Board Upgrade - January 5-6, 2008

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Board Upgrade - January 5-6, 2008

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:40 pm

It's Upgrade Time! Every couple years the MAA Board needs to be upgraded to a newer version to give us access to the features and benefits that comes with progress. The Admins have been looking into a new board for months, and have been patiently waiting for the phpBB group to go "gold" with their new board, phpBB 3.0. A release date was finally set, and we are ready to go!

We have done extensive tests on the release candidates, and we are very excited about the results. There is some good news with this upgrade and a little bad news as well. The good news is some of the great new features that we will be able to use now. Some of those features include: Having control of the profile to include Age Fields and Airsoft Info, Better Spam Protection, Better forum organization(Subforums may be on the way), Better group management to give more refined control to moderators, Better Admin control, and hopefully more as we learn it!

So what's the bad news? In order to move to this new board, we need to bring the forum down for a weekend. For some of you this may mean the only bright spot in your otherwise dark days will be gone. But don't panic. The board will only be down for a couple days.

Currently, the plan is to upgrade over the weekend of 1/5/08-1/6/08. We do not have a concrete time this will go down or back up, but we don't expect it to take too long. We will be updating the main web site, http://www.mnairsoft.org, with news of how the update is going or if we may be down for longer then expected. If you have any questions or comments let us know!
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:24 pm

Does this mean forum names get reset?

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Nope. All posts and users will be retained, including history.

You won't lose anything. In fact, it might not even look much different.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Cotton
FoRt Team

Post by Cotton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Will the color schemes change again?
Cotton
FORT Team
Oh, I think it (the "language") conveys my anger/disgust quite effectively. ~Tank

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:38 pm

Cotton wrote:Will the color schemes change again?
Dunno yet. Thats a maybe.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm

Wolfwood wrote:
Cotton wrote:Will the color schemes change again?
Dunno yet. Thats a maybe.
I hope to have a template that looks close if not almots exactly like the current one. Until we get that template up we will have a "blah" template up.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

siuss

Post by siuss » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Are there any major changes speculated?

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:41 pm

There are a lot of back end upgrades that will allow us to moderate and organize the boards much more efficiently. These are the primary features we are interested in. Other than that we will be able to do multi threading, groups, and layout changes much more easily.

Digital and Wolfwood have spent far more time reviewing the features so I'll leave it to them to describe more.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 pm

As far as users, the things we are most excited about is profiles that are actually useful (fields to list your guns, gear, etc), we'll also look into adding subforums to better organize info, also enforcing some of our rules automatically like images in signatures, etc.

It won't be a huge change, but there will be some cool stuff.

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:24 am

nevermind, if there is a "box" now, will it be carried over?

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:30 am

bikemancs wrote:nevermind, if there is a "box" now, will it be carried over?
???

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:54 am

If you are speaking as far as profile boxes are concerned yes. The standard profile items will still be there. We just have the option now to add in custom ones.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:25 pm

Gotcha, the nevermind was in reference to something answered before, I just missed it

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:30 pm

Ah yes. And when we start making changes, we'll have a thread for suggestions (mostly just to laugh at the dumb ideas and do what we want anyway), but I am sure people will have good ideas for fields to add to profiles. Give us a chance to build the base first though.

Cotton
FoRt Team

Post by Cotton » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:38 pm

Wolfwood wrote:(mostly just to laugh at the dumb ideas and do what we want anyway)
Nice.

Is there any way to make it mandatory (new users and old) to fill out fields like age, general location, ect. All I'm saying is it's great to have all those profile features, but what good is it if nobody uses it? There are a few other forums I frequent where that information is available but no one seems to take the time to fill it out.
Cotton
FORT Team
Oh, I think it (the "language") conveys my anger/disgust quite effectively. ~Tank

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:36 pm

Cotton wrote: Is there any way to make it mandatory (new users and old) to fill out fields like age, general location, ect. All I'm saying is it's great to have all those profile features, but what good is it if nobody uses it? There are a few other forums I frequent where that information is available but no one seems to take the time to fill it out.
Yeah, but we will want to be careful on how we implement this. It will be scaled from posts asking everyone to fill in their age field to investigating the effects of putting in software requirements, etc. But yes, this feature is one of the reasons we are being aggressive about upgrading.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:07 pm

Rest assured we will be holding our board members to a higher standard once we have the features of the new board configured. I.E. We will start banning and or deleting accounts that do not have appropriate personal information such as ages and real locations. "Age: 100, Location: Somewhere in the black" will not be acceptable.

