WWII Squad

Forum for those interested in accurate WWII impressions and re-enactment using Airsoft. This is not a political or historical section, discussions will be limited to the gear and guns appropriate for the era and theme based games.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Chadwick
MAA Member

WWII Squad

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Im thinking about starting a WWII airsoft team/squad.
If you are interested post here.
requirments-
1acurate WWII US infantry/Airborne uniform
2WWII weapons. Mp40, K98, MG 42, thompson, M1 carbine, M1 garand, M3A1, MK2, are all aceptable. MUST BE WWII era,no mp5's, ak's, m4's ect.
3 An interest in WWII.
4 Right now there is an excess of thompsons, if you have m1s or non thompsons, lmk.
5must be able to ATTEND games in Minnesota
As of now, I know that
Stuka
red leader
(me)
all have accurate wwii uniforms, or are on their way to.
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

=Stuka=
A Regular

Post by =Stuka= » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:12 pm

I am interested in this but, at this time I am about to leave for Germany till late July.
I will hopefully soon have a new Infantry uniform.
World War II Fanatic!

Risto
FoRt Team

Post by Risto » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:24 pm

We could do some WWII vs. Vietnam skirmishes... that would be funny to see, haha.
-Risto
FORT TEAM

Exotic

Post by Exotic » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:41 pm

Your problem is that the only production weapons that are made now are the 98k and the thompson, oh and I guess the m1 kit for the m14.

Red Leader
Extremely Regular

Post by Red Leader » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:50 pm

dint forgtet the marushin gbb m1 and smokeys m1, pluss there is the german and japannees side man, so u got mp40, mp44 (shoie), mg42, the jappanesse modee 1903 rifle, and side arms.

dude, i am interrested in joining, i was very excided in seeing that i was not the only guy using a tommy on the feild.
Reaper squad. member
2nd Rangers

Exotic

Post by Exotic » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:53 pm

Like I said, production models. Rifles that there are a few thousand of -- not specialty kits and expensive custom rifles.

DFSM
MAA Member

Post by DFSM » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:16 pm

Don't forget 1911s, Lugers, and Walthers.

Also, there are some 8mm M1s, Carbines, and K98s but they're kind of impractical being gas and 8mm.
TEAM LFN™: Hot stuff, coming through...

DFSM
MAA Member

Post by DFSM » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:22 pm

Top also makes an MP40.

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:27 pm

there are lots of M1 carbines out there to be had. Marushin has there garand. there is hudsons M3A1, not to mention all the german weapons. americans would have used german weapons had the need arised, and many were far superior to the american versions. just watch BoB. what does winters carry in the 2nd episode... A K98, along with numerous other troops using MP40's. soldiers used catch-as-catch can. what ever they could get their hands on. But boy would I love to see a BAR. Anyone here wanna convert a M14 to a BAR?
Last edited by Chadwick on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So, as Woodstock rocked on and the boomers got all wild on their weed, the M16 continued to be, and continues to be, the military's weapon of choice - for some weird, unexplainable reason

AustSiannodel228
Exceptionally Regular

Post by AustSiannodel228 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:37 pm

Mind you he only used the K98 because of his weapon breaking away from his jump gear.
WARNING! This poster WILL speak his mind . . . you probably won't like it.

"Everyone can die for a cause, jump on a grenade to save their buddies, be different, live for them instead." -DS DeWeber

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:40 pm

yes, but guns went down all the time. And notice when he past a dead GI he did not pick up his garand. AK 47 would be ok, but ONLY if the owner were to figure out a way to convert it to an MP44

LT Tahoe

Post by LT Tahoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:06 am

I'd be damned if I'd use a 98k over a Garand in combat.

Paratroopers are typically expected to use what they can--since resupply may not be possible--but using an enemy weapon like that is an emergency measure.

A thought--linking to some WW2 gear retailers would help people get into it. I have a number of sites somewhere that sell real and repro stuff, and can dig them up if anyone wants.

Sgt.Saunders

Post by Sgt.Saunders » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:42 am

Here's a great link: http://www.atthefront.com/
From time to time they will put some items on Ebay too.

L.T.

Post by L.T. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:12 am

my brother is a big WWII nut. he has stuff that he would never play in because it is all original. he does have alot of remake uniforms but i dont think he would use them. that aside he told me that a while ago some company made a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). he sees them for sale from time to time on ebay but there like $2000.00 and up. it would be sweet to see you guys running around with that.

