Board Upgrade - January 5-6, 2008

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Jack

Re: Board Upgrade - January 5-6, 2008

Post by Jack » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:27 pm

There is something wrong with my "temporary folder", too. My avatar worked fine before the switch, but now I can't get it back.

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Don't you mean right to left? Left to right would be the correct way....

*edit*
I see you fixed it :)
The night is always darkest right before dawn.

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 pm

shure as hell looks cool, it will take some geting used to
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 am

I hate to say it, but I realy dont like the new format one bit. I have a very hard time trying to read posts beacse of the whole white on black background scheme. :cry:
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

SFaux

Post by SFaux » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:24 am

Chadwick wrote:I hate to say it, but I realy dont like the new format one bit. I have a very hard time trying to read posts beacse of the whole white on black background scheme. :cry:
Studies have actually proven that it's a helluva lot easier on your eyes (causing less strain) when you have a dark background, with a light foreground color on text heavy websites (such as this one). So, it might be difficult for you to adjust to, but your eyes are secretly thanking you. :shock:

As for everyone else, I'm also having problems uploading a picture as well, either browsing through my own files, or from photo hosting sites. It appears to be well within the dimensions at 50x50 pixels, and a 7.63kb file size, so I'm at a loss.

Ballistic09
Extremely Regular

Post by Ballistic09 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:30 am

I think this style is ok, but I liked the old one better. Its hard to get used to all the user info on the right side instead of the left.

Predator
MAA Member

Post by Predator » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:38 am

Sorry for the OT but I must insist.
Ozzy wrote::|

I feel as tho I should start reading from right to left cuz my avatar switched places
DAME DESU!

Ozzy!!!!!
Been to long. Miss you in my sights of my m4 just like old times :D HAHA, Just kidding.

see you around I hope.

Great boaard update to btw. I really dig the new look and all the new features.
- United States Marine
- MAA Member #52

Miss airsoft community. Maybe next year...

Xanatos
A Regular

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:42 am

Problem/Suggestion
Custom Avatars aren't working

I cannot Upload an avatar, or provide a URL for one...

I have tried a PNG and JPG Pictures, and they don't work...

This is the one i want
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5117/avatarjp6.png
^---- you see how nice that looks all transparent and molded into the board no matter what skin the board has?

This one doesnt work also (and its Ugly)... (was just a test if jpg's work)
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8607/avach6.jpg
Transparent PNG's own...

Blackcat
MAA Member

Post by Blackcat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:22 am

I like it.

Usually new things take some getting used to. This will too, but I like it.
FORT Team - 21st Infantry Division(RIP) - MAA#46 - BATC 03-05hg - Gunfighter Level 1 - OPs Attended: 12 - Blackcat's Profile - Blog

gtochad
A Regular

Post by gtochad » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:42 am

only thing i dont like so far is avatars being on the right kinda throws me off other than that good job on the update!
The machine gun is a much overrated weapon, two per battalion is more than sufficient.
- General Douglas Haig, 1915

Cotton
FoRt Team

Post by Cotton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:43 am

Like just about everyone else, I can't stand the avatars being on the right. I really hope that gets changed. But other than that, I think it looks pretty cool the way it is. It has a very next gen, almost futuristic look to it.

I also like the GIGANTIC space you have to type replies as well.
Cotton
FORT Team
Oh, I think it (the "language") conveys my anger/disgust quite effectively. ~Tank

Kooter
Somewhat Regular

Post by Kooter » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 am

Cotton wrote:Like just about everyone else, I can't stand the avatars being on the right. I really hope that gets changed. But other than that, I think it looks pretty cool the way it is. It has a very next gen, almost futuristic look to it.
I agree that it will take some getting used to, but I think the avatars on the right is a nice touch. I think it adds to the next gen look.
If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then your just an old sour fart!

b_rik
MAA Member

Post by b_rik » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 am

med!c wrote:My username was uhhhhhh, deleted????

Not happy, and this background makes my eyes want to fall out.

I am guessing it has to do with the ! in my name, because there are over half of the original member numbers that have been deleted, but regardless they were bots anyways.
would you like some cheese with that whine?
MAA Member 61, BATC 04-07.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:35 am

You can now upload avatars via a link.

Digital, do you have the path to the old avatar directory?
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:15 pm

User upload avatars has been fixed. Found an error on the server.

Med!c,
only users I personally deleted were those that have not activated their profile yet. Sorry if the server, or myself if I did, deleted your profile. Good to see you back.

All users,
I would like to try out having the avatars on the right for a bit. phpbb.com has been running it that way since they started developing phpBB 3.0 and it has grown on me quite a bit. Personally i find it easier to read the forums with out having to see who posted what each time. I will post a poll in about a week or two to see what peoples true, not initial, opinions are of it.

