US Special Forces loadout help?

Forum for those interested in accurate Vietnam impressions and re-enactment using Airsoft. This is not a political or historical section, discussions will be limited to the gear and guns appropriate for the era and theme based games.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

cmyonkoski
Somewhat Regular

US Special Forces loadout help?

Post by cmyonkoski » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:29 pm

I have always loved the Special Forces, and know a couple current and former Green Berets. I was wondering how their gear differed from the standard U.S. gear at the time. I am aware of the job they do as force multipliers, so I know they probably have several elements of the ARVN troops (I know the VN Tiger Stripe camo, for one.) Do you guys have any tips for me?

Also, is it true the G3A3 was used by them at the time? I have been looking to buy one, and I heard somewhere that Special Forces used them. I was curious since I though they would used US standard issue weapons, like current Special Forces do (as far as I know)

As you can tell, I am new to impressions, but not new to the love of airsoft. I will do my own research, but any info you guys have will be helpful! Thanks in advance!
If someone is coming to kill you, get up early and kill him first.

"If I'm going to get my balls blown off for a word, it's going to be PoonTang"-Animal Mother

My Second Amendment beats your First Amendment anyday.

Erik
MAA Member

Re: US Special Forces loadout help?

Post by Erik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

SF units in Vietnam wore a variety of rigs, but the most common were the following:

1. Standard M1956/M1967 kit. Believe it or not, the majority of SF troops carried M16s and had gear similar to everyone else.

2. STABO harness, adapted as a load carrying platform.

3. M1956 kit with the WW2 BAR belt. The BAR ammo pouches held several M16 magazines.

Weapons used other than the M16 included the Uzi, MAC10, M3, and Mp40 (weapons not available in Airsoft not listed). Ammo pouches for these was usually the M3 pouch or old Thompson pouches. There are also photos of SF soldiers using captured AK chest rigs to carry ammo.

Claymore bags were also popular for carrying magazines and grenades.

The G3 was not used in Vietnam. The HK33 was issued in small numbers to Navy SEALs. These were not true HKs; they were copies made under license in the US by Harrington & Richardson.

Google around and you will see a lot of this info. Also recommend the Osprey "Men at Arms" book series for references.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

cmyonkoski
Somewhat Regular

Post by cmyonkoski » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks, Erik! Very informative. I am just getting into impressions, and I sort of wanted an ambiguous weapon that I could use for my Bundeswehr load out I am working on (already have plenty of info on that one).

This is where I got my G3 info from: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/lofiv ... 13190.html I know, always better to do research first hand.

Again, thanks for the info!

"If I'm going to get my balls blown off for a word, it's going to be PoonTang"-Animal Mother

Yoroiden
A Regular

Post by Yoroiden » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Is there a particular era you're looking at? An early SF adviser ('62-'64) could be equipped quite differently from one in the early '70s.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
http://www.riverratsairsoft.com

cmyonkoski
Somewhat Regular

Post by cmyonkoski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Yoroiden wrote:Is there a particular era you're looking at? An early SF adviser ('62-'64) could be equipped quite differently from one in the early '70s.
I was thinking earlier. Between 62-62 would work. How were they different?

Yoroiden
A Regular

Post by Yoroiden » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:27 pm

The basic OG-107 uniform was pretty much the same through the war, but was more common than jungle fatigues early on. Jungle fatigues did evolve some, early ones had a few extra 'features' and exposed buttons, later ones were simplified and covered up the buttons. Camouflage in the early years tended to be a mix of French, British, and older US patterns, along with tiger stripe; later on it was largely settled on tiger stripe or ERDL. If patches were worn in the field, they were generally the full-color versions in the early days, not subdued. Various French-style bush hats were also fairly common. US WW2 HBT caps were also around.

The classic jungle boot was rather rare in the early years. Often the standard all-leather boots were worn. There were also early "Okinawa" jungle boots around, and some advisers used old French canvas jungle boots.

Gear, while M1956 was used through the whole of the conflict, one was more likely to see pieces of WW2 equipment still in use in the early period than in the later years. Most pics I've seen of early advisers show most didn't carry much more than the basics.

Weapon-wise, older US and some foreign weapons were used in some quantities. I've seen pics of early advisers carrying B.A.R.s, M3s, M1/M2 carbines, Thompson SMGs, French MAT49s, German MP40s. These could still be seen in some numbers right to the end, but were more common early on. M14s were still around. The early AR15s sent to Vietnam under Project AGILE had a number of differences from the standardized M16A1.

A good thread can be found here:
http://www.vietnam-airsoft.com/phpBB3/v ... =11&t=1705
Last edited by Yoroiden on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats

cmyonkoski
Somewhat Regular

Post by cmyonkoski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Wow, I always figured they remained pretty much static throughout the war. That is really cool. Since I'm not going to attend and Vietnam re-enactments or anything, if I had the right gear do you think I could get away with a wood stock G3A3? The G3 is crucial to an event I will be attending next year.

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:57 pm

That link of ASF you posted does not have any historical basis for the G3 in Vietnam, in fact the OP there even admits his kit is not period correct for 'Nam.

