MAA BASIC OUTDOOR RULES BRIEFING:

Airsoft Games that are Sanctioned and Hosted by the MAA. Metro Area Based.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

MAA BASIC OUTDOOR RULES BRIEFING:

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 am

As requested by the community, the following is a copy of the MAA's current Rules Briefing that we read before our Open Sessions at Special Forces Paintball. It gives all the basic rules we play by, general procedures, and reminders. It's written in the first person so it's more natural for the reader.

There is a link at the bottom of the page for those that wish to download a version for themselves (for reference, for their own games, to show their parents, etc.). Players and organizers are encouraged to use this format and content for their own events but please do us the courtesy of giving us credit for whatever you use.

MINNESOTA AIRSOFT ASSOCIATION®
OUTDOOR SKIRMISH RULES & STANDARDS:

PLAY LOCATION: SPECIAL FORCES PAINTBALL

Adlib as much as you feel comfortable doing. Though this is written in the first person, it's just an outline and a reminder.

1. ADDRESS THE PLAYERS:

Thank you for joining us at this Minnesota Airsoft Association® event. We guarantee you'll all have a good time today. I'm going to go through our basic rules now. If you know the rules, please bear with me, as there might be changes. If you have any questions please wait until I'm done with the entire briefing.

2. RULES:

1) There is no firing, AT ALL in the Staging Area. Go into the play field, go to the chrono station, just don't do it in the Staging Area.

2) NO ONE REMOVES THEIR GOGGLES UNLESS THEY ARE IN THE STAGING AREA. NO EXCEPTIONS. IF YOU DO, AND WE SEE IT, YOU'RE KICKED OUT OF THE GAME.

As of the 2008 Summer Season, all players under the age of 18 are REQUIRED to wear Full Face Paintball Masks. This is a liability issue and is just the way things are.

3) When you're leaving the game field:

- Remove your mag
    - Point your gun in a safe direction
    - Take a couple shots to make sure your chamber is empty
    - Safety your gun
    - Put on your Barrel Blocker
    - THEN go into the Staging Area.
4) Shots anywhere to the body, including gear, are considered a hit. Gun hits do not count.

5) The games start on stop on the whistle blow or air horn.

6) When you are hit: Yell out you're "Hit!", put your Dead Rag on your head, raise your arms above your head, and walk out of the action to the Staging Area. Don't get in the way of other players. Try to move into in inactive area.

No talking to other living players, you're dead!!!

If you don't have a Dead Rag please come up after the Rules Briefing and get one. We give them out for a reason, USE THEM!!! We expect Dead Rags to be returned if you don't need them.

7) No shots within 10 feet. When you're that close, call for a Surrender. Surrender rules work like this:

- The attacking player is in total control of the situation.
    - The attacking player has no real risk of being shot.
    - The defending player is either completely surprised by the attacking player or does not know that the attacking player is there.
    - The two players are less than 10 feet apart.
    - The attacking player is in a position where they could actually shoot the defending player.
Given proper conditions are met, a surrender cannot be denied or refused!

If you have any issues or disagreements stemming from a Surrender Call, call a ref immediately.

8) We do not allow blind firing at our events. What does that mean? You cannot shoot without looking at your target. This means you cannot stick your gun around a corner and just start shooting. Same goes for shoving your gun over a wall or thru a window. Unless you are actually looking at your target, don't shoot. Regardless of how "cool" this may seem, it can be very dangerous.

9) There is no fighting here, not physical OR verbal. If you have a dispute, try to work it out with each other on the field, peacefully. If you can't, get a ref to assist you. We do not tolerate any fighting. If you do, you're out of the game.

10) Try to idle back on the swearing. It's not necessary. Playful swearing will be tolerated but insults directed at anyone else, player or referee, is an expellable offense.

11) DO NOT shoot people, friend or not, when there is not a game in progress. It's not funny and it just stokes tempers and grudges.