I will also look into other themes or for sure changing the colors on the current one. Its going to take time however. I have a lot of things that I put on the back burner to get this done. Including another web site that I need to get finished. Its going to take time to get this forum how we like it just like it took time to get the last one. Feel free to post any suggestions you find wheather it be a different theme you think would look better, a mod, or other suggestions you might have.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Thank you Digital....and Wolfwood....for all your work on this.

All....lest we forget that Digital and Wolfwood do all this work in their spare time, for free (Dig's previously back burner'd jobs were jobs he gets paid for), for the benefit of the club. It may not be what you were used to and all the bigs might not be worked out, but a conversion of this scale done in 48 hours is great and we owe them our thanks.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Agreed Gabe, great work web admin guys!

I must say, I rather like the new color scheme, and second the fact that in actuality white text on a darker background is better for your eyes and has been proven to reduce eye strain. I'm still on the fence about the username / avatar on the right though, I agree it makes it a bit easier to read, but I find it annoying to have to look far to the right whenever I want to know who posted something.

I'll also second the request for an RSS feed to be back, also not hugely important, but it would be nice.

Overall though, I really like it!

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Bunny wrote:... but I find it annoying to have to look far to the right whenever I want to know who posted something.

the posting user's name is also at the top of each post just under the Subject name.

TKtank

Post by TKtank » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:48 pm

All the new features with this upgrade is great. Thanks for the upgrade.

SFaux

Post by SFaux » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks Digital and Wolfwood for getting on top of things so quickly, It's nice to have a little avatar again.

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:30 pm

Well, I want to thank Schmee, he figured out what was 'wrong' with my signature and fixed it... as far as I can tell (unless I'm missing something) it was just changing "Darkred" to #800000... so, thanks man!

Xanatos
A Regular

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:33 am

As far as having stuff on the left or right doesn't really matter, everyones used to the left because that's most likely how its 'always' been

A shoutbox might be nice... good for guests and simple questions not threadworthy?

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:49 am

Xanatos wrote:A shoutbox might be nice... good for guests and simple questions not threadworthy?
Most likly not going to happen since you cant really moderat them all that much.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Scuzz
MAA Member

Post by Scuzz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:10 am

Am I the only one that noticed a significant drop in their personal post count? I wouldn't care if it was like a couple hundred, but I had 3700-3800 posts and now I'm only showing 2600... that's nearly 1/3 of my posts missing. What's the deal? Did all the posts that used to be in archived forums get removed? It doesn't appear any of the other major posters took a hit, so I'm confused...
My actions out of the coffin are often blamed on teens in gangs that have recently claimed the streets
See I'm disguised like the wolf who feigned a bleat in order to get close enough to maim the sheep
-Egami Rorrim

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:40 pm

I'll look into it for you scuzz. I did however do a complete database transfer and nothing should have been lost be we are finding out that some has, IE med!c's username.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Keyser
MAA Member

Post by Keyser » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Looks good gentlemen. I appreciate all the hard work you've put into making this a quality board.
-Cheers
Morris Team (The sexy one.)

MAA Member 71

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Rooster
MAA Member

Post by Rooster » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Thank you to all of you guys who put all the effort into upgrading the boards!!! ~Salute~

I have to admit I am not a big fan of the avatars on the right or the layout, but , hey I just use the boards and don't maintain them so I will live with them however you guys make them. (Unless you make them pink or some god-awful viking purple...)
Rooster
PALADIN
-------------------------
MajWinters636 - "tittle says it all..."
Rooster's Profile

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:54 pm

When clicking on a link in the old system, it opened a new window. Now, it just takes you to link. Is this going to be changed, or am I going to have to get used to it? I keep closing my browser window accidentally...
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:06 pm

This likely will not change. You can always right click on a link and do the "open in a new window/tab".
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 pm

I'll get used to it easily. Its more just curiosity.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:31 pm

You can also hold the Shift key and click the link, I like that method better personally.

NotBatman
MS40 Rangers

Post by NotBatman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 pm

Ok, I'm just gonna come right out and say it.

The thing I don't like about the new layout is that when the change was made, everyone stopped talking about zombies.

Other than that, I think its great and all and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into maintaining such a fine board (that I'm currently defiling). I just dont understand why the zombie thread had to die in the process...
MAA Member #64
MS40 Rangers
BATC Graduate - 07/08
BATC OpFor - 05/09

Scuzz
MAA Member

Post by Scuzz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Digital wrote:I'll look into it for you scuzz. I did however do a complete database transfer and nothing should have been lost be we are finding out that some has, IE med!c's username.
Thanks Jon.
NotBatman wrote:I just dont understand why the zombie thread had to die in the process...
Don't you mean undie? :D
My actions out of the coffin are often blamed on teens in gangs that have recently claimed the streets
See I'm disguised like the wolf who feigned a bleat in order to get close enough to maim the sheep
-Egami Rorrim

Schmee

Post by Schmee » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:21 pm

One thing that I can't remember if the Old system had was when you click a topic it brings you to the last post, now it just opens up to the first topic, really annoying when trying to open multiple page topics, will this be changed or will it remain as it is now?