There is also much better built in Spammer protection and user management....which will make our board statistics much more accurate.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Gingerbreadman
MAA Member

Post by Gingerbreadman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:31 pm

I say that we go back to the blue background. Go old school on all the new users....

Speaking of that, I remember after the last changeover there was an iuuse with pictures and such only appearing as a URL with the tags on either end. Will this be an issue with the new system?
Gotta get back in the game.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:25 pm

GINGERBREADMAN wrote:I say that we go back to the blue background. Go old school on all the new users....

Speaking of that, I remember after the last changeover there was an iuuse with pictures and such only appearing as a URL with the tags on either end. Will this be an issue with the new system?
I doubt it. Last time we swapped from one board to another type. This time its a straight upgrade. I didn't see any issues when we tested, but we'll double check.

gtochad
A Regular

Post by gtochad » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:23 pm

just curious as to what benefits if any this will make to the average poster i know its gonna help the admins/mods but just wondering what kind of new things will i notice?

sorry if this is a stupid question i tend to ask those the most :cry:

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:02 am

gtochad wrote:just curious as to what benefits if any this will make to the average poster i know its gonna help the admins/mods but just wondering what kind of new things will i notice?

sorry if this is a stupid question i tend to ask those the most :cry:
In Theory less spam

Better Profiles with Airsoft related info (What guns you have, what ops you have been to etc)

Better organization of the board.

Not all these things will happen right away, and honestly it won't be a huge change, but we like to keep people in the loop.

gtochad
A Regular

Post by gtochad » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:43 am

custom themes wouldnt be a possibility would it?

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:10 am

We are working on creating a theme that will look similar to the one you see in front of you now. However, I fear we may not have it completed until about a week after the launch of the new board.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Hionfire88

Post by Hionfire88 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:04 am

I was looking at an old videogame forum and they had a cool funtion for the people on the forums. They had a live chat and diffrent rooms to disscuse the topic.

just thought i could throw that out there.

pm if you want to see that 1st hand.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:08 am

I have seen it, and we actually used to have one. Problem was it was empty most of the time. Also, I am not sure if it is available on the board we use.....

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:50 am

we could just have a Irc room instead. I would hang out there.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Time to bring this up again. Just as a reminder the board will be down this weekend. If you plan on going to the game you best be grabbing directions any time between now and friday after noon. Any time after that you will not have access to it.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:06 pm

I will be closing the boards in a half hour, read 10:30 pm CST. At that time the boards will be locked for any further posting. The upgrade will start then. We hope to have everything back up come sunday some time.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:30 pm

UPDATE: BOARD WILL GO DOWN AT 2300.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Re: Board Upgrade - January 5-6, 2008

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:49 pm

The board is back up. I know some people might not be happy with the look, but this is only temporary. We are going with a style that is almost the same as the old one. Its not ready yet, but will be soon.

I didn't notice this style had avatars on the right, so I am looking into fixing that.

Any other comments, or problems? Let us know!

DFSM
MAA Member

Post by DFSM » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Besides the avatar/info being on the right, I kind of like this layout.
TEAM LFN™: Hot stuff, coming through...

Schmee

Post by Schmee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Looks good so far! Trying to get the feel still. I have a question though, will it be possible to ignore updates to topics and or sections? There are sometimes I look at a section that says it has new post and they aren't relevant to me. Example: Pardus threads and Team forums.

Thanks
Schmee

siuss

Post by siuss » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Ahh just wondering because in my infenite wisdom I cant figure out the new sticky/new post/ or everything else.