12) If you find gear, and don't know whose it is, please return it to me or one of the other refs. We will find the owner. If we find out anyone's stealing, they will be banned from all MAA Events....forever.

13) Please don't break anything on the field. Don't hack the trees or the structures. Just be respectful of the land and the people of SFP who allow us to play here.

14) BLINDMAN RULE. If there's any problem during the game, an injury, some kind of emergency, yell out "BLINDMAN" and keep yelling it. If you're not the one who started the Blindman call, keep yelling it yourself. Everyone does this, until you hear a whistle blow. Safety your weapons and sit back and wait until we figure out what's going on. Don't move to another position, if anything, if you're near an enemy, both of you move back a little. Don't remove your goggles unless told to do so. Think of it as a time out. Everything stops. When the game is ready to be restarted, you'll hear a call of "ALL CLEAR" and a time frame, IE: 30 seconds. Keep yelling that out too, so everyone knows. When you hear the whistle blow, the game is back on. Does everyone understand?

3. WAIVERS, CHRONO, & PAYMENT:

- Make sure everyone has filled out a waiver form, paid, and has a wrist band. Remind players that referee's will be looking for wristbands.
    - Make sure all players have chronoed their guns and have them tagged.
4. CLOSE:

- Announce the referees for the day.
    - Announce that there are BB's and gas for sale and the prices.
    - Tell people to keep their gear together in the Staging Area. To close and lock their cases. There is always a referee in the staging area but we can't see everything.
    - Announce whether or not smoke is allowed. Verify with SFP representative.
    - Ask if anyone has questions.
    - Give a description of the game play for the day, IE: What kind of missions.
    - Give everyone a break to finalize their setup.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:

- SFP ALLOWS goggles only, but Full Face masks are always acceptable and preferred.
    * As of 2008, all players under the age of 18 MUST wear Full Face Protection.
    - ALWAYS remind players to drink water. During the briefing, during breaks, while walking on the field, etc.
    - Member versus Non-Member BB's, Gas, and Green Fees differences.
    - Remember MAA Merchandise for sale. Make sure the players know about them.
Downloadable version can be found here:
http://official.mnairsoft.org/SFP_Rules_Briefing_2008.PDF
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Re: SFP RULES BRIEFING (Updated for 2008):

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 am

Updated for 2008 Season with 2 notable changes:
  • - Blind firing rule added
    - Full Face for players under the age of 18 required
If you have questions, issues, or see the need for additions or changes, please post here.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

axraupp
MAA Member

Post by axraupp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Is there a "parlay" rule? That is, when two approach each other and each has the same advantage, "parlay" is called and each player disengages, moves away then can play on.

-Alex
TK490
"...is like shaking hands with a girl." ~Describing Bin Laden's handshake

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:32 pm

In the past, we have left that up to the ref to make the call.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

russian_juggernaut

Post by russian_juggernaut » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Whats the max fps your gun can shoot?

caveman
MAA Member

Post by caveman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18684

You will likely here this a lot, but you should read all the stickies. I know there are a ton, but there is a whole heap of information in them. I garuntee, if you read all those, you will get 95% of your questions answered. Plus, you won't have grumpy people crabbing at you when you ask a question that has been asked 10 million times before.

Please don't take that as me being grumpy. It's just when you have seem the same question/comment a whole bunch of times, it's easy to forget that it's not the same people asking. And the result is that sometimes newer players get grouched at more than they should. But the easiest way to avoid it all is to read the stickies. Not only will you get a pile of info, but you will get more respect from others on the forums.

Wow, that got preachy. Sorry about that...
MS40 Rangers
MAA Member #63
BATC Graduate 07-08
BATC Recruit Squad Leader 05-09

russian_juggernaut

Post by russian_juggernaut » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Sorry retarded me didn't see that.

airsoftaddict002

Post by airsoftaddict002 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Can a pair of goggles and a heavy balaclava/shemagh (completely covering the face and ears) be used for someone under 18?