All said and done you guys have done a great job and the board is workable now despite unfamiliar features, I could live with it as is.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 pm

There has always been a picture you need to click on inorder to go to the newest post. The new one looks like this Image.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:24 pm

Wolfwood wrote:This likely will not change. You can always right click on a link and do the "open in a new window/tab".
Lol, except he can't right-click ... nor can he middle click to open in a new window with Firefox :P
Schmee wrote:One thing that I can't remember if the Old system had was when you click a topic it brings you to the last post, now it just opens up to the first topic, really annoying when trying to open multiple page topics, will this be changed or will it remain as it is now?
You can also click on the page number buttons after the topic title to jump to a certain page.

And holly crap you can retroactively quote now! When responding just scroll down and click "quote" on any post and it will insert it at the cursor. That is fucking sweet! It's the little things like that that impress me normally, like the fact that smilies are now added at the cursor and not at the end of the post. :D

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Schmee

Post by Schmee » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Digital wrote:There has always been a picture you need to click on inorder to go to the newest post. The new one looks like this Image.

Aye that is there, just not as easy for lazy people like me. But I shall make do.
Bunny wrote:
And holly crap you can retroactively quote now! When responding just scroll down and click "quote" on any post and it will insert it at the cursor. That is fucking sweet! It's the little things like that that impress me normally, like the fact that smilies are now added at the cursor and not at the end of the post. :D

Clark
'Tis awesome! Hopefully it will help cut down some repetitive posts. Really is a good forum system. I also love the fact that the smiley's stayed the same. :D

Cotton
FoRt Team

Post by Cotton » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 pm

Bunny wrote:

Clark
That is pretty nice. I also like little online flag that appears in the corner by your avatar.
Cotton
FORT Team
Oh, I think it (the "language") conveys my anger/disgust quite effectively. ~Tank

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:02 pm

Bunny wrote:
Wolfwood wrote:This likely will not change. You can always right click on a link and do the "open in a new window/tab".
Lol, except he can't right-click ... nor can he middle click to open in a new window with Firefox :P
I can.....

Keyser
MAA Member

Post by Keyser » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:08 pm

trippy uses a mac.
Morris Team (The sexy one.)

MAA Member 71

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:11 pm

Gotcha, when he said Firefox I assumed that was the reason.

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 pm

you can right click with macs. Allways could too, just the mice that came with the computers up until a few years ago were all one button. Because it wasnt needed.

Trippy, If you have a one button (or a lappy) hold Ctrl and that will act as a right click.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Actually, to you uniformed PC users, Macs have come with a four button mouse standard for the past three or four years.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

Xanatos
A Regular

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:02 am

I think a Reputation system is something to be considered.

Some people need to be held accountable for stupid posts
Other people need to know it even if they haven't read a particular users posts, they can make decisions if its worth trusting the person or if they are known to be shady or unfriendly if they have a low reputation.

I'm not sure if phpBB has a mod like that...

*pause*
*return 1 minute later*
google search returned something like this
phpBB.com Forums
Although i do not know anything about that particular mod there could be other popular versions...
(oah and i guess it would have to be for this version of phpBB... so maybe they dont have the mod for newer versions yet?)

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:53 am

If you spend very much time on here, it becomes fairly obvious who knows what they are talking about and who is stating hearsay.

As for people being held accountable for stupid posts, programing that in shouldn't be necessary if you have a memory that lasts more than three days.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Xanatos wrote:I think a Reputation system is something to be considered.
It's a consideration. Our board isn't as big as Arnie's where something like that is necessary. It also tends to become more of a popularity vote as opposed to a real reputation rating.

What we will likely be implementing is a better way of tracking buyers and sellers. I would like to iron out the basics first before putting that into place.

And yes, it needs to be for this PHPBB version, but I imagine a mod will be available soon.

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:58 pm

That's actually a sweet idea Wolfwood....good job haha.

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:44 am

I still hate the coloring scheme. it makes my eyes want to cut themselves.
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

Mac/Pistol Man
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Mac/Pistol Man » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Chadwick wrote:I still hate the coloring scheme. it makes my eyes want to cut themselves.
Ahhh!! Are your eyes putting eye liner around themselves too?
lol... Emo eyes...

I agree, though. This color scheme is a little harsh on the eyes.
But, I will be patient until we get the old trusty skin back...
I'm not a professional airsofter.. But I'm pretty damn close.
I buy broken/project guns! PM me!

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 pm

one thing i have found that i dont like as much as the old one is when you log out and log back in the post you havent read still show a new post icon. do you guys understand what im saying? so if i dont really look into a topic it stays red until i look at it. i liked before how if you logged out then back in it all wouldnt be new posts again...
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

Return to “MAA Official Business”