Question about M60 boxmag disconnection at MAA skirmishes

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Jin
Posting King

Question about M60 boxmag disconnection at MAA skirmishes

Post by Jin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 am

The long and the short of it is that I know the rule for MAA skirmishes when using an LMG is that when leaving the field you must disconnect the feed tube from the gun, clear the chamber, and pop on a barrel blocker.

But, I'm stuck in an odd situation in that my A&K M60's boxmag feed tube is all but impossible to disconnect without sitting down and taking a good 5 minutes or so to remove and disassemble the boxmag and gun to get at the feed tube. Disconnecting the feed tube is easy on a M249, but not so on the M60.

So I am wondering if perhaps I could use an alternate method of making the gun safe between games? What I am suggesting is that I would put the gun on safe, disconnect the battery from the gun so it could not shoot, disconnect the battery from the box magazine so it could not feed, and of course put on the barrel blocker. This would be relatively quick and easy to do and would render the gun just as safe (if not more so) than disconnecting the feeding tube, without having to sit down on the field and spend 5 minutes at the end of each game disassembling my gun and then spend another 5 minutes before the next game reassembling it.

So, Gabe and company, would this be an acceptable method of rendering my M60 safe between games?
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

Digital
MAA Member

Re: Question about M60 boxmag disconnection at MAA skirmishes

Post by Digital » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:27 am

The way we have worked it in the past as not all box mags are easily taken out is to switch the gun to safe, put the sock on, and turn the box mag off if its auto feeding. This is what I have been doing every game for the past year with my m249 as the box mag is not easily disconnected unless you remove the box mag first.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:45 am

Yeah, usually a mag that is not feeding is considered safe. Turn off the box mag, clear the chamber, set to safe and barrel sock.

Also, some people will leave their guns outside of the no-fire zone as well. I don't blame someone for not wanting to do that, but I've done that with my MG36 when I didn't wanna lug around the C mag. Just leave it 20 feet into the goggle zone and collect it when you go back.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Most excellent! Thanks for the headsup on this guys, that method should work just fine.
Disconnect the power from the boxmag's feeding mechanism, clear the chamber, safe the gun, and pop on a barrel blocker.
Got it. :)
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

Return to “MAA Official Business”