New Vietnam themed group starting

Forum for those interested in accurate Vietnam impressions and re-enactment using Airsoft. This is not a political or historical section, discussions will be limited to the gear and guns appropriate for the era and theme based games.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Chang2012
Still A Newbie

New Vietnam themed group starting

Post by Chang2012 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Facebook group link-https://www.facebook.com/groups/142941615913447/

Hey everyone just wanted to post some stuff about a "Nam impressionist group I'm trying to get organized. So lets get down to business,

First off we are going to shoot for an American/ARVN look, pretty simple.
If there is a decent number of people who want to have a NVA/VC impression I'll allow it but as of now it seems like we are going American/ARVN

With that said we are going to shoot for period accurate gear. so lets break it down

Starting with gear,
M-1956, M-1967 MLCE are the 2 that you probably should get, As of now I will allow ALICE Gear but in the future that is subject to change, some people say you need to have full patrol gear but I'm throwing that out the window, Stick to Combat Load. You don't need a poncho or a ALICE backpack or anything like that but if you want to lug around the additional 50 pounds, be my guest. You should also consider getting a M1 Helmet with a Mitchell Pattern cover but as of now I will allow Head-bands, Boonies, patrol caps etc, but consider getting a M1, they are pretty cheap on Ebay last I checked.

Next is Small Arms
Stick to the Basics, M16vn or M16A1, M14,, M1911a1 and if you want to venture out there, CAR-15, XM177, M60. If you plan on going with a M14, stick with a wood stock, M1911a1 stick with an original not the funky stuff. Same with an M60, stick with a M60E1, Avoid the MK43's or M249's like the plague (or for that matter anything that isn't period accurate) .

Anything else that doesn't seem obvious and you are wondering I would like to see photo proof that the weapon was used in Vietnam.

Moving onto Clothing

OG-107, OD Green is going to be the most common and cheapest stuff you can get. with that said I will allow OD BDU's but plan on getting Jungle fatigues when we get the ball rolling faster here.

Try to stick with OD Green just so we can look more uniformed but other camo's that are allowed

ERDL, Tiger stripe, and for now M85 woodland.

Also, if you don't have them already, get jungle boots, they are super cheap somewhere like 20 buck, get the ones with OD and black, not the pure black ones.

And Finally, the finishing touches

Yes, you are allowed to draw boobies and "poontang" on your helmet covers. Yes, you are allowed to wear peace pins on your jungle fatigues. Yes, you can yell "Get some" when you're shooting, etc. Anything to make it seem like you are and have been in the Shit for a long time is allowed because we are here to simulate what Vietnam would have been like.

The key is to go as period accurate as possible, get stuff here and there, you don't need to get everything at once, but get what you need and wait on stuff you don't need so much. also make sure you can pass what is known as the "15 foot rule" (for new guys, it's basically if someone was 15 feet away from you, you would at least look the part without sticking out too much), as of right now I am pretty relaxed on the requirements but I'm planning on that to change once we start getting the ball rolling.

If you are reading this and asking yourself where on earth are you going to get this stuff here are a few resources

Moore's Militaria--http://www.mooremilitaria.com/
Combat Sports Supply--http://www.combatsportsupply.com/vietnamairsoft.aspx

and then obviously Ebay and Craigslist.

So go crazy, have fun with your gear and be creative with it, give your 'Nam load out some persona. Number one thing here is to go out and have a good time with some requirements.

With that, Any questions can be Directed to Aaron Miqueli or myself

Thank you for your time and hope to see you guys out on the field
It's very difficult to find a Vietnamese man named Charlie. They're all named Nyugen or Doh or things like that. It's very difficult for me.

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Re: New Vietnam themed group starting

Post by CPT. Fox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

I'll join. (if I can) I'm 15, would that be okay? you've already seen my loadout (we met at Devil Ops, remember? I had the M14) where would this group be located?

Here's a kit list, and some pics for the hell f it.

Kit List:

Clothes
-3rd pat Jungle trousers
-Utility shirt
-jungle Boots (vibram soul)
-OD T shirt

Web Gear
-M1956 vertical weave pistol belt
-M1956 universal ammo pouch (x2, both 1969 dated)
-M1956 canteen covers (x2)
-M1956 'H' suspenders
-M1956 compass/bandage pouch
-M1961 buttpack

Headwear
-M1 helmet with Mitchell helmet cover
-Bandana
-paintball mask

Other items
-'Chow sock' (x2. USGI socks filled with C-ration cans)
-extra canteen on carabineer
-USGI 7 pocket bandoleer

This is an early 1966/late 1965 1st cav kit. I still need utility trousers, but I'm happy with it as it is too.

(the M16A1 is my bro's. just used it for the pics, as it fits better with the loadout than my M14)
Grimes: Why aren't you shooting?
Waddell: We're not being shot at yet.
Grimes: How can you tell?
Waddell: A hiss means it's close. A snap means-
[a bullet whizzes close by]
Waddell: Now they're shooting at us!
-Blackhawk Down

bentwings

Post by bentwings » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi,

I'd like to joint your group. I'm new to the game but date back to this era, very early 60's. Viet Nam was just starting to get serious while I was in college.

I'm just gathering gear now. Tiger tripes, boonie hat, WE M14 rifle. I'm going to travel pretty light as the weapon load is getting close to 20 pounds alone. Black Ops fast insert and retract thing.

Pm me or post something, I like to meet everyone and possible get some ideas on gear and ops.

Thanks
If the glass is either half full or half empty, it is twice as large as it needs to be.

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm trying to get a VN event started at either Big Lake, or TCA. as for gear, just get some standard M1956 gear. http://www.mooremilitaria.com/
Grimes: Why aren't you shooting?
Waddell: We're not being shot at yet.
Grimes: How can you tell?
Waddell: A hiss means it's close. A snap means-
[a bullet whizzes close by]
Waddell: Now they're shooting at us!
-Blackhawk Down

bentwings

Post by bentwings » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Cpt Fox, I really like your load. Perfect. You would fit nicely into the movie Full Metal Jacket. My favorite. Actually the M 16 is probably pretty accurate as the M 14 was being phased out by then. The old guys and really hard core kept the M 14 even though it required a massive ammo load. It was not normally fired full auto except to make a lot of noise. haha and that it did. It was often fired from the hip as in the movie bathroom scene. With a little practice you can be deadly on the run with it this way.

I have a small variable scope on mine as I have macular degeneration in my eyes so there are dead spots in my vision that prevent me using the stock iron peep sights. Tough getting old.

I hope this group can get together.
If the glass is either half full or half empty, it is twice as large as it needs to be.

Return to “Vietnam Airsoft Re-Enactment Forum”