L.T.

Post by L.T. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 am

Chadwick wrote:there are lots of M1 carbines out there to be had. Marushin has there garand. there is hudsons M3A1, not to mention all the german weapons. americans would have used german weapons had the need arised, and many were far superior to the american versions. just watch BoB. what does winters carry in the 2nd episode... A K98, along with numerous other troops using MP40's. soldiers used catch-as-catch can. what ever they could get their hands on. But boy would I love to see a BAR. Anyone here wanna convert a M14 to a BAR?

do they make a kit to convert a m14 to bar?

Red Leader
Extremely Regular

Post by Red Leader » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:52 am

as far as i know of, no, they dont, i know they used to make a conversion kit to turn a m14 into a fg-42. but thats about it, and as far as ww2 sites, here:

http://www.sproe.com/index.html
http://www.atthefront.com/us_head_M1.htm
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/
http://www.wwiiguns.com/index.php
http://www.airsoftmall.com/
Reaper squad. member
2nd Rangers

Exotic

Post by Exotic » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 pm

There's also the Beretta 1934 and the hudson Tokarev

Red Leader
Extremely Regular

Post by Red Leader » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:38 pm

see, chadwick, we need to open it up a bit, not just focus us on the us, but have german and japanese dressed people, have it just ww2 era, that way, more variety gets on the battlefield. like me, right now i am an american technical sargent (first sargent modern day) but i hope to get a german and a japanesse uniform (but only if the come out with a type 93 lmg :D). anyway, thats my 2 cents.
Reaper squad. member
2nd Rangers

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:18 pm

side arms are not an issure. It is the main weapon thats is most important. Remember that very few soldiers actualy carried sidearms.

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:45 pm

I have decided to revive this topic beacuse I have heard of a few people interested in WWII airsoft setups, along with those people who have thompsons.. If we could have 5 pple total it would be nice.

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:23 pm

Yeah, I'm going to get a US and German kit. I'm thinking of the 5th Inf. (Red Diamonds) for the U.S. and the 2nd Div. Waffen SS (Das Reich) for the Germans (I've already ordered the officer's jackboots) Are there any WWII enactments in MN? The only one I go to is Op: Overlord run by the FMA guys and I think it's starting to get more "historical" (ie people actually wearing the right uniform's and carrying the right weapons).
" I will show you fear in a handful of dust" T.S. Elliot
"What does not kill me REALLY HURTS!"

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:42 pm

what kind of gun(s) do you plan on getting.

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:58 pm

A TM thompson and maybe either a Broomhandle or a Walter PPK since I already have a 1911. I figure that since I'll be portraying an Untersturmf?hrer I'll have an officer's pistol and I'll just say I picked up the Thompson from a dead american.

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:05 pm

you gotta get an MP40, I hear rumors of one coming out in december. or get a top and replace the mechbox with TM.

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Who's making this new MP40? If it's cool I'll definitely buy it since the Kar is appealing to me except for the whole actual shells thing when you cock it. I just don't want to have to worry about extra shells. Hopefully someone can make a MP44 that isn't just for looks but actually performs well.

DFSM
MAA Member

Post by DFSM » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:37 pm

That's the Marushin one. I'm pretty sure the Tanaka K98 doesn't eject shells and runs on mags.

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:11 pm

http://www.ww2airsoft.com/

theres another Mp40 coming out also, I believe it might be an aeg, and much more affordable than the top is the rumor.

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 pm

LT Tahoe wrote:I'd be damned if I'd use a 98k over a Garand in combat.

Paratroopers are typically expected to use what they can--since resupply may not be possible--but using an enemy weapon like that is an emergency measure.

A thought--linking to some WW2 gear retailers would help people get into it. I have a number of sites somewhere that sell real and repro stuff, and can dig them up if anyone wants.
I would take a 98k over a Garand. The Kar98 was MUCH more accurate a weapon then the Garand, however the Garand had a higher rate of fire. Also, during a close engagement the enemy wouldn't be able to hear me run out of ammo. Nothing worse then fighting someone and the enemy hears a loud "PING" after you burned up your ammo. Now, I understand this being airsoft, that all this is inconsequential but still, if we are talking about historically, I stand by my argument

A WWII squad would be really fun and I may look into a kit. Hope this works out for you.

penko_pocko
Extremely Regular

Post by penko_pocko » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:39 pm

to second that, not only were kar98 more accurate, but they were used in TWO world wars...clearly a testiment to their suppremcy and trustworthyness

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 pm

i would take a garand over a kar any day hands down. much more accurate and more firepower with quicker reloads. and the garand lasted through nam so it has seen its war times as well!!
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:29 am

Hopefully a company like TM, CA, G&P or G&G can make a decent German gun like a MP40 or MP44 but I know that day is years away. Untill then I'm just using a TM Thompson when I play, no matter what side I'm on. I don't mind arguing with someone about how likely it is for an SS officer to strip a dead American for his weapon. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to arguing with someone about it, mainly for the funny things that I'll come up with (IMHO).

