Airsoft Surgeon Modified Tanaka M870s

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Jin
Posting King

Airsoft Surgeon Modified Tanaka M870s

Post by Jin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:09 pm

This is something I'm a bit curious to know how the MAA would rule on for skirmishing.

As many of you may know, Airsoft Surgeon sells a modified version of the Tanaka 870 that has had the inner barrel removed and headspace modified to accept 2 different kinds of shells for more realistic firing.

Buckshot

Which basically lets you load it up with up to eight 6mm BBs or a few 8mm BBs with a wadding behind the BBs and a little plastic cap on the end of the shell to keep em in there.

AND

Slugshot

Which works on the same premise but instead of loading it up with BBs each shell holds a single 1.9g or 3.0g rubber slug.

Both shells can take 134a, Green Gas, or CO2 for various levels of power output and I'm curious about where these would fall under MAA skirmishing rules. My gut is telling me those rubber slugs are going to be a "NO GO" but I could be wrong about that, I suppose if the velocity of the 1.9g rubber slug equaled out to the same or lower velocity as a 0.2g BB at 450 fps it might be okay but somehow I imagine it's going to shoot a fair bit harder than that.

The buckshot shells on the other hand should be okay I'm guessing? Since there's no inner barrel or tube holding the BBs in a line I get the feeling the velocity is going to be about the same whether you load it with 1 BB or 8 BBs. And since it's effective range is around 70 feet on green gas I can't imagine those BBs could be traveling too fast. I'm not even sure if you could chrono it properly with this kind of shell though. It's basically a downsized M203 lol

So, rule makers, what sayest thou? Would a modified Tanaka 870 with either of these shells be okay under MAA rules?
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Re: Airsoft Surgeon Modified Tanaka M870s

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Erik would have the final say, but my call would be a "No" on the slugs unless they were part of a controlled prop. I don't think they are necessarily dangerous, but would exceed our filed power rating if they were able to leave the barrel.

The buckshot would be subject to the same as any other shotgun. We would try and chrono it the best we can.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Jin if you wanted to go that route then you can always go with the CL shotgun, I think it even uses the same shells.

this may not help any but here is the AATV guys reviewing it.

http://airsoft-news.eu/comment.php?comment.news.3202
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Rudedog
Team PALADIN

Post by Rudedog » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 am

Sorry to change the subject
Hey Jin something i've been meaning to ask you why is your hovercraft full of eels? And do you need help getting rid of them?
"There are NO medals in Airsoft, but you can play like there are"

"You may talk the talk and walk the walk, but do you look the look?"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:03 am

:lol:
I was wondering if someone would notice that! But lets not dwell on my hovercraft or the eels, they're just fine...

Wolfwood, I totally understand if the rubber slugs would be disallowed. I've seen/heard from plenty of people who've been shot by them and never heard of any real damage, but they do seem like a potential safety risk if they were to hit someone in the throat or some other sensitive area. It would be great if they'd be allowed but if not I would certainly understand.

As far as the buckshot goes it sounds reasonable to chrono them same as any other gun. Load 1 BB in the buckshot shell, run it through the chrono, and see what it does.

Dark Zero, thanks for the tip but... umm... the Airsoft Surgeon modified Tanaka shotguns are the CL shotguns. Same thing :mrgreen:
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 pm

From what I understand the power of these shotguns is relatively low, because of the lack of an inner barrel. Its about on the same level as high quality shower shells for m203's.

I would love to get shot by one and see how powerful it really is.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Well, I feel dumb now. time to mark that in my airsoft book.
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Return to “MAA Official Business”