The ARCHANGEL's Helpful Hints for BATC

Forum dedicated to the MAA Sanctioned Basic Airsoft Training Course (BATC). An Airsoft Bootcamp weekend teaching basic Airsoft safety as well as individual and squad tactics.

Moderators: THE ARCHANGEL, Erik

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

The ARCHANGEL's Helpful Hints for BATC

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Alright recruits....under a week and you'll be at BATC. I wanted to write a little helpful hints post for you so you can get prepared before the rotation. I will drop in new hints every day and encourage other Instructors as well as previous Graduates to offer up words of wisdom.

BATC is meant to be hard work but it is fun....take it seriously and it will pay you back in skill and rep.

Before I get into my first hint, I want to point out a previous post I made:
viewtopic.php?t=8879
This Gear Guide was written with larger scenario games in mind....but in the end a lot of the general tips hold true for all Airsoft games.

HELPFUL HINT 1:

Lets talk required gear and check in. All recruits should be familiar with this post:
viewtopic.php?t=18648
Most of you hopefully have everything you need. If you don't, get it. If you can't, contact your recruit squad leader and or fellow recruits and borrow it.

When you arrive on site you should have all your required gear with you or be waiting to pick it up from a fellow recruit. If you don't....don't even bother walking up and checking in. Wait until you have everything you need. Right after check in an Instructor will shake you down for all the items required for BATC. If you don't have everything you will be given a chance to acquire whatever you need but it sets a bad impression. In the event you can't get the required gear you will not be allowed to participate in the course. This list has been up for months, there should be no surprises. Now we're not heartless, if you have to leave and get something or wait for someone to drop it off for you, that's cool....but until every checkbox is marked on your sign in/required equipment form....you are not an Official BATC recruit.

Also, since you KNOW we're going to physically be checking all your gear, do yourself a favor and have it arranged so you can get to it easily. If you have to throw things out of your bag to get to stuff it's going to get messy in the barracks fast. If you're the type, make a list, organize your gear as you pack it, and have a checklist.

Just make sure you have all your required gear....
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Blackcat
MAA Member

Post by Blackcat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:02 pm

Checklists are very helpful. I suggest using one even if its not your style. Even if you have everything you need, its useless if you can't find it or lose it.

A lot of what is learned at BATC is to prepare players for larger style games, larger OPs and so on. Packing is an essential skill for attending these games, both for your living out of your home (camping or whatever it is) as well as for your game equipment.

Know where you packed something, and you will know that you have packed it. If you don't know where it is, but you think you packed it... what good does it do you?

Organize you gear so it is prepared for quick access. Plan out your rig prior to arriving! If you decided to make changes based on what you experience at BATC, thats great- but it will be easier if you have already set up all of your gear so that it is the way you like it and they way you know how to use it.

Its your gear, you should master every little detail from fast mag changes to one of those sucky on-the-field battery swaps. These are personal skills that you should be proficient in prior to going to training. I'd write more on this same topic but I have to go, and I think the point is there.

Enjoy it! Work hard and have lots of fun. BATC is one of the best airsoft experiences available.
FORT Team - 21st Infantry Division(RIP) - MAA#46 - BATC 03-05hg - Gunfighter Level 1 - OPs Attended: 12 - Blackcat's Profile - Blog

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:57 pm

HELPFUL HINT 2:

Black Cat already covered part of what my second post was going to be but I'll expound a little.

Knowing your gear is important. If you've already played with a certain setup, don't change it for BATC. Sure, if you need to add a pouch for something go ahead, but avoid adding new things....untested things.

Some recruits have used BATC as a venue to try new rigs and equipment....and paid for it. They were clumsy, uncomfortable (messing around trying to get the right fit), lost items, dropped items, etc. If you don't have a familiarity with your equipment, BATC will have struggles for you.

Examples:
  • - We do speed related mag changes on the range. Where do you put your spent mags? What fresh mag do you take? Do your pouches have flaps which slow things down? Do you have your mags BB's up or down? At a specific angle? Can you smoothly transition during a mag change or are you a fumbling mess. Instructors will be yelling, it's on a range....if you can't do it smoothly at home....how are you going to be when a DI is screaming at you....how about when you're under fire.

- Are you carrying spare rounds? Where? How will you load? Do you have a loader? Where? Can you reach it quickly? What if the rest of the squad moves out in the middle of your reload, what are you going to do?
Don't complicate your experience. Go with a good basic set up you are familiar with and avoid any hassles.

Also, know your gun. How long can it shoot before you need to swap batteries? Do you know the sound it makes when empty? When it's running low on juice? How to set the Hop Up on the fly to hit further out targets?

Knowing your equipment, all of it, is essential in being a good Airsoft Player. Finding out something doesn't work for you in the middle of an exercise sucks....
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 pm

You didn't think I forgot did you?

HELPFUL HINT 3:

This one is quick and easy and on the same theme we've already covered....but I can't stress it enough. Be prepared. Have your mags loaded and batteries charged BEFORE you show up. The worst thing that can happen is you have more free time.

When you get a break (lunch, dinner, bathroom breaks) use them wisely. Eat, reload, rest. Don't goof off. If you have time and notice a teammate needs help, help him....but make sure you're ready first. The instructors will not be swayed by sob stories. When you muster, you better be squared away.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 am

I didn't hit submit last night....

HELPFUL HINT 4:

Barracks etiquette....

