What are the MAA's 8mm BB Rules?

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

lazyguy

What are the MAA's 8mm BB Rules?

Post by lazyguy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:10 pm

I was wondering are 8mm BB's OK to use in games an what are the restrictions?

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Your question is very vague. I cannot speak as the "supreme organizer of all Airsoft games in the world....but I can speak specifically to the MAA's rules.

We've had very limited need for these but we do have them:
MAA 8mm Rules:

1. Any Person using an airsoft weapon that utilizes 8mm BBs instead of 6mm BBs falls under these rules. Unless a new rule for 8mm BBs is specified, ALL 6mm rules apply to 8mm.

2. The MAA reserves the right to disallow any 8mm airsoft weapon for any reason.

3. While chronoing, the MAA reserves the right to chrono using their own BBs.

4. While using "shotgun" type weapons, if the FPS will change depending on how many rounds are loaded (ex: the Maruzen Shotgun will fire harder with 1 BB loaded than with 3), the highest possible FPS will be chronoed (ex: You chrono with one round in the Maruzen example above).

FPS Limits:

All Full Auto and General Purpose Limits
(limited to the same joule power as 6mm)

Weight.........Indoor......Outdoor....Sniper

Single Round Shotgun and other Bolt Action Limits

These special rules are in place as the 8mm round disperses more energy over a greater surface area. Because of this, slightly higher FPS's are permitted for shotguns in Single-Shot mode, or other 8mm weapons that fire a single round. The player must make the game organizers aware that they would like to use these rules, and the game organizer must agree. The game organizer reserves the right to disallow these adjusted speeds.

Weight...........Shotgun Indoor......Shotgun Outdoor
Many MAA Member's have 8MM guns and know they shoot hard. It was difficult for us to write these as their velocity is part of what makes them so fun.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Ghostbear
Extremely Regular

Post by Ghostbear » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:35 pm

Not to add confusion.

But, what about shotty's like the Maruzen M500 that shoots 3- 8mm bb's at the same time?

Mukappa56
Team PALADIN

Post by Mukappa56 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:41 pm

4. While using "shotgun" type weapons, if the FPS will change depending on how many rounds are loaded (ex: the Maruzen Shotgun will fire harder with 1 BB loaded than with 3), the highest possible FPS will be chronoed (ex: You chrono with one round in the Maruzen example above).

Does this help? hope so.
MK56
Team Paladin
Professionals
-------------------
Attend a Safety Certification Course class and pass the test.

Ghostbear
Extremely Regular

Post by Ghostbear » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:25 am

Sure, it does.

It makes any M500 that anyone owns illegal in a MAA game. I shouldnt say illegal, but impossible to use. At 3 bb's it chronos at 310 with 134a. With 1 it chronos at 485. ( I did have a 520 fps hit, but I only did two shots with single bb's so I will go with the lower one, if I were to argue with the higher velocity, the effects would be more dramatic and make the gun even less of a performer )

There is no physical way, aside from drilling holes in the barrel to vent gas out that it would be under the limit.

And if the relationship is linear in the difference, to make it legal to the mandated 375 outdoor, the fps with 3 rounds would be about 239'ish. (223 if you use the higher fps)

With the 310, it reaches out only 80 or so feet, so at 100 fps lower it should put the reach at, what... 60 or so.

Not that it matters much to me, since I dont play MAA games, but it does make anyone wanting to purchase such a shotty think twice, and those that bought them find out that they have a non-usable gun if thinking of using them in an MAA based game.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:26 am

Ghost,

I'll have to pull out our FPS info....as our 134A tests were not as high as you listed. Our HFC22 tests were above you listings.

Believe me, I'm aware of the awesome power of the M500. I use HFC22 in all my gas guns, all of them....which does mean....yes, I have not used my own M500 since these rules were released. Also, though it's not listed....we didn't use .2 rounds for our tests (as I'm not aware of .2 8MM BB's) rather I think we used .27's as the lightest rounds we had.

Again, I will have to review our data and maybe retest these figures....but these rules have worked for us....and for games such as OP: Asylum and Codename Thunder 3, which used our rules for 8MM guns.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:22 am

There are lots of guns out there that, as sold, cannot be used in MAA (or many other) airsoft games.

We don't have rules to permit anything you purchase to be fielded. We have rules to keep people from getting hurt. Especially games where Minors are involved.

Keep in mind temperature affects gas FPS ranges. In our tests with 134a, the M500 could be used. If you tested yours in 90 degree weather, that may be why it shot harder.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Ghostbear
Extremely Regular

Post by Ghostbear » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:28 pm

I have no problems with that.

I didnt say it to be a thorn in your sides, if you want, you can delete the comment outright. I dont have a problem with that. I will be happy to re-test the chrono results that I got to compare to others you got. The chronograph I have has been comparison checked with 4 other chronographs so I am pretty sure of the data that I get being accurate. But, I wasnt testing the M500 for any specific reason, just to see what I got for fps from it. So, I will retest and do it with intent this time.

WW, I think you read it as a hit to the rules, it wasnt, just stating that if you have a M500 (based on my numbers) you couldnt use it. And I didnt say that the rules were supposed to allow me to field it or anything else.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Oh, I know. I was just clarifying that because we do have a large contingent of Minors who play, we have to make hard decisions for our rules. I know you weren't trying to be a thorn or anything. I personally like it when people question the rules. I'd rather people question them and understand than not read them or not understand them. None of your comments were out of line in the least bit.

A bit of repitition, but temperature makes a big difference in gas FPS. So you might be doing your testing in warmer weather than we did.

For an example, a pistol of mine fired 270 fps in 68 degree weather and 345 in 90 degree weather.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Return to “MAA Official Business”