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:25 am

I also would take a garand over a kar, even though a K98 is more acurate.

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:54 am

MajWinters636 wrote:i would take a garand over a kar any day hands down. much more accurate and more firepower with quicker reloads. and the garand lasted through nam so it has seen its war times as well!!
Quicker reloads? They both had the same principle, you push a zip-clip down into the rifle and you're good to go, there was no quicker reload aside from the operator. And it isn't more accurate then the Kar98, I would just like to point that out. Also in Nam' I believe they used a M1 Carbine (not completely sure if that's its name so forgive me) not the Garand. There may have been some but the majority was M14's and M16's if I recall correctly.

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:17 am

In vietnam I thought it was almost all M16vn versions because there were new technology and they thought they were the best thing ever, but realy they sucked.

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:16 pm

ok i want to know where you are basing your thought off of. i have fired both many times and i can say thast the garand is more accurate and a better weapon overall. and they did use the garand in nam not just the m1 carbine

but in the end i guess its an opinion.
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

Red Leader
Extremely Regular

Post by Red Leader » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 pm

ok guys, i think it is time to bring this back on the road if u know what i mean. if u guys want to argue which is better the m1 or the m16/kar98k, do it in another topic. this is about the possible formation of a ww2 based group/team. now i am all go for a ww2 group. oh, just to tell u, the m1 carbine, m1 garrand, and m1a1 thompson were all used in the veitnam war... just not all were used by the americans, but by american allies. dont trust me here is the web sites:

http://www.sproe.com/g/garand.html
http://www.sproe.com/c/carbine-m1.html
http://www.sproe.com/t/thompson-smg.html
Reaper squad. member
2nd Rangers

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:49 pm

I just got boots today for my Waffen SS Sturmf?hrer impression

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos22/wgpb1.jpg

They're pretty sweet though I really should work on my U.S. Ranger impression since I'll probably use that one sooner (though not until next summer, eh). I would've gotten different boots but it's hard to find decent jack boots in a size 13 at a decent price. (And you know what that means :wink: ....it means I have to get big socks)

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:24 pm

This is deffinatly the next thing for me after I buy a car.

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:28 am

Hmm, my boots are all right for enlisted but I think I'll get boots with a longer vertical length. LOL, anyone want size 13 boots cheap? he he he.

maybe I'll just say that I took the boots off a dead schutze after my boots got all muddy or stolen by Gypsies. (No that was not a Borat reference...wink)

Turkey_Vulture
A Regular

Post by Turkey_Vulture » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:19 pm

The reason the German army used the Kar-98 and variants is because Germany, like Britiain, did not have the cash to switch to a newer weapon during WWII.
Morris Team- the "odd" one

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:31 pm

they had enough money. think about all the "wonder weapons" germany tried to produce. things like the v1 and v2 rockets, newer tanks, and planes.

fadedcorona
Extraordinarily Regular

Post by fadedcorona » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:49 pm

all I know is that I love the Kar98 and the Garand. but in airsoft I'd take the 98 but in reality I'd take the garand. Hey, but in r/l using the noise of a clip hitting the ground could be used for your advantage. if you know that people can hear you(enemies), carry an empty one, have your troops ready and drop one on the ground. The ememy would storm trough thinking you were reloading but in reality waiting for them. mmmmm. apparentally that's what people did eventually in some close quarters situations.
"Its just like it is with the stars, there are bright ones and there are those that are dim."

"Stand Still! How can I shoot you if you keep moving!"

"My eyes! The goggles do nothing!"