I looked high and low and cannot find any information that supports the G3 was used in Vietnam. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Typical re-enactment standards require two forms of historical documentation to support a claim. For example, two photos of soldiers armed with G3s. I can't find any at all.
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner

cmyonkoski
Somewhat Regular

Post by cmyonkoski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Erik wrote:That link of ASF you posted does not have any historical basis for the G3 in Vietnam, in fact the OP there even admits his kit is not period correct for 'Nam.

I looked high and low and cannot find any information that supports the G3 was used in Vietnam. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Typical re-enactment standards require two forms of historical documentation to support a claim. For example, two photos of soldiers armed with G3s. I can't find any at all.
Yeah, that's what I figured. When I saw that, it gave me a glimmer of hope, so I posted it here to see if anyone had any information. I have looked as well and haven't found anything. Might have to keep my M14, then! Thanks for the help guys.

StrongHoldAirsoft

Post by StrongHoldAirsoft » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:20 pm

would a magpul be usable?

AMR
Fairly Regular

Post by AMR » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 pm

StrongHoldAirsoft wrote:would a magpul be usable?
They would have been made out of what ever they had lying around para cord and duct tap was probably the most commonly used.
Here is a good read about it on another forum
A.L.I.C.E. may not be the prom queen any more, but she is still one hot milf

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Erik wrote:
3. M1956 kit with the WW2 BAR belt. The BAR ammo pouches held several M16 magazines.
KOREAN WAR BAR belt. The WWII one is tan, and the Korean war one is OD, and also has the ability to have a pistol belt threaded through it.
Erik wrote:
Weapons used other than the M16 included the Uzi, MAC10, M3, and Mp40 (weapons not available in Airsoft not listed). Ammo pouches for these was usually the M3 pouch or old Thompson pouches. There are also photos of SF soldiers using captured AK chest rigs to carry ammo.
The M16A1, not the A2. The Uzi would be fine, but the Mac 10 was never used in Vietnam. the MP40 was RARELY seen with the early ADVISERS in Vietnam, and would not be appropriate for SOG (I would think your doing SOG if your gonna use a BAR belt)
Grimes: Why aren't you shooting?
Waddell: We're not being shot at yet.
Grimes: How can you tell?
Waddell: A hiss means it's close. A snap means-
[a bullet whizzes close by]
Waddell: Now they're shooting at us!
-Blackhawk Down

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Yoroiden wrote:The basic OG-107 uniform was pretty much the same through the war, but was more common than jungle fatigues early on. Jungle fatigues did evolve some, early ones had a few extra 'features' and exposed buttons, later ones were simplified and covered up the buttons. Camouflage in the early years tended to be a mix of French, British, and older US patterns, along with tiger stripe; later on it was largely settled on tiger stripe or ERDL. If patches were worn in the field, they were generally the full-color versions in the early days, not subdued. Various French-style bush hats were also fairly common. US WW2 HBT caps were also around.

The classic jungle boot was rather rare in the early years. Often the standard all-leather boots were worn. There were also early "Okinawa" jungle boots around, and some advisers used old French canvas jungle boots.

Gear, while M1956 was used through the whole of the conflict, one was more likely to see pieces of WW2 equipment still in use in the early period than in the later years. Most pics I've seen of early advisers show most didn't carry much more than the basics.
Uniforms. early on, they used the OG 107 utillity fatigues. these can normally be found at Army surplus stores with USAF patches on them. for later war, get some slant pocket Jungle fatigues (not OD BDUs) or tiger stripe.

Boots. for 1965, use the old leather boots, but for almost every other year, wear jungle boots. those are about $20 if you find them for a good price. also, the green berets would not use the BAR belt. the BAR belt was only used by SOG.

And about the mac 10, none of those photos are from actual combat. yes, they may have had them, but no, they wouldn't use them, as the ROF is way too high, and the accuracy is horrid.

The Army was issued full M56 in the early years, and used it throughout the war, with a few M67 pieces mixed in (if the GI was lucky enough to find some) so your best bet for SOG is M56. it depends on what year you wanna do though. I could help you out a lot more if I knew that.
-Blackhawk Down

Yoroiden
A Regular

Post by Yoroiden » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 pm

cmyonkoski never once mentioned S.O.G., but did make references to SF's adviser role and did state interest in the early advisory period, so talk of what S.O.G. may have done is not relevant to this 2 year old thread.

But since you brought it up...

There's plenty of photos around showing a wide variety of different uniforms and camo patterns used in the early days by various SF advisers.

The B.A.R. belt was indeed used by SF. Like it or not, the belt was used by a few different groups/units during the war, not just S.O.G. If you doubt me, check out this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... etnam-war/

According to John Plaster's books on S.O.G. (and keep in mind he was in S.O.G.) the MAC 10 actually was used in combat by some S.O.G. teams (I think the HALO guys), though they were quickly disposed of due to the shortcomings you listed.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Well pardon me! I didn't realize that advice was no longer needed. I'm sorry for spewing my BS all over the thread. forgive me for being an ignorant fool. look, to the person who made this thread, just go on the Vietnam airsoft website, and make an account there. they have veterans of the special forces who will give you any advice you want on an SF loadout.

-Fox
-Blackhawk Down

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:55 pm

you guys do realize that this thread is OVER 2 years old... so simmer.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 pm

My apologies. I just like to be able to help out with loadouts like this.
-Blackhawk Down

Return to “Vietnam Airsoft Re-Enactment Forum”