Vietnam Thompson loud out help

Forum for those interested in accurate Vietnam impressions and re-enactment using Airsoft. This is not a political or historical section, discussions will be limited to the gear and guns appropriate for the era and theme based games.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

AMR
Fairly Regular

Vietnam Thompson loud out help

Post by AMR » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:02 pm

is there anything special about solders issued Thompson or did they have to make do with standard issued equipment. any photos would be greatly appreciated I am having trouble find them. I am happy to take any information and thank you in advance. :D
A.L.I.C.E. may not be the prom queen any more, but she is still one hot milf

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Re: Vietnam Thompson loud out help

Post by Sharpshot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 am

From the sounds of it, very few were issued to soldier during the Vietnam war, but, due to its .45 caliber rounds, it was very effective in the jungle. I believe Snipers were usually the first to get them when they were issued.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101
One of the First Airsofters to have Skydived into an airsoft event

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:01 am

According to what I've read, the Thompson was never an issued item. In David Hackworth's book About Face he says the ARVN had Thompsons that had been acquired through lend-lease during WW2 (the guns had actually come through China when it was a US ally). Several GIs and their units acquired the Thompsons in country and put them to use.

Other guns acquired in country were employed as well. Among others, the Carl Gustav "Swedish K", French MAT49, Danish Madsen, and German Mp40 were all used as "supplemental issue" weapons.

You would most likely find these guns in the hands of troops who did not have access to M16s, or for whom using a full-size M16 was inconvenient. For example: support personnel, military police, dog handlers, rear security, aviation.

For a Thompson loadout, you would want the Thompson and some magazines (duh). Mags were likely carried in either the WW2-issue mag pouches or the newer US pouches, like the one issued for the M3 (issued in Vietnam to tank and mechanized infantry units).
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

AMR
Fairly Regular

Post by AMR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm

thank you vary much Erik and Sharpshot much appreciated and helped a lot. any more information is still welcomed

travis17ss
MAA Member

Post by travis17ss » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 pm

In my opinion, in order to be more authentic either get an M14 or M16. This is the only nam photo I've ever anyone seen using a tommy gun. This man is an advisor to ARVN troops, circa 1962-4.

Irish
MAA Member

Post by Irish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm

My father-in-law carried the Thompson in nam. He was a Seabee.
AKA "The Predicament"
T.O.C.
I love this game.
LIKE us on facebook
Hustle Loyalty Respect

AMR
Fairly Regular

Post by AMR » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:30 am

This isn't for me it is actually for my roommate. he currently has a WWII load out with a Thompson. and wants to start on Vietnam and being the poor collage students that we are he start making a Vietnam load out is with what you have and build from there.

Return to “Vietnam Airsoft Re-Enactment Forum”