RULES: MAA Sniper Rules

Public forum for all board visitors. Discuss MAA Business, Membership, Rules, Saftey Concerns, Q&A, FAQ's, etc.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Wolfwood
MAA Member

RULES: MAA Sniper Rules

Post by Wolfwood » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:25 pm

MAA SNIPER RULES

Here are the MAA Sniper Rules that have been drawn up by your officers and ratified by the membership. You will notice that only MAA members in good standing or guests that have been approved will be eligible for these special rules. However, it is important everyone knows what they are. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

1. Any person armed with a "Sniper Rifle" is considered a "Sniper." "Sniper Rifles" are defined by the MAA as any Airsoft gun which exceeds 450 fps with .20g BBs. Sniper Rifles must meet the following criteria:

- Use standard capacity magazines ONLY (no hicaps or midcaps). Hicap-style would include any winding mags. Typically Standard Mags have a maximum capacity of less than 100 rounds.

- Manual action or semi-auto only - no full-auto capability.

- Cannot exceed the equivalent energy of 650fps with .20g BBs (3 Joules). FPS and Joule measurement will be done with the BB-weight the sniper intends to use.

- Used in an outdoor location that allows these rules to be in effect

2. The use of metal or metal-coated BBs by snipers is not authorized. (Graphite is OK)

3. Sniper Rifles are subject to chronoing and/or technical inspection (to include mechbox teardown and inspection by qualified personnel) at any time by MAA Officials or Refs.

4. Authorized Snipers are restricted to a 50 foot engagement limit. Authorized Snipers may be required to pass a range estimation test.

5. Inside of 50 feet, Snipers may not engage a player in any manner (including a surrender) unless their Sniper Rifle has been set on safe and slung or grounded.

6. Snipers must be over 18 and MAA Members in good standing. Players from outside of Minnesota, who are not MAA members, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

7. If the player's Sniper Rifle is on-safe and slung or grounded, the Sniper may engage with a sidearm or other Airsoft gun which meets MAA FPS limits.

8. The MAA standard ratio of Snipers to Refs is 2:1. The MAA reserves the right to regulate or restrict the deployment of snipers in a game based on field size, scenario, available refs, and other discretionary criteria. Any Sniper must identify themselves as a Sniper before a game starts, and must get approval for each game to play under these rules.

9. MAA Sniper privileges may be revoked at any time for any reason.

10. The Safety Officer, with concurrence from the Association President or Senior MAA Officer on the scene, has the final word on any issues pertaining to Snipers.

11. These rules do not pertain to any Airsoft gun that shoots under 450fps with .20's.
Last edited by Rabid-Weasel on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Great stuff! :)

Nice to have an update to the sniper rules to make them a little more flexible.

I did have a quick question about these updated rules though...
Basicly, in many APS type bolt action spring sniper rifles, when you upgrade the internals enough for it to be considered a "sniper rifle" you must also install a new trigger assembly. When you install a new trigger assembly with sears capable of handling the weight of the spring and pressure from the upgraded internals (Such as the Laylax Zero Trigger set) it dissables the safety on the gun in the process.

I could see this being a safety issue for a semi auto AEG Sniper Rifle, but since we are talking about a bolt action spring gun here would it not be a problem?

The rules state that for a sniper to engage with a sidearm they must have their rifle on safe and slung or grounded. However, if your running a spring powered bolt action rifle thats been upgraded enough to be considered a "sniper rifle" odds are that your safety has been disabled by the necessity of installing a more durable trigger unit and sears.

So how would this situation be handled under the new sniper rules? Would you have to have the bolt open or mag out in order to be able to engage with a sidearm?
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 pm

To answer Jin's question...

If the gun's safety has been disabled, you can still safe the gun by pulling the bolt to the rear and leaving it there (it should not fire in that position). Or you could just drop the magazine and clear the gun (depending on the type of gun).

The bottom line is, inside of 50 feet, the sniper must drop, safe, or sling their sniper rifle before engaging any players with a secondary weapon. What we are trying to prevent is the sniper firing the sniper rifle inside the 50-foot range during the "heat of the moment."
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

siuss

Post by siuss » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:46 pm

So just to be clean these limits only pretain to if the fps is too high so if i really like a psg9 and had it at 350 fps would it count as a regular AEG?