Chadwick
MAA Member

Post by Chadwick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:05 pm

the ping is actualy made as the clip s ejected from the rifle, not from hitting the ground.

fadedcorona
Extraordinarily Regular

Post by fadedcorona » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:03 pm

are you sure? I was quite certian that it was from hitting the ground. ofcourse it would make some noise leaving the rifle and with the spring mechanism but I thought that noise everone always thinks of, was from hitting the ground. oh well.
"Its just like it is with the stars, there are bright ones and there are those that are dim."

=Stuka=
A Regular

Post by =Stuka= » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Yes, in fact the "considerable" noise is from the En-bloc leaving the chamber. Though it makes some noise when it hits a hard surface (such as concrete) but, in those storys it must of been a very rare quite moment in battle that a German would of heard it leave the chamber. Because once you get a couple rifles going at once it creates ALOT of noise and to hear the "ping" would have been difficult but, there might of been a time that you'd be alone so they might hear it. (Which probably wasn't to common.)
Last edited by =Stuka= on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World War II Fanatic!

Chazmania006
MAA Member

Post by Chazmania006 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:34 pm

It has been stated already, but no, the 'ping' is not from the clip hitting the ground.

I've seen several enthusiastic re-enactors who like to catch the clip in the air after the last round is fired.. and the ping is definitely heared, despite the fact that the clip doesn't hit the ground.
This whole "Group StarPower" thing is just an invitation for friends to fight!
Krunk-11/26/06
He's like, a gay LaForge..
Ruud to blind Krunk-1/27/07
I'm getting smoked, with, people, in my.. smoking!!
Smoker jumped Caveman in L4D-11/22/08

skunksquatch
MAA Member

Post by skunksquatch » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm

Being the proud owner of a couple real M1's I can attest to the fact that even with a couple guns firing, the "ping" of the en-bloc is actually quite audible. I am thinking it is because of hightened senses with "danger in the air" and it is a distinctive sound in a different tonal range than what else is happening.

The real place this is an issue is when all is quiet and it is time for a tactical reload. You know you only have 1 or 2 shots left and suspect you will need more than that in the very near future as someone is close by. Releasing the en-bloc to pop in a fresh 8 rounds is very loud and tell-tale even though it isn't a full blown "ping".

Regardless, one of my WWII vet uncles has said even on a noisy battlefield it sounded like Big Ben going off to anyone around and to the actual person is seemed louder.

Added later:
My uncle said that in his unit they were taught that once you started to fire to always(unless low on ammo or got hit) fire until the en-bloc popped out and to under no circumstances to have a "partial load." If caught by the sargents, the penalties started off with "Garand thumbs and fingers"(letting the bolt slam shut on an unprotected digit) and lead up to walking point all the time.
Last edited by skunksquatch on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MS40 Rangers

Lord Ashtaroth
Extremely Regular

Post by Lord Ashtaroth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:56 pm

From Wikipedia
Ejection of an empty clip created a distinctive and unnatural metallic "pinging" sound. In World War II, reports arose that German and Japanese infantry were making use of this noise in combat to alert them to an empty M1 rifle in order to 'get the drop' on their American counterparts. The information was taken seriously enough that U.S. Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground began experiments with clips made of various plastics in order to quieten the sound, though no improved clips were ever adopted.[5] During the Korean War, American soldiers supposedly used the sound to their advantage, noting that the enemy would reveal themselves when they heard the clip eject, and would carry and throw empty clips as a decoying tactic. However, all of these reports are largely unsubstantiated, and, in reality, clip ejection noise in the larger cacophony of infantry small arms combat likely had little effect one way or another in most engagements.

Marsden Hand
Airsoft Iowa

Post by Marsden Hand » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm glad that there are other WWII enthusiasts out there, I am currently getting my Australian WWII kit together and custom building a owen sub machine gun for this very kit. After that I plan to get a German kit together.
"we put the 'soft' in airsoft" -airsoftiowa

fadedcorona
Extraordinarily Regular

Post by fadedcorona » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:31 pm

sweet! you guys have only made it worse for me. ha ha I want to buy a garand so badly. I've even latley been looking at garand stocks on e-bay to re-finish them. and then I can buy a used gun with a good bore and possibly not as good furniture so I could get a cheaper price.... wait....... this is an airsoft forum.... I should say instead, which is also true, ... I want a Marushin garand since they seem to be a good replica but I don't like their low gas capacity. I honestly wouldn't mind the limited shots if it wasn't for the gas capacity. :( I think I made a post a while back about the marushin M1Garand... anyways.... mmm it's a great gun.

Return to “WWII Airsoft Re-Enactment Forum”