BATC 0509: Greatings recruits.

Forum dedicated to the MAA Sanctioned Basic Airsoft Training Course (BATC). An Airsoft Bootcamp weekend teaching basic Airsoft safety as well as individual and squad tactics.

Moderators: THE ARCHANGEL, Erik

caveman
MAA Member

BATC 0509: Greatings recruits.

Post by caveman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Greetings recruits.
I am your Recruit Squad Leader for the 0509 cycle of the Basic Airsoft Training Course. I wanted to tell you all a bit about myself, and to give you some things to think about as we approach BATC.

About me:
I am a 0708 BATC graduate and a member of the MAA. I've been playing airsoft for approximately four years including games in Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin. I started playing with a some fiends (Notbatman, Mojocatt and MPuzzle mainly) on a small hobby farm. I lurked on these forums for about a year in which time I think I made 20 posts. My fist MAA game should have been the last indoor game at Thunder Alley. (Which was canceled because the owners didn't like paying taxes.) I joined the MAA after meeting some of the members at the MN Airsoft convention, and after seeing how hard the game organizers tried to get us a venue to play at when it became apparent that no one was going to let us in Thunder Alley on that cold, cold day. I started thinking about going for the RSL roll shortly after my BATC cycle. Driving home, I found that I was unreasonably pleased at what I had accomplished. I had learned so much, and seen such a high level of play, I wanted to continue the process. After discussing the idea with some members of the Cadre, I asked for, and received the honor of being this cycle's RSL.
Looking through the list of recruits, I see several people I have played with in the past, as well as several new names. I look forward to playing and learning with you all.

Preparation:
BATC is a short two and a half weeks away. If you haven’t already started preparing, now is the time to start. As part of your preparation, I would like you to keep a few things in mind.
  • BATC in not a game. It is training. As such, we aren’t trying to “win”. We are trying to learn. Keep the mission and your technique in mind. Don’t worry about “winning” The players making up the OPFOR are some of the best players you will ever meet. They will be holding us to a high standard.
  • If you haven’t already started getting in shape for BATC, start now. Two and half weeks isn’t a ton of time, but every little bit helps. Work in as much cardio as you can. There isn’t a lot of running during BATC, but you are on your feet and moving for most of the day. I would also suggest lunges, (you will be down on one knee a lot) and core muscles. (abs, shoulders, chest, etc..)
  • Check your equipment. Make sure your guns work. Make sure your batteries hold a charge. Make sure your mags work. If you don’t have a spare AEG, see if you can borrow one that takes the same mag/battery that your gun uses. During my rotation, I went through BOTH of my AEGs and had to use a friend’s backup. If you don’t have a working gun, you don’t get to graduate.
  • The recruits this cycle have a wide variety of experience. From people who have played in numerous larger ops, to players who have only been to open sessions. Experienced players need to come to BATC ready throw out their current playing habits and be open to learning and developing new ones. Regardless of how long you have been playing, there will be a lot of new information for you. Newer players need to ask questions when they don’t understand. (That’s true for experienced players as well.) Don’t worry if the question seems basic. It will be better for you and for the rest of the recruits if everyone understands the instruction.
  • Check out the rest of the posts on the BATC forum. Specifically:
    Common Sense Gear Guide - A great guide for preparing for a larger Op. Read it twice.
    The ARCHANGEL's Helpful Hints for BATC - The name says it all.
    BATC Study Guide: Preparing for Combat
    BATC Study Guide: Individual Tactics
  • Above all, be ready to have fun. BATC is hard work. But when you’re done, you will know you have earned your patch.
Questions about what is allowed at and during BATC should be directed to the Cadre or to the BATC Q&A thread. If you have any questions or comments for me, feel free to PM me or post them here.

BATC is going to be some of the highest caliber Airsoft you are ever going to play. Be ready for it.

A.J.
Still A Newbie

Re: BATC 0509: Greatings recruits.

Post by A.J. » Sun May 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Just to inform you all look for deer ticks because I found one on my stomach.
BATC Grad 05-09

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Sun May 17, 2009 8:59 pm

A.J. wrote:Just to inform you all look for deer ticks because I found one on my stomach.
Clear.
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Mon May 18, 2009 10:49 am

Found one on my arm in the office this morning.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Return to “BATC: Basic Airsoft Training Course”