M60 gunner kitlist help.

Forum for those interested in accurate Vietnam impressions and re-enactment using Airsoft. This is not a political or historical section, discussions will be limited to the gear and guns appropriate for the era and theme based games.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

acekill123
Almost A Regular

M60 gunner kitlist help.

Post by acekill123 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Hey guys im trying to make the most accurate vietnam m60 gunner loadout I can get. So I was wondering if anybody knows where a kitlist has been published or knows off the top of there head what I need to be the most accurate i can make it. Thanks
Member of Team Anarchy Airsoft
Mk.12

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Re: M60 gunner kitlist help.

Post by Shady-Cadence » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 pm

De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

centuryAIRSOFT

Post by centuryAIRSOFT » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Ok, Coming from a guy whose whole family is into military and guns, When my grandpa was in the war he wore woodland BDU'S and had a m60 and m16 a1, he had a holster and a flak jacket but they didn't have any tactical vests or anything like that there BDU'S weren't tucked in and he had a Kevlar helmet.

Yoroiden
A Regular

Post by Yoroiden » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:17 pm

centuryAIRSOFT wrote:Ok, Coming from a guy whose whole family is into military and guns, When my grandpa was in the war he wore woodland BDU'S and had a m60 and m16 a1, he had a holster and a flak jacket but they didn't have any tactical vests or anything like that there BDU'S weren't tucked in and he had a Kevlar helmet.
Both woodland BDUs and Kevlar helmets are from the 80's. Though the BDU is based on the 'Nam era ERDL camouflage.

Anyway...

Part of what you would need would depend on what particular unit you might be portraying, as different units may have had different standard operating procedures when it came to gear layouts. Time frame can also be a factor (early, mid or late war).

Also, the type of mission could dictate what kind of equipment would be needed.

Last year I was putting together my own M60 gunner loadout for "Best of the Worst 3". I asked the advice of a Vietnam vet who was also going to the game, as he'd posted a picture on the Midwest Airsofters forum showing him carrying an M60, taken from an article in his hometown paper. Here's the pic he'd posted, and the text he sent me:

Bruce Mayhugh wrote:Hello Lad, how are you doing. Here is as much as I can impart. If you look at the picture you will see my ammo pouch behind my right hip, I learned this trick from Sgt Ayres in my unit. It was out of my way when carrying the 60 on its shoulder strap on my right hip. I could rest the gun on the ammo pouch just the same as I could when it was in the front but it was not in my way when firing from the hip and not directly under me when lying prone and rolling to the right to fire the gun. I did not have ammo in my ammo pouches. In the right pouch I had one asbestos glove to change the barrel. In the left pouch I had my cleaning tools. I carried a belt of 50 around my waist, you can just see a couple of the rounds near my belt buckle. I had the rounds in the feed tray and up over my shoulder, around my neck and hanging down. A total of 4 x 50 round belts. My normal load was 250 rounds. It changed at different times but a normal platoon had three squads, and the weapons squad had 3 M60's. The platoon commander put them in the squads or massed them as he saw fit. Every man in the platoon carried a minimum of a 50 round belt of 7.62 and occasionally two of them. Since a full squad is 10 men, you got an additional 500 to a 1000 rounds per squad for the MMG's. Tripods were used in firebases only. Special Forces and other such team removed the bipod and heat shield to lessen weight, this was seldom done in line units. My first three weeks I got to carry it, the gunner fired it. After that I was finally allowed to do both. I am not wearing very much kit because it was a short insertion (light infantry). Fly in, do the mission, carrying lots of ammo, and water, and only one ration meal, and leave. Sometimes called Strikes, or Sweet Strikes by some of the guys. No humping in or out and not on the ground long enough for a planned counterattack. When the picture was taken I had only been in country for about 4 weeks and had already been in thee firefights. After 90 days in country, division asked for volunteers for the Quickie Ranger School at Bien Hoa. I was airborne qualified, so I was eligible to apply. I qualified and was transferred after training to H Company, 75th Infantry (RGR), the LRRP's for 1st Cav. I spent two tours back to back. I hope this helps.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
http://www.riverratsairsoft.com

Return to “Vietnam Airsoft Re-Enactment Forum”