Looking for Red Dot advice/recommendations

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Screwface Romeo

Looking for Red Dot advice/recommendations

Post by Screwface Romeo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Hey folks. So, I'm looking for a good red dot sight for my primary game gun build.

I have a few things I'm looking for in a sight:
  • Good build quality. Something that can stand up to the abuse of an outdoor game
  • Parallax free
  • Long battery life
  • Preferable something that will co-witness a set of Magpul MBUS
Thanks!
Walking the line between Mall Ninja and Retro Grouch with the help of MagPul, Forgotten Weapons, and a lot of Sailor Jerry Naval Rum.

Arsenal
  • WE M1911 Custom
  • KWC SIG-Sauer P226/X-Five
  • WE M&P9
  • WinGun 4in Revolver
  • ICS MP5SD
    JG AUG-A-3
[/size]

Speedy McDemon
Still A Newbie

Re: Looking for Red Dot advice/recommendations

Post by Speedy McDemon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 pm

EOTech. eith a real one or a repro. I would also use a shield thing with them too for safety. and they will work with MBUS sights too.

Screwface Romeo

Post by Screwface Romeo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Speedy McDemon wrote:EOTech. eith a real one or a repro. I would also use a shield thing with them too for safety. and they will work with MBUS sights too.
Much as I like EOTechs, there's no way I'm paying $700 for an airsoft sight. I prefer to spend less than the cost of my gun, not more.

Are there any decent repros?
Walking the line between Mall Ninja and Retro Grouch with the help of MagPul, Forgotten Weapons, and a lot of Sailor Jerry Naval Rum.

Arsenal
  • WE M1911 Custom
  • WE M&P9
  • WinGun 4in Revolver
  • ICS MP5SD
    JG AUG-A-3
[/size]

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 am

Keep in mind that this "is" airsoft and the Airsoft replica's are out there.

With that...take all aspect of American Consumerism and throw it out the window. It does not apply.

So...if you want quality "Airsoft" you will have to pay for it. You are looking at about 60-80 for a decent EOtech replica (which can get their lenses shot out, so get a guard as per SMD) and 100-150 for a GOOD EOTech replica.

Early HurricanE 552 were quite robust, but they sold for 180.00. They also just started making EOT replica's again and they have dropped to the 150.00 price point. Not sure about the durability though.

G&P is the bottom end of the Good EOT replica's at 80-120.00

You can also go ACOG. With that...the lens is thicker which are better at taking hits.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Screwface Romeo

Post by Screwface Romeo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 am

Guges Mk3 wrote:Keep in mind that this "is" airsoft and the Airsoft replica's are out there.

With that...take all aspect of American Consumerism and throw it out the window. It does not apply.

So...if you want quality "Airsoft" you will have to pay for it. You are looking at about 60-80 for a decent EOtech replica (which can get their lenses shot out, so get a guard as per SMD) and 100-150 for a GOOD EOTech replica.

Early HurricanE 552 were quite robust, but they sold for 180.00. They also just started making EOT replica's again and they have dropped to the 150.00 price point. Not sure about the durability though.

G&P is the bottom end of the Good EOT replica's at 80-120.00

You can also go ACOG. With that...the lens is thicker which are better at taking hits.

That's far more acceptable. I'm not against paying for what I want to get, just that if I had $700 to throw away on an optic, I'm probably spending it on real steel guns.

Arsenal
  • WE M1911 Custom
  • WE M&P9
  • WinGun 4in Revolver
  • ICS MP5SD
    JG AUG-A-3
[/size]

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:41 am

I don't think SMD was referencing a real one...
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Find whichever real sight you like the look of, and then buy the replica. As Guges said, there's different quality levels and price points, so once you've chosen the style that you want we can help suggest brands based on the quality level you're looking for and budget you're working with.

I personally have a repro Acog w/ 4x magnification & doctor sight, repro Eotech EXPS2, repro Aimpoint CompM2, and a cheap reflex sight (can't remember the brand). The Acog and Eotech repro's are on the cheaper side, and the Aimpoint is mid-range quality wise. The magnification on the Acog isn't that useful and is more of a hindrance, especially considering that the doctor sight doesn't have enough adjustment to actually get the POA to match up with the POI at range. The combo of the Acog & doctor side also make the sight a little on the tall side. The height is also my complaint with the Eotech, it has a QD lever, versus direct mount, and the added height of the QD mount makes the sight just a bit taller than I prefer. I generally prefer to use my Aimpoint or the reflex sight if I'm going to use a sight, except the battery life on both is sub-par and I've had them drop while in game and it can be rather annoying.

I only run with electronic sights, versus iron sights, maybe 50% of the time, and even then I will still walk the BB's in a good portion of the time.

My next sight purchase will either be a Aimpoint T1 style or a standalone doctor style. I like the compactness and low-profile design of both.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:44 pm

Take a look at Primary Arms.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

They're not extremely pricey and remarkably high quality. I run them on 3 of my airsoft guns and have run them on my real AR15s as well. Highly recommended.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

gottabea1911
Almost A Regular

Post by gottabea1911 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:03 am

I'd recommend a eotech I have a 551 clone similar to what master tcaa sells I really like it.
your gun is as unique as you make it

Return to “Gear Discussion”