Question Regarding 6mm M500 Shotgun Chronoing

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Jin
Posting King

Question Regarding 6mm M500 Shotgun Chronoing

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Just a quick question I was was wondering about that I couldn't find the answer to by searching this section.

Before I get to my question, here's a little backround info...
The M500 shotgun in 6mm caliber (both ACM and Marushin varieties) fires 5 BBs at once. It is fed by 3 internal magazine tubes that each hold 60 BBs and are stored in the shotgun's magazine tube. When one tube runs out you just rotate the mag tube end cap and it feeds from a new tube. Now I've counted the number of BBs these tubes hold very carefully and each one holds exactly 60 BBs, meaning that if they were loaded to full capacity you'd get exactly 11 shots out of each tube, each shot firing 5 BBs at a time.

So what I'm wondering is, "At an MAA game, would the M500 shotgun be chronographed by shooting the standard 5 BBs at a time or would it be chronographed by only loading a single BB in it?"

I ask because this is a very important question in determining whether or not I could use this gun at an MAA game. When you load it properly as it was meant to be loaded with 60 BBs in each tube it will always fire 5 BBs at a time and never less, with each BB traveling at an FPS around 280 to 300. However, if it was to be loaded with a single BB (which wouldn't happen if the gun was properly loaded) I believe it would be over the MAA's current FPS limits.
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Re: Question Regarding 6mm M500 Shotgun Chronoing

Post by Wolfwood » Thu May 21, 2009 8:54 am

Actually my last test was under 400FPS with just one BB on my ACM under about 68 degrees with green gas.

The problem is a ref cannot guarantee:

A) It was loaded properly

or

B) It will feed properly

So it needs to be tested with one. Since the new limits are 450, you have a fighters chance of getting it under the limit.

I have a can of 134A I keep with it too, as I would switch to that if the green gas was firing hot.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Thu May 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks Wolfwood!

I understand the point of view on this, you have to go for the worst case scenario and assume that it is possible the gun could get underloaded and end up firing a single BB at one point. Very good to hear that your M500 chrono'd under the limit with green gas and a single BB. That gives me hope that I still may be able to field one of these beasts at some point.

So thanks much and I'll keep my fingers crossed :)
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Thu May 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Jin, as frustrating as it is....I own several guns that I am not even allowed to play with under normal circumstances. My ACM and Marushin shotguns are amongst them. That said, with our new rules (which is technically only for this summer) you may be able to use it.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Thu May 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Yeah, I understand... you gotta make sure it'll still come in under field limits under every possible circumstance.

I've been asking around a bit about the 6mm M500's power with one 0.2g BB and green gas and I've been getting mixed reports so far. Wolfwood's experience of under 400 velocity is promising, but I've had 2 other people tell me that they got around 550 using green gas and one 0.2g BB.

So who knows... I suppose worst case scenario I could always run 134a or a mix of 134a and green gas to tone the velocity down a bit.
MAA Member #83

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Thu May 21, 2009 9:55 pm

When I shot it with 1 there was a bunch of gas that spat out with it, so everyone's mileage my vary.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 am

You could also shorten the inner barrel, that might give you the drop in FPS you need.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Return to “MAA Official Business”