Join the 9th SS - WI/MN/ILL

Forum for those interested in accurate WWII impressions and re-enactment using Airsoft. This is not a political or historical section, discussions will be limited to the gear and guns appropriate for the era and theme based games.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

unionman
Almost A Regular

Join the 9th SS - WI/MN/ILL

Post by unionman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:52 am

Looking for a German WW2 airsoft unit in the Midwest? Look no further and join the 9th SS, an already established unit.

Please PM me if interested!

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:47 pm

I too have been thinking about doing a german load out, But I definatly do not want to wear an SS uniform. I would much rather prefer a whermacht or volksturm impression. There is to much racial hatred/tension implied with the SS for me to even consider it.
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

unionman
Almost A Regular

Post by unionman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:00 pm

Chadwick wrote:I too have been thinking about doing a german load out, But I definatly do not want to wear an SS uniform. I would much rather prefer a whermacht or volksturm impression. There is to much racial hatred/tension implied with the SS for me to even consider it.
I absolutely understand your concern as I have the same hang-ups myself. However, I would argue that your premise is not really based on the facts. Simply put, there were Wehrmacht organizations with dirty hands and SS organizations with clean hands, and vice versa. The demonization of the Waffen-SS was largely a way of scapegoating one particular group to get the rest of the German people off the hook. I'd argue that if you have a problem with wearing the runes, you really should also have a problem portraying any German soldier in WW2. Nobody's hands were clean. That's the cold hard facts of history.

Remember, this is play, not reality and somebody has to be the "bad guys."

Someday I'd really prefer to do Heer, but for now I'm just getting my feet wet with a bunch of good guys.

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:29 pm

This I totaly realize that, but a vast amount of the public does not. When the vast majority of people think of the SS, they associate it with the holocaust, and massacres.
unionman wrote:
Chadwick wrote:I too have been thinking about doing a german load out, But I definatly do not want to wear an SS uniform. I would much rather prefer a whermacht or volksturm impression. There is to much racial hatred/tension implied with the SS for me to even consider it.
I absolutely understand your concern as I have the same hang-ups myself. However, I would argue that your premise is not really based on the facts. Simply put, there were Wehrmacht organizations with dirty hands and SS organizations with clean hands, and vice versa. The demonization of the Waffen-SS was largely a way of scapegoating one particular group to get the rest of the German people off the hook. I'd argue that if you have a problem with wearing the runes, you really should also have a problem portraying any German soldier in WW2. Nobody's hands were clean. That's the cold hard facts of history.

Remember, this is play, not reality and somebody has to be the "bad guys."

Someday I'd really prefer to do Heer, but for now I'm just getting my feet wet with a bunch of good guys.
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:04 pm

I think thats the general asscoiation with world war 2, the holocaust. Everyone got dirty from that war... Just go for what you like best, who cares if the "Public" doesnt like your airsoft/reinactment loadout, wat you wear is about what you want too do. Plus someone has too do it, right?

EDIT (too shady's post below): RIGHT ON! I totally agree, the camps were horrible. But airsoft isint necessairly about the history, its about the fight. So I totally agree with you, trying too portray the camps in airsoft would be... Creepy, and on top of that pretty disturbing.
Last edited by MCXL on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:27 pm

I would say the biggest key to this whole thing is this: What are we portraying? If it's straight up Geneva accords acceptable combat, then no big deal. But the day someone sets up an airsoft concentration camp, well then we're crossing a line. Wearing a uniform does not fill one with anti-semetic hatred. Re-enactment pays homage to the people who engaged in the fighting, and if I may be so bold as to say that what happened in the camps was not fighting :evil: , and no homage shall be paid to it, only solemn rememberance. :cry:

And Unionman, if you sent an e-mail to me, form it into a PM and send it here. I cannot currently access my e-mail. 8)
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

unionman
Almost A Regular

Post by unionman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Are you interested in joining the 9th, Shady? If so, drop me a PM and I'll let you know the scoop.

Return to “WWII Airsoft Re-Enactment Forum”