Radios

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Razinger

Radios

Post by Razinger » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 am

Anyone lately get caught using their radios without a license? I hear that there are 14 free FRS channels that can be used legally without getting caught. It might just be better to use a phone for a radio or something like that.

Razinger | The one, The only..

Touchette
MAA Member

Re: Radios

Post by Touchette » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:01 am

You need the HAM license if you're transmitting at more than 0.5 watts (regardless of channel) or transmitting on a channel other than the 14 open FRS channels. That said, I've never seen or heard of an airsofter getting in trouble for using their radios, outside of those parameters or otherwise, during normal airsoft play. Basically, so long as you're not on a police/emergency band and aren't being a dick, you probably won't get in trouble.

Most people first starting off in airsoft will start with lower end radios, such as one of the Motorola Talkabout models, and if they see fit will upgrade over time. For most regular games, you won't have much use for a radio anyway.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:40 am

most airsoft takes place far enough out in the country to not interfere with anything that could get you in trouble. and most police/fire/EMS are on channels that are separate from most UHF/VHF radio or they are on trunked systems so they are immune to most consumer radios. on top of that, most events that I've been to that are in special locations where radio crossover would be a concern (i.e. military installations) had predetermined radio freqs assigned to the teams that were pre-approved for our use.

The only times I've ever heard of someone getting busted for such a thing was some kids that were using the radios they had bought for airsoft to interfere with store radios for large retailers while in a city. they were spouting random stuff over the channel or locking them out by just transmitting constantly. the local FCC office triangulated them and they got hit with a fine.

If you are looking at getting into more active roles at bigger games, possibly even doing something like AMS or Lion Claws, Then I would highly recommend getting a quality programmable UHF radio. The most common ones on the market right now are the Baofeng UV-5R with the extended batteries. they are fairly cheap ($50 range), are good quality and are very easy to work with. You can usually find them pretty easily on ebay. if you go that route, make sure to buy from a seller located in the states and not over-seas as the ones that are in the states usually test the units they have before they send them out to you which could save you a lot of hassle if you would get a junk unit.

If you decide to go with the UV-5R and get it before we have our AirsoftCON in the spring and bring it with you, I usually bring my laptop and programming cables with me to the CON and will program your radio with all the common channels for no charge. it is a valuable thing in the community when, no matter who you are playing with, you can say I'm on channel "xxxx" and everyone can just switch to that channel without trying to figure out what frequency it is and all that noise.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Razinger

Post by Razinger » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:09 pm

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Razinger wrote:http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dua ... B007H4VT7A

No reason for something like that. A regular FRS Motorola radio is just fine. you don't need anything more than that.

What you have linked is a HAM radio and does require a license to operate.

Razinger

Radios

Post by Razinger » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Archer says it should work.

I found this.

FRS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate an FRS radio provide you comply with the rules. You may operate an FRS radio regardless of your age, and for personal or for business use if you are not a representative of a foreign government.

Edit: I've looked at the Motorola ones are they cost more than this Baofeng. I just want one radio and not two.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:16 am

Razinger,

If you operate a radio outside of the 14 FRS channels and/or transmit at more than 0.5 watts, you need an amateur radio operator's license. The radio you linked to operates (or can) at more than half a watt, so you technically need a license to transmit (the transmission wattage might be adjustable on the Baofangs, IDK) regardless of the channel/frequency you're on. Again though, don't be an idiot and interfere with other people and you'll probably be fine.

Bike and I reference the Motorola Talkabouts for their ease of use and packaged cost.

- The Motorolas use AA or AAA batteries, versus the Baofang's single dedicated battery (for which extras will be an additional charge and generally more expensive than normal alkaline batteries, though in the long run it's probably a wash)
- The user interface with the Motorola is also simpler than the Baofang.
- The Motorola can implement the individual security codes for each channel simpler than the Baofang, though in airsoft we generally don't use them.
- The Baofang is higher powered, so you send and receiver better.
- The Baofang has more functionality and can use frequencies outside the 14 FRS channels.
- Accessories for either are easy to find and available for all budget levels.

At the end of the day, you just need to decide if you want ease of use or more functionality.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Razinger

Post by Razinger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Baofeng is cheaper and Motorola you need to buy the pair which costs more. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UE6MI ... A8BE91DMRE

I'd only be using the Baofeng for Airsoft and in worst case scenario a tornado/snow storm. I'll continue to see if the wattage can be adjusted, and it doesn't some like I need a license for the Baofeng if i am only going to use the 14 FRS channels.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:56 am

Razinger wrote:...it doesn't some like I need a license for the Baofeng if i am only going to use the 14 FRS channels.
Technically, you need a license to transmit at more than half a watt, regardless of the channel or frequency. Meaning you'd technically need a HAM license to transmit with the Baofang over one of the FRS channels (since it transmits at more than half a watt), unless the wattage can be lowered to half a watt.

Also remember that the Baofang does not come preloaded with the frequencies for the FRS channels, though it's not hard to find the frequencies online and it's more just tedious than it is difficult to set the channels up.

At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever you want and the Baofang will probably do what you need, but the usefulness of the cheapie Motorolas should not be discredited.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Razinger

Post by Razinger » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm

I'll see if I can find the talkabouts that have 1 pin connectors

Razinger

Radios

Post by Razinger » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:32 pm

I guess I'll just get the Motorola then with 1 pin bowman

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0072LB10 ... 005YXCO_rb