ERIK'S GUIDE TO USED GUN PRICING (USED=USED)

Dealers, FS: For Sale, WTT: Want To Trade, WTB: Want To Buy, FST: For Sale or Trade.

READ SALES RULES BEFORE POSTING!!!

Posts that violate Sales Rules will be deleted with no notice.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Erik
MAA Member

ERIK'S GUIDE TO USED GUN PRICING (USED=USED)

Post by Erik » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:29 am

I posted this on the WAA forum in response to the question "What is a used gun worth?" I thought it might benefit folks here as well.

When I consider an offer on a gun, I start between 50-75% of the price I can get it for new and go from there. Some considerations:

1. "Upgrades" to me are worthless. I have no idea who installed them, if they were installed correctly, if they are an accident waiting to happen, or if they will improve performance. Unless I personally know the person who did the "upgrade" I consider any "upgraded" gun to be a parts gun from square one.

2. Many first time gun buyers pay waaaay more for their guns than they needed to. Selling the gun for them can be a bit of a shock. Like a used car, a used gun automatically devalues rapidly when you take it out of the box. I don't care what you paid for it; my only consideration is what I could get it for new.

3. Keep in mind many experienced players either buy from brokers or deal direct with HK retailers. This means we can usually get a gun new for less than some people's sale price. Local markets will affect this of course.

4. Adding mags, batteries, etc. can sweeten the deal, but not by much. Most AEGs come with at least one mag & one battery. Beyond that I'd sell those accessories separately.

5. While internal upgrades are worthless to me, external upgrades (metal body, RIS, etc.) should increase the value of the gun. Again, you are not going to recoup 100% of your purchase price on these. I've seen most players have great success in parting these items out and selling them separately.

6. Any broken parts on the gun (even cosmetic) are automatically going to decrease its value significantly. The cost of, and hassle of, doing repairs can often be more than any money you'd save buying a broken gun. Furthermore, broken parts imply rough use.

I hope this information is useful. Selling an Airsoft gun can be a harsh reality.

See below for Gabe's comments!
Last edited by Erik on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

breech
Midwest Airsoft Guerrillas

Post by breech » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:33 am

i don't think i've ever bought a used upgraded gun for the sole reason that i don't know who was working on it

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:41 am

Private Jackson wrote:Excellent guide. One point I think should be made is that you can't just take a price off RedWolf and factor 75% of that; I've seen that done before, and it just can't be so. You must factor in what guns cost to ship from overseas. Sure that pistol only costs $80 on Redwolf as opposed to a US retailer, but they'll charge you $40 shipping. You must weight what a gun plus shipping would cost from RedWolf and then from a place in the US like Kastway Airsoft. That should provide a ballpark area for what "retail" is, and then you can move on from there with the "used discounts".
It all depends. Buying from a broker you can get much better prices than buying direct. Reason being the broker buys multiple items and shipping is combined. While prices may vary, I've purchased items thru a broker for very little markup or shipping costs.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 am

Agreed....great guide.

Before I add my tidbits....let me say to the sellers....sell at whatever price YOU want. You set your price. Don't let old guys and cheapskates shake your resolve. Just be informed about how other's think, before you get upset by the fact your gun might not be selling here.

7. No one, and I mean no one, cares how much YOU spent for your gun and gear. Some guys order from brokers, some directly from overseas, some from US based retailers. Every place you go has different prices and different hidden fees. Customs fees, shipping fees, etc. On top of that, 90% of the time new players are just not educated enough on how to buy to get as good a prices as veteran players. To be perfectly blunt, I haven't paid over $200 for a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW AEG in years, including shipping. How? Because I know people, I make deals, I work the system if you will. To me, when I see a used gun for sale, and the person wants $250+ for it....I think they're crazy and I'm not the only one. $175 is the MAX I'll buy a used gun for. You shouldn't be thinking "I'll sell this for X amount because I PAID Y amount for it." You should be thinking how much it WILL sell for....not what you wish/hope/want it to sell for.

8. Like any other sale (car, house, etc.), start high and be willing to lower. Over estimate and pad your price....then be able to come down (it makes you look generous, like you're doing a favor for the buyer). If you increase your price....you just cut your legs out from under you. No one will buy unless THEY are desperate. You want to keep the leverage in a sale, the second you lose it, you're either not going to sell or end up taking a huge loss.

9. When selling used guns....expect to take a loss. The key is not to take a monstrous one.

10. Consider parting out everything. Guges has been doing it for years. Buying brand new guns and parting them out....and making more money than the gun was worth whole. When you have a used gun, sell the mags and batteries separately. Sell the add on's as stand alone products. If you have to, part out the gun. What ever you have left, and you will probably have something left, sell for dirt cheap as a grab bag, the buyer gets whatever is left.

11. Trying to get your price for a new gun plus accessories, regardless of what a great deal you think it is, is always harder. Just because YOU think it's fair, doesn't make it so. I already mentioned this....but not all Airsofters are equal in regards to buying stuff. You have to realize there's a market value, and that's different from your value, as well as all the different "levels" of players who are used to paying X. Know the market....
Last edited by THE ARCHANGEL on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

genorion
Web Admin

Re: ERIK'S GUIDE TO USED GUN PRICING (USED=USED)

Post by genorion » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 am

sticky save
You did what to your computer?
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

Return to “Sales - Airsoft Items ONLY”