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:46 pm

airsoftaddict002 wrote:Can a pair of goggles and a heavy balaclava/shemagh (completely covering the face and ears) be used for someone under 18?
Unless otherwise noted, full face means a full rigid face mask in the style of a paintball mask. So balclava's usually do not count.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:47 pm

No. Full Face Unmodified Paintball Masks only. It's a liability issue and comes from the insurance companies, not only us.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

specialopsniper

Post by specialopsniper » Thu May 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Would I be allowed to bring a spring sniper rifle to SFP? Or do I have to have an AEG?

DFSM
MAA Member

Post by DFSM » Thu May 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Read the post about sniper rules.
TEAM LFN™: Hot stuff, coming through...

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Thu May 08, 2008 5:20 pm

specialopsniper wrote:Would I be allowed to bring a spring sniper rifle to SFP?

Yes, but it has to shoot UNDER 400FPS with .20g BBs.
specialopsniper wrote:Or do I have to have an AEG?

No, but you'll probably wish you had one.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Pvtlee11b
Extremely Regular

Post by Pvtlee11b » Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 am

COPIED FROM MAA RULES

"Cannot exceed the equivalent energy of 570fps with .20g BBs (3 Joules). FPS and Joule measurement will be done with the BB-weight the sniper intends to use."
"Men, this stuff we hear about America wanting to stay out of the war, not wanting to fight, is a lot of bullshit. Americans love to fight - traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle"
~General George S. Patton

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Tue May 27, 2008 1:56 am

Lee-
In order to shoot above 400 fps, you have the be an approved sniper, which starts with being an MAA member in good standing, and 18+ years old. The 3 Joule rule applies here. If a player is not approved, they may still use a spring riffle, but it must shoot under the standard 400 FPS.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

leeroy555
Fairly Regular

Post by leeroy555 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:05 pm

sorry if its a stupid question, but i've never been to a game yet, what does having your weapons chronoed?

Ballistic09
Extremely Regular

Post by Ballistic09 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:26 pm

It means that they will shoot your gun through a chronograph (electronic gizmo used to measure fps), to make sure it fires within the allowed limits of fps (400 fps).

On a side note, they use there own bb's to make sure that they are testing it with .2's.

leeroy555
Fairly Regular

Post by leeroy555 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Ballistic09 wrote:It means that they will shoot your gun through a chronograph (electronic gizmo used to measure fps), to make sure it fires within the allowed limits of fps (400 fps).

On a side note, they use there own bb's to make sure that they are testing it with .2's.

Thanks, I was wondering everyones opinion on just goggles or a full face mask, I am over the age of 18 so I know its up to me if I want to wear a full faced mask, I was just curious what everyone else does
The only good zombie, is a dead zombie!!

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Its personal opinion if you wear full face or not. Ultimatly it comes down to what you feel most comfortable to wear. Som don't like to wear full face because they can't look down their sights as well. Others wear full face because they don't want to have the welts all over their face and don't mind the full face. Just wear what ever is most comfortable to you. Personal I like the wear goggles only because I fog up full face masks too fast.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Viper
MAA Member

Re: SFP RULES BRIEFING (Updated for 2009):

Post by Viper » Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 am

This comes from a section of the game description for all MAA events (such as this thread you've already posted in and probably should have read):
ALL GUNS MUST BE IN A CASE: We've been seeing far to many people lately just walking from their cars to the field with their guns out in the open. Some may argue that since you are at a field of play that it's not required as that's the purpose of the site. Frankly, it's stupid and threatens Airsoft in the state. Get a cheap gun case and put your gun in it. It protects the gun and is far more discreet than a stock hanging out of a backpack.

