Op lightning strike load out?

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Gary50

Op lightning strike load out?

Post by Gary50 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 pm

I was wondering what people ran as a load out last year. Was it more CQB style gear or more field type setup? Was there ample time to reload mags or did you carry as many as possible on you? I know flashlights are a given, as are spare batteries and red chem lights. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Bunny
MAA Member

Re: Op lightning strike load out?

Post by Bunny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:39 pm

It's absolutely CQB. There are large areas like the main promenades and central courtyard but those tend to become deathtraps. Most of the fighting is going to be in back access hallways, offices, storerooms, loading docks, and department stores. Most of these places are quite cramped, have things you can get caught or snagged on, and are almost all dark. Having streamlined gear is a good idea. I ran an HSGI Warlord chest rig last year and plan to do the same again this year.

I don't recall having a ton of time to reload, but there are breaks. I carried 12 100-round mids with me and never had a problem with running out of ammo.

Red chemlights work for signaling when you're hit and quite a few people used them. Last year all the MAA folks went together on some red electronic light sticks, these are nice because you can tie them off to your gear and then switch them on and off as needed.

I will emphasize the flashlight thing again, even though you mentioned it. There are a lot of very dark places as the mall does not have any power. The only artificial light in the mall is what the players bring into it. The main promenade and courtyard has skylights, the stores right off them get dim, anything beyond that is pitch black. Have a light attached to your weapon, have a light in a pouch you can use to look around with, having a light on a helmet is not a bad idea, have a backup light, and have chemlights you can throw into dark places.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Gary50

Post by Gary50 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Sweet, thanks Bunny.

Terd Ferguson
MAA Member

Post by Terd Ferguson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Flashlight and a red dead light were must-haves last year. After a few hours I dropped my hydro backpack at spawn and just ran with 9 m4 mids. That streamlined things a bunch, and only once did I have nurse those till I could get back to my pack.
Educating the future

MAA #117
Op Lion Claws - Lightning Strike 2013, Northern Lights 2014

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Also, no power means no heat. We had pretty decent weather last year but being prepared for cold is not a bad idea. I froze my ass off laying on a concrete floor for hours at the night game...

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm

to be fair bunny, you don't have much ass to freeze off. but yes, be prepared for cold. layers are a good thing.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:47 pm

The need to reload will depend entirely on how trigger happy you are. Generally speaking, I'm not very trigger happy, so I didn't end up needing to reload hardly at all running ~10 mids.

Gear-wise, you should determine what you think you'll need and wear something that will comfortably accommodate that for an entire day without needing to step off the field. Here's a list of what I brought last year (or thereabouts as I'm going off memory):

On my person:
Cigs/cigar & lighter (can't smoke inside though)
Snacks (jerky, candy bar, etc.)
Small pocket knife
Pistol
Pistol mags
Flashlight
Multi-tool
Extra battery (AEG)
Deadrag

On my rig: Crye JPC
Radio & comms (MTS2000 w/ speaker mic & earpiece)
Water in small hydro on my back
~8 mags
Flashlight
Speedloader
Red "dead" light

Go bag at respawn:
Extra water/gatorade
Extra snacks
Extra mags
Speedloader
Extra BB's
Extra batteries (for gun and other electronics)
Extra radio

There may have been a couple other odds and ends, but that's about the gist of it. As of right now, I plan on running a similar setup this year.

Edit: As pointed out by Archer & Bunny, I'd dress correctly for the weather (including rain or snow as part of the time you will likely be outside) & include layers.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Last year it rained partially through the day, not much but have an option for wet weather gear. I would also recommend knee pads and gloves. What every one else said is true and I would also recommend. However, during the final pushes before known breaks are to occur, I usually go through more mags or grab mags from friends. Before these times happen I would recommend having your reloads available in a small day pack. I would also recommend full face protection or mouth guards as teeth replacements aren't cheap. I would also not wear military boots, I would go with a more comfortable option like hiking boots or similar.
BTDT got the T shirt, sweatpants and disability check.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Fatal wrote:I would also not wear military boots, I would go with a more comfortable option like hiking boots or similar.
Is this because you're on concrete all day?

