Board problems

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Rabid-Weasel
MAA Member

Board problems

Post by Rabid-Weasel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Has anyone else been having issues with the boards lately? I have seen a ton of double posts, and have a number of issues myself.
I also got an error a number of times today, where the site wouldn't even show up.
Jim
~BATC Grad 05-10
~MAA Member #91

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: Board problems

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Yeah lots...been going on for a month now.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, got a general SQL error this morning

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:42 pm

I've been getting slow load times, time-outs, and SQL errors for a while now. I also have one computer that cannot log on, the log-in screen just reloads every time I try ... not sure if that's a forums problem or computer problem.

In regards to double-posting, for those that might read this and don't already know: when you hit the "submit" button, your post is created, whether or not the following page loads. If you go back and hit "submit" again, you will double-post. Every time I submit a post and get a page load error, I always go back and view the thread I was posting in, and every time the post is there.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:45 pm

I have noticed all these problems too. It does not load at times and other time I get the general error. Quite often. I am patient though. :P
Call-sign:Excalibur
Leader of Black Wood Company
"I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men." -Malcolm Wallace

Airsoft is not about winning or losing, it's about playing safely, with respect and all of the good times that we have.

Shock&Awe
Extremely Regular

Post by Shock&Awe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 pm

I've had very annoying load times. I know I am not a techie, but it seems kind odd considering the board is mostly text.
Former Airborne Infantryman 2011-2015

Molon Labe

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Shock&Awe wrote:I've had very annoying load times. I know I am not a techie, but it seems kind odd considering the board is mostly text.
Mostly text, sure. But these boards have ~ 200,000 posts, with lots of images in lots of them, and are very heavily trafficked. That's a lot of work for the database, and when it gets hit hard, it won't always be able to keep up.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:45 pm

The SQL issues the other day were a result of one of the hosting companies database servers going down. I too have noticed that the forums seem to load quite slow lately. I have been looking into the issue and have not come up with a final solution. Please be aware that the issue is under investigation.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Digital wrote:The SQL issues the other day were a result of one of the hosting companies database servers going down. I too have noticed that the forums seem to load quite slow lately. I have been looking into the issue and have not come up with a final solution. Please be aware that the issue is under investigation.
Digital, my hero.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 am

Great Job...much snappier.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Shock&Awe wrote:I've had very annoying load times. I know I am not a techie, but it seems kind odd considering the board is mostly text.
Trust me its more then just text. Forums use a mysql database and PHP code to give real time posting. The SQL constantly changes as people post. So over time the SQL become loaded with thousands and thousands of posts. A file that your trying to access may have errored during loading.
MINAS Rangers
Add me on Hangouts for PC help!
Radthekid@gmail.com

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Just had this happen to me.

Tried stopping by a few hours ago, no joy... came back and had failed log in attempt thingy...

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:43 pm

been getting a message saying I have exceeded max. log in times.
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

mau5
Extremely Regular

Post by mau5 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:05 pm

that happens to me once a month or so when somehow it automatically logs me out while it's still on keep logged in so it makes some kind of glitch... you have to find another way to the boards, I think I went to the MAA site then went to the forums link and then it showed me as logged off. So I think it's a problem with trying to go direclty to the forums that messes with the keep me logged in when it auto signs out... who knows.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 am

Mau5,
What your explaining is your cookie that is stored on your system to keep you logged in expired. You will never stay logged in to any site forever unless they are deleting your cookie and recreating it on every page you go to. If any site were to do that its a very large hit the site would take each time a page loads. Although most of the load would be on the client side it would still be noticeable in a way.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Meith.Killer
Extremely Regular

Post by Meith.Killer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 am

I usually dont have problems loading the forums but getting to my message box takes forever, half the time it times out
Whats the scouter say? HIS FPS IS OVER 9000!!!!!!!
   ▲
 ▲ ▲

