Current forum issues

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Digital
MAA Member

Current forum issues

Post by Digital » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 am

The MAA is current aware of the issues effecting the boards. At 6:15 this morning we began removing a number of spam bots. In the process and unknown error occurred causing one of the spam bots to not fully delete. In an attempt to resolve the issue we tried to reset a number of different items. As of this moment in time the result is that forums in which the spam bot posted in display that there are no posts for that area. In fact there are posts within that section it just happens that the forum cannot find the correct user to display for the last post within the section. We are currently working to resolve the issue and will update this topic as we work towards a solution.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: Current forum issues

Post by Guges Mk3 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:38 am

Who did we piss off...the Spambots are all over us today.

Time to evolve to a better system....
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:42 pm

How is this going? The forums seem to be working fine, but I'm still seeing "no new posts" in various sections, and several topics that are showing up as new and unread even though they are over a year old, or in some cases, don't exist anymore.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Clark,

There's been a lot of spam due to a technicality. Those old posts you're seeing might be a glitch between when you see it and when someone is deleting the spam bot.

We're working on it.

Gotchya
MAA Member

Post by Gotchya » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:30 am

its been spamming pretty hard lately any news on a fix?
MAA Member #105
I... am... Ironman... rih nuh nih nuh nih na nah naah naaah
Team BANGARANG!

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Part of the issue is there was a block of IP addresses that were blocked, but were impeeding access for some users.

Un-blocking that set allows more spam to get through... it will take time.

Blackcat
MAA Member

Post by Blackcat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:24 pm

so... any activity on this? I know it is off-season now but this board feels like it is falling apart :/
FORT Team - 21st Infantry Division(RIP) - MAA#46 - BATC 03-05hg - Gunfighter Level 1 - OPs Attended: 12 - Blackcat's Profile - Blog

thetaco
Exceptionally Regular

Post by thetaco » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Blackcat wrote:so... any activity on this? I know it is off-season now but this board feels like it is falling apart :/
I am also interested. I was away from the board for about four days. came back, and it seemed like 75% of the posts here were bot started. Whats going on?
"Courage isn't that you can see what lies ahead; courage means you will advance not knowing but doing at all costs."
Byron Pulsifer

genorion
Web Admin

Post by genorion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:00 am

On another forum i help with we changed the registration lockout to a question not captcha and had better results.
You did what to your computer?
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 pm

So I've noticed the last several days that these forums are running like dog-shit.

Is this a forum update (or lack thereof) issue or what??
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Rabid-Weasel
MAA Member

Post by Rabid-Weasel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Thx for mentioning it Tank, I said something to Genorikn on Sat too.
Good/bad people are having the same prob as me.
Jim
~BATC Grad 05-10
~MAA Member #91

J-Muss
MAA Membership Officer

Post by J-Muss » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Are either of you constantly being logged out?
Also the forum has been particularly slow for me.
MAA Membership Officer
I was born to be a pessimist... my blood type is "B-Negative"
MAA Member #111
Team BANGARANG!

McClane
MAA Event Officer

Post by McClane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Been running slow for me to.
Team DOLPH
YIPPIE-KI-YAY MUTHAF*CKER

genorion
Web Admin

Post by genorion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Cause is unknown i am looking into it.
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 am

Last time it was this slow there was an issue with the database... Then it crashed completely.
MINAS Rangers
Add me on Hangouts for PC help!
Radthekid@gmail.com

genorion
Web Admin

Post by genorion » Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 am

Far as i can tell its not the forum its the server its on. Vendor says nothing is wrong but are going to look deeper.
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 pm

genorion wrote:Far as i can tell its not the forum its the server its on. Vendor says nothing is wrong but are going to look deeper.
How much access do you have to check for a DOS? Also is there any piggy back sites on your host? I once had a wiki I was trying to set up slow down all of my websites.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Fri May 03, 2013 6:06 am

EMO,
The problem is the forum is hosted on a shared cluster. If one of the other sites that the hosting company has on our cluster begins to take up a lot of bandwidth either because of a DDoS attach or other means it will bring all sites on that cluster to a stand still. There really is only three ways to resolve the issue. Request to be moved to a different cluster, the host decides to kick the client that is causing issues, or switch to an entirely different plan that does not have you in a shared environment. Those are typically your main options.

As far as having another application slow your entire system down, sounds as though you have a deeper issue there. Unless of course it was Confluence, then I completely understand, and it was eating up all of your memory. Damn Java applications.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Digital wrote:EMO,
The problem is the forum is hosted on a shared cluster. If one of the other sites that the hosting company has on our cluster begins to take up a lot of bandwidth either because of a DDoS attach or other means it will bring all sites on that cluster to a stand still. There really is only three ways to resolve the issue. Request to be moved to a different cluster, the host decides to kick the client that is causing issues, or switch to an entirely different plan that does not have you in a shared environment. Those are typically your main options.

As far as having another application slow your entire system down, sounds as though you have a deeper issue there. Unless of course it was Confluence, then I completely understand, and it was eating up all of your memory. Damn Java applications.
What was interesting about what was slowing down my sites was a simple wiki open source. Removed it and everything was fixed. I never took anymore effort to look into it. I noticed during slower traffic hours the website was a lot faster.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Sat May 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Assuming that both your web site and the wiki were running on the same database of course your site will be faster with less people on it. The number of database connections will free up and the turn around will be quicker. As the number of connections pick up the wait time to get to the database will increase as there are less connections available within the pool.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Sat May 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Digital wrote:Assuming that both your web site and the wiki were running on the same database of course your site will be faster with less people on it. The number of database connections will free up and the turn around will be quicker. As the number of connections pick up the wait time to get to the database will increase as there are less connections available within the pool.
I meant the MAA site. My apologies.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Return to “MAA Official Business”