Looking For A New Radio

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Looking For A New Radio

Post by Jonnyboyman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:19 pm

I am in the market for a radio that is compatible with replica PTT systems and that fits in a MBITR pouch. My budget is less than $100. I am new and know close to nothing about radios... So, suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance!

Elvis
MAA Member

Re: Looking For A New Radio

Post by Elvis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 am

That is probably a difficult find. Most of the replica comm headsets, PTTs, etc are built for FRS/GPRS radios (think Motorola Talkabout.) If you're looking for a larger professional radio, they are out there, but I would expect to spend a minimum of $100 for the radio alone. Accessories can also be more difficult to find, especially in the replica arena. That said, you CAN get headsets PTTs for "big boy" radios fairly easy. But, they won't be replica and will be pretty expensive. Much more so than the radio alone.

Motorola Jedi/MTS2000 connectors are few and far between and adapters, at least in my experience, haven't worked. Motorola Saber connectors are a little more common, but still rare. Especially if you're looking for a particular PTT and headset combo.
Elvis
FORT Team
MAA Member #41
BATC Graduate - 03/05

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Post by Jonnyboyman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

I am looking at this radio:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CWPAIB ... 50&sr=8-18
Anyone have any experience with BaoFeng radios?

Also, in my previous post, I meant that I was looking to spend $100 on the radio (or less). I am not looking to buy real PTT's (they are expensive...). Thanks for the feedback and hope that clears things up.

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:17 pm

I have one of those UV-5R's and am looking at getting one. have had it for roughly six months and have had good luck with it so far.

they are a PITA to get programmed. it might take you a little while to get it set up. or if you get it in time for the MAA aircon, I will have my laptop there and could set it up for you.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:29 pm

MBITR are fairly big radios and pretty much everything out there, save for Motorola Sabers & the like, will fit in a MBITR pouch, though some might be a bit loose in the pouch. Since you're looking at repro PTT's and comms gear, I'd suggest picking up a radio that either runs the Motorola 2-Pin connector or the Kenwood 2-Pin connector, accessories and knock-off gear are probably most common in those two connectors.

The radio you linked to is a popular one for your budget and intentions, as are the Puxing's, and a handful of other brands coming out of China & SE Asia. Keep in mind that the radio you linked to may not come with the extended battery like shown in the pic, I'm having some issues viewing that page atm and cannot confirm.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Post by Jonnyboyman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks Archer! Maybe I will pick one up and bring to the Aircon...

@Touchstone, these Baofeng radios use Kenwood 2-pin connectors if I am not mistaken.

Return to “Gear Discussion”