Smith Optics LOPRO Regulator Goggle Review

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Archer
MAA Member

Smith Optics LOPRO Regulator Goggle Review

Post by Archer » Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 pm

So I just snagged a pair of Smith Optics new LOPRO Regulator goggles to test out and received my box in the mail today.

These goggles are available in 3 colors and two lens kits.

Colors:
Tan 499
Black
Multicam

Kits:
Mil-Spec Field Kit (Clear and Smoke lenses)
Mil-Spec Deluxe Kit (Clear, Smoke, and yellow lenses)

The box was fairly simple, concise and clearly showed what you've received, with no extra information.

Once you open the box though, it gets much better. The goggles and lenses are shipped inside of a nylon molle pouch designed for the goggles, that appears to be very well constructed and very rugged. The molle straps are fastened by velcro, not buttons, but the rest out the pouch appears to be 500D nylon and the zipper is a YKK brand zipper. The inside of the pouch is lined with microfiber cloth like material and has a small internal pouch.

When you pull the goggles out of the pouch, there are two white cloth pouches for the the extra lenses and then the goggles themselves are inside of a soft multicam sock that come on the goggle band. (I've taken mine off the actual band, since I don't like having it on my helmet)

The goggle frames themselves are rubberized and have a very minimalist approach. they are retained in the frames only by 3 lugs in the middle (one on top and two in the nose piece, and the strap lugs on either side. That being said the lenses are held in very well and are actually somewhat difficult to change out.

Between the lense and the gasket all the way around the goggles is a continuous vent system. this helps increase airflow to a maximum, and also make the frames flexibly to conform to your face. the vents are all covered in a sturdy, yet fine foam. The only concern I have with this setup for airsoft uses is that the vents on the sides behind the goggle strap attachment points is actually large enough that a BB could pass through if the foam was removed. this means that unless you modify and close up those holes, removing the foam to increase airflow even more is out of the question.

The rentention band itself is soft, yet sturdy and snappy. the strap adjustment points are plastic, but are easy to manipulate and lock firmly in place

The Lenses themselves are very clear, and are THICK compared to other lenses I've had from other goggles.

The goggles themselves fit over my helmet and comm headset fairly easy and sit on my face comfortably. they leave a fairly large gap between the top of the lens and the bottom edge of my helmet, which will hopefully allow more airflow to prevent the fogging that usually accompanies a helmet.

Once I get out and use these for a weekend, I will update this review with how they performed during play.

Also, check out my other Review of the Bolle Tactical X1000's (now with DUAL PANE LENSES!!)
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39600
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

J-Muss
MAA Membership Officer

Re: Smith Optics LOPRO Regulator Goggle Review

Post by J-Muss » Tue May 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Is the yellow lense ANSI rated? I know when I looked at the ESS yellow lenses ages ago they for some reason were not rated.

Do you think these have enough space for glasses to fit inside? I use ESS Land Ops as a reference, these look wide enough but the nose gap looks larger than most goggles.
MAA Membership Officer
I was born to be a pessimist... my blood type is "B-Negative"
MAA Member #111
Team BANGARANG!

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm

All the lenses are mil-spec and ANZI rated.

as for glasses... there is no way. these are designed to sit as low to your face as possible.

thaelite1
Still A Newbie

Post by thaelite1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Have you had any issues with fogging so far?

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 pm

I've actually only gotten to wear them once, and that was while playing a static role as a game general, so I haven't really gotten to put them through their paces yet. That being said, even while standing around in the same spot, in what had to be the worst humidity I've ever played in, they weren't unbearable. I did have to go for a short jog every 15-20 minutes, just to get them to clear out, and once it got really hot and steamy I had to switch to another set I have that are better ventilated. I'm sure that if you removed the foam around the outside edge the airflow would be enough to keep them clear.

I will have more once I give these a proper testing.

Rogue Leader
MAA Member

Post by Rogue Leader » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Have you had any ideas on how to keep your eyes safe if you remove the foam? Maybe you could take the type of wire mesh they use on mesh goggles and just cut it to fit then zip-tied it on.
"A day may come when the courage of man fails, but it is not this day!"

Rogue Leader
MAA Member

Post by Rogue Leader » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Also would there be any room for mounting a possible fan kit to help prevent the fogging?
"A day may come when the courage of man fails, but it is not this day!"

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Rogue Leader wrote:Have you had any ideas on how to keep your eyes safe if you remove the foam? Maybe you could take the type of wire mesh they use on mesh goggles and just cut it to fit then zip-tied it on.
There would be zero integrity loss, in regards to bb entry into the goggles, with the removal of the foam, so there would be no need.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Return to “Gear Discussion”