There will be anywhere from 10-12 recruits in a small room with bunk beds. Space will be at a premium. When you get to the barracks, pick a bunk and make it yours. Don't spread out on other bunks or start throwing your gear all over. Keep your gear organized or at least keep it where you know it is. Many a recruit has dropped or misplaced vital equipment, then done the last minute scramble and tear apart to find it.

Respect your fellow cadets and the facility. Don't be overly messy or nasty. You're all going to have to share the space for 2 days.

Also note, that the caretaker lives right above the barracks. During the night keep your conversations down to a dull roar. They know what to expect from us so they're not going to be shocked....but respect their space as well. During the day, all bets are off....there is a lot of yelling and screaming during the day.

There is a lights out curfew (2200). Those of you used to staying up until 2AM....tough. Get some sleep. You'll need it.

Facility etiquette....

There are no women this cycle so both the down stairs bathrooms will be available for male recruit use.

The kitchen is just down the hall from the barracks. If people are trying to sleep, go to the kitchen to talk. What ever you dirty up in the kitchen, clean up before you leave. If you decide to load or work on your gear/guns in the kitchen, don't leave a mess behind. Pick up after yourselves.

From the second you arrive the BATC CADRE will be assessing you. If you leave your gun unattended in an open area, we will take it.

Remember, before ANYONE leaves BATC....we clean the site. Most times we leave the site cleaner than when we arrived. This is how BATC continues to have access to this site. We all are better off if we clean up after ourselves as we go.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:54 am

HELPFUL HINT 5:

This is it recruits. Tonight you start BATC. I wanted to throw out just a couple more things to keep in mind and remember to do before you arrive.

How many of you have reviewed the weather report? Plan for rain on Sunday. Unless it's severe weather, you will run the FTX. Be prepared and bring rain gear.

If you have a medical condition that requires medication....BRING IT!!! Let both the CADRE and your Recruit Squad Leader know what ails you. Recruits have had to drop out due to forgetting required drugs. Don't be one of them.

If you are a minor, make sure to have your waiver signed....or that your parents know they have to come in and check in with you.

If you don't have everything you need or plans to pick it up already....you are in pucker time. Get it done. Don't expect any one else to cover for you.

Make sure you have enough food and WATER for 2 days. If you run out, it will be a factor in your grading.

There is more to Airsoft and BATC than shooting guns, moving in formations and regurgitating rules. This course was created to give the recruits an over all view of larger scale gaming. From beginning (packing, preparing), middle (the actual game as well as what you do during down time, i.e. food, bathroom, etc.), to end (packing up, cleaning)....this course has been structured to teach players what they need to know to survive....

One last thing. BATC is not a game. Though you will be running missions....this is a class. A two day long ball busting class. You will be on your feet a lot. We ask a lot of the recruits, but no more than we give and what we have expected from every other recruit class. BATC is serious business. We want you all to have fun....but the integrity of the course comes first. Some of you may falter.....but the BATC Instructors, OPFOR, and volunteers will be there every step of the way to make sure you stay on track.

People have failed this class. Attendance by no means guarantees you'll pass. It's a misconception that we've heard whispers about. Every cycle we run only strengthens our resolve. If you cannot meet the BATC standard, you will be asked to retake the course.

By attending BATC you share an experience with a distinguished list of MAA Airsoft veterans. By graduating, you are on the way to joining them. Work hard. Listen. Learn. And reap the benefits. Good luck recruits.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Re: The ARCHANGEL's Helpful Hints for BATC

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:09 am

FOR RECRUIT CLASS 6-08

I wanted to revive this topic and 99% of the information is valid and should be reviewed. A couple additions:

- There will be a female cadet this rotation. There will be a dedicated bathroom for her so the rest of the recruits will be sharing the others.

- It gets noisy in the barracks with snoring, bodily functions, and general clucking from those who can't sleep. Bring ear plugs and an alarm clock.

- Bring a watch and use it. Know what time the instructors have and match it. Don't be afraid, especially when on a mission, to get a time check.

- Never forget....no matter how much we run you or how hard we are on you....that we are trying to help and that we are concerned with your performance and enjoyment of the course. We are not out to be DIs....but there will definitely be screaming.

And to reiterate....because I like speeches:
One last thing. BATC is not a game. Though you will be running missions....this is a class. A two day long ball busting class. You will be on your feet a lot. We ask a lot of the recruits, but no more than we give and what we have expected from every other recruit class. BATC is serious business. We want you all to have fun....but the integrity of the course comes first. Some of you may falter.....but the BATC Instructors, OPFOR, and volunteers will be there every step of the way to make sure you stay on track.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Re: The ARCHANGEL's Helpful Hints for BATC

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 am

FOR RECRUIT CLASS 5-09

Just a reminder "bump" so recruits read thru the Helpful Hints again. A couple more additions:

- It gets noisy in the barracks with snoring, bodily functions, and general clucking from those who can't sleep. I can't stress this enough, bring ear plugs and an alarm clock!!!

- Bring a watch and use it. Know what time the instructors have and match it. Don't be afraid, especially when on a mission, to get a time check.

- Never forget....no matter how much we run you or how hard we are on you....that we are trying to help and that we are concerned with your performance and enjoyment of the course. We are not out to be DIs....but there will definitely be screaming.

- Early reports call for rain Friday evening into Saturday morning. Who knows how long it will last or how much will fall....but this class goes on unless the weather is severe. That means Saturday morning you will get wet. We have you on the ground doing drills, so have spare clothes or get used to being soggy. Bring rain gear if you have it and make sure your gear will fit over it. "I'm not used to this" is not something the CADRE will be sympathetic to.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Return to “BATC: Basic Airsoft Training Course”