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Ahhh! My eyes! They burrrrrnnn! :cry:

But no, seriously, glad the board is back up and I'll be looking forward to seeing the final skin for it. The gray/black/red thing is kinda harsh on the eyes LOL
Everything else looks good though :)
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm

its looking good guys! itll take a little while to get used to it but otherwise ya its cool
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

sig68
MAA Member

Post by sig68 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:26 pm

great job on the boards....thanks guys who did the update. 8)
-MARK-
MAA Member Number: 87
Graduate of BATC Class 10-07: Recruit #202
T.O.C. Member

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:27 pm

I actually like this setup... color scheme and all... but I understand i might be in the minority...

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Yeah this board pretty much took up my entire weekend... :(

Also please inform me if you find any problems...thanks.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

siuss

Post by siuss » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 pm

siuss wrote:Ahh just wondering because in my infenite wisdom I cant figure out the new sticky/new post/ or everything else.

Lol feel stupid now... Figured it out. :oops:

Schmee

Post by Schmee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Digital wrote:Yeah this board pretty much took up my entire weekend... :(

Thanks for taking the time!

Will the RSS feed be put back up? I used that a lot. and so far I haven't found it on the new version.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Schmee wrote:
Digital wrote:Yeah this board pretty much took up my entire weekend... :(

Thanks for taking the time!
Will the RSS feed be put back up? I used that a lot. and so far I haven't found it on the new version.
Can look into it but I am not sure it is possible currently. That was a mod for the old board and I haven't looked into moding this one as of yet.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
-Rifleman's Creed

Schmee

Post by Schmee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:55 pm

OK, thanks! (if its decided to leave it out no big deal, I can survive, I think ;) )

Carter
MS40 Rangers

Post by Carter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Jin wrote:Ahhh! My eyes! They burrrrrnnn! :cry:

But no, seriously, glad the board is back up and I'll be looking forward to seeing the final skin for it. The gray/black/red thing is kinda harsh on the eyes LOL
Everything else looks good though :)
Cooooooooopy that!
MS40 Ranger Team Founder/Owner
MS40 Field Owner

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:25 pm

hey Digital and Wolfwood.... is there a way to enable BBCode in signatures? My signature is still all code... not what it should be...

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:37 pm

The black grey white is really loud, strains the eyes.

shades should be a little less... Extreme in my opinion.

also, when you hit the pm button from a thread it quotes everything they said, and has no subject.

and, if you reply too a pm it doesn't automatically put in RE: (SUBJECT) anymore, which is REALLY annoying.

All that being said, I like the online banner thing. and I like that it has auto sensorship for dirtyness built in. Does this mean we can finally say Fuck openly?
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Elvis
MAA Member

Post by Elvis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Hey Jon,

Great job on the upgrade! I like the new format.

Although, I do agree that the site coloring is a little dramatic. IMO, changing the black background to white, the text to black, and lightening the grey "frames" a few shades to a RGB 128,128,128 would make things better.

Granted, it will be more "boring" but it will look easier to read...
Elvis
FORT Team
MAA Member #41
BATC Graduate - 03/05

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 pm

MCXL wrote: All that being said, I like the online banner thing. and I like that it has auto sensorship for dirtyness built in. Does this mean we can finally say Fuck openly?
HERESY!!!! :lol:
The night is always darkest right before dawn.

BlackRhino
MAA Member

Post by BlackRhino » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Your temporarily folder does not work. (for avatar uploading and related)

med!c
MAA Member

Post by med!c » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:13 pm

My username was uhhhhhh, deleted????

Not happy, and this background makes my eyes want to fall out.

I am guessing it has to do with the ! in my name, because there are over half of the original member numbers that have been deleted, but regardless they were bots anyways.
Dingleberries

Ozzy
Exceedingly Regular

Post by Ozzy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:25 pm

:|

I feel as tho I should start reading from right to left cuz my avatar switched places
DAME DESU!
Last edited by Ozzy on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"you don't want beef with people like me, so don't pretend/ I'll resurrect yo aborted baby and kill it again!/you get no props in hip hop/ like feminine men!"

Return to “MAA Official Business”