Also, how is the temperature inside versus outside? I imagine it would lag behind the outside seasonal warmup, plus be a bit cooler in general.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Also remember this:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8879

We stage outside from our cars too. No indoor places to move. So be prepared for that.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Trippy wrote:
Is this because you're on concrete all day?

Also, how is the temperature inside versus outside? I imagine it would lag behind the outside seasonal warmup, plus be a bit cooler in general.
Trippy, I spent about 5 minutes walking in dirt the entire event. There was one respawn the was up a hill and required you to walk up a dirt hill. However, the rest of the day was spent on the mall floor and backroom floors. You should be on concrete or carpet the majority of the day and some of the tiles are covered in dust. It was definitely cooler/cold the entire time inside and outside.
BTDT got the T shirt, sweatpants and disability check.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 am

I don't really recall it being warmer inside or outside the mall. Inside the mall obviously there won't be wind which helps with the temp, but you also have a lot of cold concrete. I think it all comes out a bit of a wash. I got chilly a few times standing around for briefings and such, but once the running and shooting started I rarely noticed the cold. Except for the night game ...

Clark

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Regarding flashlights, I actually recommend carrying at least three:

1) A small "find your way in the dark" light. I have a Pelican VB3 on my vest, it was great for navigating stairwells and corridors while keeping a low profile and not wrecking my low-light vision. Quiklite makes a similar product that's also great.

2) A handheld flashlight. There are tons of these to choose from, I like the ASP Triad but the Surefire G2 and similar are also great. Use when you need more light than the small light will give you.

3) A weapon-mounted light. Obviously useful.

For any lights you might use while shooting (weapon mounted or handheld) I advise against coded switches (for example, push twice for strobe). Under fire you're going to hit that button more than once and the light will be cycling through different modes while you are trying to shoot. For this purpose, I recommend a momentary on/off switch, period.

Blue LEDs are nice for low-profile navigation, as they are a little harder to see.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Erik wrote:Regarding flashlights, I actually recommend carrying at least three:

1) A small "find your way in the dark" light. I have a Pelican VB3 on my vest, it was great for navigating stairwells and corridors while keeping a low profile and not wrecking my low-light vision. Quiklite makes a similar product that's also great.

3) A weapon-mounted light. Obviously useful.
Blue LEDs are nice for low-profile navigation, as they are a little harder to see.
1) look for a pen light of some type, or just small in general.

3) I have a surefire that I bounced between my airsoft guns, has a busted lens from a BB (or me hitting it on something). Just understand that it could happen. and momentary is nice, but also good to know how to switch it to full time as momentary can be a pain for long duration. Keep in mind that if you have it on, you can ruin your night vision by ducking back into cover with it shining against your cover, it'll wash out your eyes.

Red LEDs are good as well as Blue. Army uses Red lenses for night navigation. But, it will "travel further" than blue. Next time you see a police car on the side of the road at night, pay attention to what lights you see first, vs. when you get close. Red travels better at night, some say blue is better during the day.

mhofstad
Fairly Regular

Post by mhofstad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 am

Are minors allowed at lightning strike? Sorry, I know this isn't on topic but this is the most recent post about lightning strike. I'll be 16 at the time of event.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:42 am

mhofstad wrote:Are minors allowed at lightning strike? Sorry, I know this isn't on topic but this is the most recent post about lightning strike. I'll be 16 at the time of event.
No. Several other players under 18 who signed up under another platoon were denied. Lion Claws usually allow minors with certain restrictions. Lightning Strike does not allow minors because of the AO complications.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

mhofstad
Fairly Regular

Post by mhofstad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 am

OK thanks.

Jonesy
MAA Member

Post by Jonesy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Mags.

All the mags.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears and suffering. Fuel me.

Delta Milsim Group
Tippmann Arms™ Sponsored ( but, like, totally not biased and stuff. )
Damage Control Airsoft & Paintball LLC.

Return to “Gear Discussion”