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 am

Meith.Killer wrote:I usually dont have problems loading the forums but getting to my message box takes forever, half the time it times out
How many messages do you have in your inbox? I noticed mine was running slow as well. I had well over 300 pms still in my inbox. By deleting all messages I no longer needed the UCP seemed to load a lot faster.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Meith.Killer
Extremely Regular

Post by Meith.Killer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am

lol I have some 300 messages, didn't even occur to me to delete some messages
   ▲
 ▲ ▲

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:15 am

Please try removing some messages and let me know if you are still having an issue.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Meith.Killer
Extremely Regular

Post by Meith.Killer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Deleted a lot of my old messages, works great now
   ▲
 ▲ ▲

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I cleared my inbox last week.

Have been using lots of different computers. All of them these boards are slow as heck; tons of time out errors, ect.

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:29 pm

faust wrote:I cleared my inbox last week.

Have been using lots of different computers. All of them these boards are slow as heck; tons of time out errors, ect.
Same. I appreciate all the work that the webmasters must do.
Call-sign:Excalibur
Leader of Black Wood Company
"I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men." -Malcolm Wallace

Airsoft is not about winning or losing, it's about playing safely, with respect and all of the good times that we have.

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Painfully slow today. Some pages are taking up to a minute to load, while others are just timing out.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Yep. I was aware there was a major issue with the board today. The crappy part about is I have no voice in order to call the hosting company and complain to them. I did open a support ticket, with no response as of right now. As most people know that have been on a shared hosting server, you are at the mercy of all of the other users that are on your cluster. If one of the users is getting attacked by a DDoS or even just using a lot of bandwidth in general there is nothing much you can do other then complain abut it to the hosting company and hope for the best. Our current contract with our hosting company is up this coming September and we have already begun researching somewhere new to move to. We are currently seriously considering moving off of a shared host and onto our own VPS. We have started weighing the risks of moving to a VPS and so far we have noticed there are more pros then cons. So as the months get closer we will begin preparing the move and will keep you all posted on how everything is going.

I have considered creating a twitter account for times like those we ran into today to inform everyone what the status is with the web site and it could help going forward as well when we move the site from one host to another.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 pm

How about changing hosting companies?

What are you paying now?

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 am

We will for sure be changing hosting companies. I don't believe we will be going back to a shared hosting though as that is where many of our problems lie. As far how much we are currently paying, we bought a two year contract with GoDaddy in 2009 when we left Powweb. I believe when we signed up we paid ruffly 5.99 a month.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

If and when you do switch I recommended one of 2 options. We currently use Gator Host which is awesome and pretty good, or go with a smaller host. I find them to be a bit more reliable. You just need to find the right one that will do anything you need them to do for you.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

genorion
Web Admin

Post by genorion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 pm

powweb is evil, goddady is lazy (this is from personal experience) i have everything with hostgator now and while they have a few hiccups now and then i have found them very reliable and very fast to answer tickets.
You did what to your computer?
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:12 pm

genorion wrote:powweb is evil, goddady is lazy (this is from personal experience) i have everything with hostgator now and while they have a few hiccups now and then i have found them very reliable and very fast to answer tickets.
YES! and there live chat is amazing.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Mon May 30, 2011 6:03 pm

The boards are still ridiculously slow.

Something needs to be done, or the admin power needs to be given to someone who will get it done.

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Mon May 30, 2011 6:36 pm

I would be willing to let MAA piggy back off of my hosting. We use the business plan at Hostgator if any of the admins are interested they can send me a PM or e-mail.

I wont force you guys to pay a fee at all. I just like helping people out. More money in your pockets and more use of my bandwidth.
Last edited by EMO on Mon May 30, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon May 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Edited... I didn't need to make that as it ended up. I am firm in my belief that digital and other admins are workigto solve this problem.

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Mon May 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Roger. I see a couple months go by, with no progress made, I start to get worried.

