this will be a problem as I haven't tested any of that.) Second, regarding the magazines. I have three 470 round hi-cap mags for my 36C. About how many rounds would I go through in a day so I know if I may need to buy one or two more magazines. Third, regarding the barrel blocker. How do I know if it is approved by the MAA. Lastly you say that we need a flashing red light. I do have a flashing red light but it also doubles as a flashlight. Wondering if it was okay to be carrying that on the field so long as I don't use it. Thank you so much for your help!
Cover the tip up as well as you can without impeding your guns ability to work. either that or purchase a black metal one from someone like Dan Magnusson (Master TCAA on the boards here) usually he has a bin full of cheap flash hiders that he has collected.

Bring as many Magazines as you can get your hands on ahead of time. You are going to go through them in the shooting drills. You are also going to go through a lot of BB's so I would say buy 3-4 bags, or more if you can afford to. The thing with BB's is even if you don't use them, you can always use them at a game later on down the road, so you're not really out anything if you end up not using them.

For the red light, go to wal-mart. They have little red clip on flashers in the bicycle sections that will clip onto your shirt or vest and are perfect for what you need. best part is they only cost about $9 and can be used for night games at other places as well.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:38 am

Thank you so much for the help.
JG G36C

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Silent_And_Deadly wrote:...Lastly you say that we need a flashing red light. I do have a flashing red light but it also doubles as a flashlight. Wondering if it was okay to be carrying that on the field so long as I don't use it. Thank you so much for your help!
If you can turn on/off the red flasher WITHOUT having to go through a white light mode then it will likely be okay. That said, if it is at all possible to accidentally turn the white light on, then I would advise against it.
White light accidental discharges are a good way to attract unwanted attention.

It's well worth the $5 (or less) it will cost you for a cheap-o (red only) bike light.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Yeah I probably should of thought first. It does need to go through the "white light" mode. Any info about the barrel blocker and eye protection on what is MAA approved. I do have shooting glasses that I shoot my 12 gauge with. Not sure if it is approved or not though.
JG G36C

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Shooting glass won't work. They have to be full seal, have a strap, and be properly rated. More information is here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25032

Barrel blockers: Most people use paintball barrel blockers. They can be picked up anywhere paintball stuff is sold, or we often have them for sale at games. Some, but not all, barrel blockers that come with airsoft guns are ok.

Note: Goggles are the single most important item required to airsoft. You can't play very effectively without a gun (unless you're role playing), but you can't even go out on the field without proper goggles.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Will these work for Glasses?
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1678-GO ... ction.aspx

I did get a barrel blocker with my gun. I don't know if it is okay though. It's just an orange safety cap that is plastic.
JG G36C

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Silent_And_Deadly wrote:Yeah I probably should of thought first. It does need to go through the "white light" mode. Any info about the barrel blocker and eye protection on what is MAA approved. I do have shooting glasses that I shoot my 12 gauge with. Not sure if it is approved or not though.

The core rules are the same as any other MAA event. If you read the MAA's rules and that should answer these questions. (You should have read those rules before posting questions but w/e.)

You're under 18 so you have to have full face. (Think Paintball mask).

The plastic barrel cap is okay, although not ideal. That said, if you're covering your orange flash hider with tape the plastic cap will not fit.
SO...You should buy a paintball barrel blocker.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Fox Weik

Post by Fox Weik » Sat May 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Erik wrote:
Footwear: Must be military style combat boots. Hiking or other outdoor footwear are acceptable if they present a military appearance (no neon colors). No tennis shoes, cleats, or other civilian type shoes. No steel toed boots.
are steel toed combat boots allowed, or is it a safety concern?
I love the smell of green gas in the morning
KWA SR12
KWA LM4
KWA 1911 MKIV
G&G CM M4 Raider GBBR

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Read the last 4 words
JG G36C

mhofstad
Fairly Regular

Post by mhofstad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 am

Are they going to have a class this year? I'm 16 and would like to participate in Op. Vigilance and I know you had to complete a safety course if under 18.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am

Not the same thing. We are hoping to have a BATC but we are still planning the season.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Rekkon
MAA Member

Post by Rekkon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:47 am

MAA's BATC is a lot more involved than the WAA's AEC, but I believe BATC counts as an AEC equivalent for the purposes of playing at Apoc. Your other option is at Vigilance itself. Kerrik typically runs an AEC at the event before the night game.
MAA Member #92

mhofstad
Fairly Regular

Post by mhofstad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Ok cool

Moose
A Regular

2014 BATC

Post by Moose » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:25 am

Any word on a possible BATC for the 2014 season?

With respect,

Moose
There is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:16 am

Simply put, BATC is dead. No one has time or the inclination to make it happen. I tried....
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:03 pm

THE ARCHANGEL wrote:Simply put, BATC is dead. I tried....
:cry:
Atlas
Combat Operators Pointman
O.L.C.M.S.S. Alumni

http://www.facebook.com/airsoftstation.atlas

Return to “BATC: Basic Airsoft Training Course”