DFSM
MAA Member

Post by DFSM » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:49 pm

If the gun fires under 400 FPS, no matter what it looks like, it isn't a sniper weapon.
TEAM LFN™: Hot stuff, coming through...

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:16 pm

DFSM is correct
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Seal Pup
Still A Newbie

Re: NEW INFO: MAA Sniper Rules

Post by Seal Pup » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:07 pm

In my expirience, graphite bb's aren't rifle freindly.

The graphite gunks up the inerds and barrel, readying it for a jam. When this happens you can get plastic shrapnel.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 am

Seal Pup wrote:In my expirience, graphite bb's aren't rifle freindly.

The graphite gunks up the inerds and barrel, readying it for a jam. When this happens you can get plastic shrapnel.
What Graphite BBs have you used? What Gun? In a Maruzen APS2, the graphite BBs never did what you were describing......

Is this first hand knowledge or rumour?

Seal Pup
Still A Newbie

Post by Seal Pup » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:26 pm

Easy easy, lol. Its my own expirience.

I used the degicons .3s as well as there .43s. The weight is very nice, but the coating is not. So i sent the rest through the wash in a sock.

I am using and sent these bb's through my TM VSR-10.

Is your barrel tighbore by any chance?

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:23 am

It was my roomate's, but it was in a shared collection for 3 years.

The barrel is tightbore.

The problem you had was with Degicon graphite coated BBs in particular (I think maybe even just the .30s). This isn't the first time I heard that.

Southern Bulldog
A Regular

Post by Southern Bulldog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:28 am

im liking the new rules alot better
Stars and bars forever confederate by choice union by force
"all you need is my name rank and favorite cereal"
BATC GRAD 10-07
BATC GRAD 07-08

Protagonist
Fairly Regular

Post by Protagonist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:17 pm

thank you soo much because i have been wondering weather to buy a sniper or not.
Weapons are only as good as the one who is wielding it.

insane mercc

Post by insane mercc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:13 pm

So...let me get this straight. You can be younger than 18 and be a sniper but it has to be under 400 FPS?
"Knowledge without Wisdom is a curse."

Gamertag:insane mercc
Callsign:insane
Common Username: Insane mercc
Email:crosshair_45@hotmail.com

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Correct. If you are not an MAA member your sniper rifle must meet the MAA FPS rules which would mean it needs to shoot under 400FPS using .20s.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Even an MAA member has to be at least 18 to run any "sniper" class (anything over 400 w/.20) weapon at an MAA sanctioned event.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Stealth_Recon
MAA Member

Re: RULES: MAA Sniper Rules

Post by Stealth_Recon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:47 pm

So, just to clarify things: You have to attend MAA events and "be known" to become a member of MAA. You have to be a MAA member to use a sniper rifle. So, that essentially means that if your a sniper but not a MAA member, then you could never become a member unless you use something other than a sniper rifle for numerous months at MAA events just to become a member. Am I correct in all these assumptions? Just asking, because I am 47 and not in the greatest shape. Just not sure I want to run around with some AEG getting all winded (and shot to hell) just to impress the membership in hopes of becoming a member. I chose the sniper role simply because it suits my age and activity level but still allows me to engage in a fun activity with my son (and his friends). So far I am hooked on the sport and would like to become more active in it, hence my interest in becoming a member.
MAA Member #99
BATC 10-11 Graduate
Aka = TAMARACK

G&G M4 (Combat Machine)
DBoy MK16 (SCAR-L)
JG MK5A4
JG SIG 552
DE M56A Tri-shot Shotgun
CA G36k

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 am

Stealth_Recon wrote:Am I correct in all these assumptions?
Technically: yes.

Keep in mind though that in this case the MAA defines a "sniper rifle" as anything shooting over the current FPS limits (at the moment, 450). Basically, you need to be a member to use an airsoft gun that shoots over 450 FPS, whether it looks like a "sniper" or not. If you have a gun that shoots under 450 FPS, whatever it is, you can use it at an MAA game without regulation.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

LastStar007

Post by LastStar007 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am

These rules need to be updated in accordance with the MAA's new 450 fps AEG limit.

Rabid-Weasel
MAA Member

Post by Rabid-Weasel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 am

Updated.
Jim
~BATC Grad 05-10
~MAA Member #91

Return to “MAA Official Business”