As far as offering to help, I'd be glad to. Admins, PM me or drop me a call if you would like to take me up on this.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue May 31, 2011 9:27 am

We are at the mercy of our current hosting provider. We are currently, and have been, searching for a new hosting provider. Please do not think for one moment this hasn't annoyed us either. As many of you should know choosing the right hosting provider is not something you should take lightly. The market has been flooded with cheap hosting providers out there. Its a matter of sifting through them all in order to find the right one for us that will fit our needs.

This in no means can be just an over night change. As we being to narrow down our results we will keep you all posted. Until then if you have a suggestion on a hosting provider you like please pm me or email the webmaster@mnairsoft.org email address and provide us the following information
Name
Url
Rates
length of time you have been with the provider
number of sites you have running with them

Thank you.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Tue May 31, 2011 3:46 pm

I sent you a PM digital. If you have any questions or are in need of assistance send me a PM.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Finally got someone from GoDaddy to acknowledge that we are having a speed problem. They saw this from inside their network and they are currently testing it from out side there network as well. Hopefully this problem can finally be resolved. Either way I am happy that someone at GoDaddy has acknowledged that the board is running slow and sometimes cause the page to try and download the php file that should be loading.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Update: After talking with the support tech and him talking to the server guys, ofcourse the board starts to run a little faster. He did give me some tips on how to monitor it better and his personal email to report and issue to. Also gave me a way to prove that the site is having issues. Hell or high water this issue will finally get resolved.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Rabid-Weasel
MAA Member

Post by Rabid-Weasel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks Jon for checking into this, it has to be frustrating for new users and experienced alike when pages will not load.
Jim
~BATC Grad 05-10
~MAA Member #91

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 pm

We are currently experiencing the same issue when I called them before. I sent GoDaddy the error log they were looking for if it ever happened again. I am expecting a phone call back from them right now to discuss options.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Really glad we are moving forward on this, but you are still looking into switching, right?

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:25 pm

We are still possibly looking at either switching hosts or switching off of shared hosting. The support tech I talked to this even suggested we look into a virtual private server which is one thing we have been looking into. They also gave me some insight this evening as to a few reason why our site is running slow. One of the major reason is we are still on one of their legacy server clusters. If we wish to migrate, something I am currently discussing with the other officers, to their new grid cluster there is a chance that the forum could be down to up to 72 hours. We are currently discussing when / if this should happen. It is sounding as though we should take the change of being down for up to 72 hours and aim to see if we can have it done this weekend. No major games are going on and it is the 4th of July weekend which means people may very well be busy with other items.

If we do decide to go this route we will make sure to give the membership no less then 48 hours notice of when the forum and site will be down. I will suggest we use our facebook page and possibly open up a twitter feed to let users know how the migration is going and when we expect to be back online.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 pm

You have voting going on so you cannot do it this weekend unless you plan on waiting until after the voting is over.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 am

Downtown your concerns with the MAA membership voting on new officers will be noted. The other issue as already stated is there is currently no events being planned for this weekend and it is an extended weekend which makes for the prefect time to do the move. Every other weekend this month has something going on and being planned for. If the move does happen this weekend the officer voting and nominating process can always be extended due to the down time.

Again it has only been talked about doing it this weekend as of right now. Nothing has been set in stone. Once we have a better idea when we are going to give GoDaddy the go ahead we will make sure the membership and all board members are informed no less then 48 hours in advance.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:23 pm

I agree with Digital's logic this upcoming weekend; I know I won't be on them much.

DT, I don't think it will be much of an issue for Gabe to extend voting a couple days to still give the vote a full week to be up.

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Not worried about it at all. I was just noting a concern I have/had. I understand that there is NO good time to do this. Especially with a very active board like ours.

I just want to make sure that the overall voting process (no matter what position) goes through without the hint of problems.

But I know Godaddy's Team is good as we deal with them on a monthly basis. But our forums have never had the issues that this board has.

I am just glad it is getting done.

Return to “MAA Official Business”