The MAA requires all Airsoft guns that are brought to our events to be transported in a secure gun case or in a discreet manner. It's common sense and frankly, if you can't afford to spend $10-$15 on a decent gun case, you shouldn't be playing Airsoft....and won't be playing with the MAA.
*Original boxes with no visible gun references (box top inside out), backpacks or gear bags that are closed and completely mask the contents, or Rubbermaid storage containers will be allowed for now but we would prefer real gun cases and will discuss the topic with those we see without them.
So, no, you don't need a gun case.... as long as the gun isn't exposed or in something that obviously marks it as a gun, that's fine. BUT, you can get a decent gun-case for $20, and there's no reason not to -- be smart, be safe, and protect your investment.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

ntscheel

Post by ntscheel » Sat May 29, 2010 10:40 am

well, sorry. i remembered seeing the rules about cases somewhere, but i couldn't remember what the rule was.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.” - Winston Churchill

Airsoft has made me a poor man... It is worth every penny

thepiggylord
Still A Newbie

Post by thepiggylord » Sat May 29, 2010 5:01 pm

ntscheel wrote:well, sorry. i remembered seeing the rules about cases somewhere, but i couldn't remember what the rule was.
Just try looking next time. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18684
"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." -Thomas Gray

Chang2012
Still A Newbie

Re: MAA SFP RULES BRIEFING:

Post by Chang2012 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 am

so facemask wise would something like this work?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=3136
It's very difficult to find a Vietnamese man named Charlie. They're all named Nyugen or Doh or things like that. It's very difficult for me.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:43 am

Yup. Pretty much any mainstream paintball mask will work.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Chang2012
Still A Newbie

Post by Chang2012 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 pm

It's very difficult to find a Vietnamese man named Charlie. They're all named Nyugen or Doh or things like that. It's very difficult for me.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 pm

For full-face protection it must be a hard paintbal mask. Once you're over 18 you can elect to wear a neoprene mask if you wish, but until then you'll have to wear a paintball mask.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Ferron_Legion
Somewhat Regular

Post by Ferron_Legion » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

Either I'm blind and missed it, or there isn't anything pertaining to this but...

Are there games the MAA sponsors/attends that require the use of Mid-cap magazines only?

I ask because I'm in the process of putting together my list of parts for this year and will begin to play at more events other than Combat Paintball and was wondering if there is a magazine restriction rule, as of the moment I'm running a full hi-cap only rig but wouldn't mind dropping to mids but I'm still on the fence. If there are games that require them, I'll be buying a pack of mids but if not I may just stick with Hi-caps. I also have some friends just getting into airsoft that don't have the spare money to drop on a box set of mid-caps yet and still rely on their two or three hi-caps, so I want to know ahead of time so they can save up and get some.

Again, sorry if I missed it, I checked twice but didn't see any mention of magazine type restrictions, so I felt inclined to ask before I show up at an event one day and me and my friends can't play due to our magazines.

thetaco
Exceptionally Regular

Post by thetaco » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:01 am

Unless its a special event, MAA open sessions generally allow any kind of mag size to be used.

As for other games/organizers, its up to then. I can tell you that the TOC group tends to have the midcaps only rule in effect for alot of thier events. Also, Large games such as Breedland, Round up, Irene, etc etc etc, pretty much anything with dedicated unifroms, teams, and rule sets will have the mid cap only rule in affect. For example, at Breedland, the only way you can have a high capacity magazine affixed to your weapop is iff you were packing a SAW, M60, RPK, or any other type of squad LMG, and were assigned that role by the game organizers and/or your team commander.

EDIT: removing previous comment about midcaps as this is not the appropriate section.
"Courage isn't that you can see what lies ahead; courage means you will advance not knowing but doing at all costs."
Byron Pulsifer

Rosa194

Post by Rosa194 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Is SPF an indoor course and an outdoor course.I didn't see it anywhere.

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Rosa194 wrote:Is SPF an indoor course and an outdoor course.I didn't see it anywhere.
Outdoor only. The Facility is currently the only indoor airsoft course in the area.

Return to “MAA Sanctioned Games”