Rigs for bigger guys?

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

thentantt
MAA Member

Rigs for bigger guys?

Post by thentantt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:36 am

So i've been looking online and i hate online shopping because i can't try on the stuff, but what im trying to get to is whats the best plate carrier for larger guys? im a XXL. Otherwise do you guys think its better to just stick with chest rigs instead?
Bah-Bah-Boom!

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: Rigs for bigger guys?

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 am

Molle Skeletal Rig
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 am

I think the skeletal rigs make fat guys look fatter. You can get full vests for big guys but they are harder to find (special order thru Guges) and more expensive. I have a XXL Pantac CIRAS that is perfect for the XXL crowd but I rarely wear it anymore because it is too bulky....and yes, it makes fat guys look fatter. Most of the bigger guys have gone to far simpler front plate carriers like this condor one: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6520

Remember Asian sizing is for little people. Even larges aren't large (watch out if you try to order Condor jackets). Just let us know what general model or look you are going for and we can help you find an option.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Extra straps on a JPC?
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:04 pm

It's more that the actual platforms are too small. The BlackHawk Recon in Husky had an extra 4 sections of pals and even that was nice.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm

As a bigger guy, I have to echo what Gabe said - I really like the chest rig. My preference is for the split-front style (Condor Ronin) for easier on/off.

For full body armor vests, I have a Blackhawk Cutaway and don't like it. The velcro attachments are not well thought out, the cummerbund tends to bunch up and the shoulder mounts fail with some regularity. If I feel the need for another full vest I'll look at the SKD PIG or the Condor plate carrier.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Sdubs

Post by Sdubs » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:31 am

You can estimate the size/circumference of a plate carrier if it has a molle cummerbund by measuring it's circumference in molle channels. They are 1.5 inches wide so 8 horizontal = 12 inches roughly. Compare it to your chest or waist circumference or where the widest point on your body where the PC would go around. However some brands are inconsistent in how they stitch their MOLLE such as Condor.

I was close to an XXL size myself some years ago and the condor MOPC fit fine with a little room to spare.
I believe a chest rig is fine for most (if not all) players for airsoft playing purposes. Scalable storage capacity depending on the rig and less bulk, weight, and heat trapping effects <---for warm weather

thentantt
MAA Member

Post by thentantt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:46 am

THE ARCHANGEL wrote:I think the skeletal rigs make fat guys look fatter. You can get full vests for big guys but they are harder to find (special order thru Guges) and more expensive. I have a XXL Pantac CIRAS that is perfect for the XXL crowd but I rarely wear it anymore because it is too bulky....and yes, it makes fat guys look fatter. Most of the bigger guys have gone to far simpler front plate carriers like this condor one: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6520

Remember Asian sizing is for little people. Even larges aren't large (watch out if you try to order Condor jackets). Just let us know what general model or look you are going for and we can help you find an option.
Yeah i almost got a Skeletal rig and im still thinking on it but i just don't like the looks of it, also the fact that my fat might be hanging off the sides haha. And ill be keeping an eye on the plate carrier you posted, looks like something of intrest for me.
Bah-Bah-Boom!

thentantt
MAA Member

Post by thentantt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:49 am

Erik wrote:As a bigger guy, I have to echo what Gabe said - I really like the chest rig. My preference is for the split-front style (Condor Ronin) for easier on/off.

For full body armor vests, I have a Blackhawk Cutaway and don't like it. The velcro attachments are not well thought out, the cummerbund tends to bunch up and the shoulder mounts fail with some regularity. If I feel the need for another full vest I'll look at the SKD PIG or the Condor plate carrier.
At one point i did consider the Blackhawk one but i couldn't afford it, hopfully with my tax money i might pick up a SKD PIG ive been watching videos on them and i like them so far. i also like condor just because i can afford it haha
Bah-Bah-Boom!

thentantt
MAA Member

Post by thentantt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:52 am

Sdubs wrote:You can estimate the size/circumference of a plate carrier if it has a molle cummerbund by measuring it's circumference in molle channels. They are 1.5 inches wide so 8 horizontal = 12 inches roughly. Compare it to your chest or waist circumference or where the widest point on your body where the PC would go around. However some brands are inconsistent in how they stitch their MOLLE such as Condor.

I was close to an XXL size myself some years ago and the condor MOPC fit fine with a little room to spare.
I believe a chest rig is fine for most (if not all) players for airsoft playing purposes. Scalable storage capacity depending on the rig and less bulk, weight, and heat trapping effects <---for warm weather
im looking at getting the MOPC still it just looked kind of small and i have yet to try one on so it made me kind of skeptical. But being what you said maybe ill look into them.
Bah-Bah-Boom!

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am

Being a former big guy I know how hard it is to find good gear that does not make a big guy look even bigger. When I was big about the only manufacturer I could wear was blackhawk. Their Cutaway vests were my go to rigs. Never had an issue with the quick ditch failing or any other issues. At my heaviest I was 315lbs. My XL rig was still big on me.

Now that I am smaller. I wear a couple of different rigs. I wear the condor qpc for CQB style games.. I have the condor MOPC for most of my outdoor games, and finally I run a Condor load bearing rig for outdoor games where I know I will be doing a ton a crawling around.

Good luck finding the rig that suits your play style. Take into consideration what we all wear and again, but what you want for your style of play.

BTW, I have a blackhawk strike LBE that I am looking to sell. It is too big for me. $75 and it is yours :-)

If
TEAM LEADER - Blacksheep Airsoft(MN)
MAA Member Number: 5
OPERATION LION CLAWS SUPPORTER
OP: Northern Light CO
OP: The Ohio Project CO

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 pm

SMITTY Just bought a FLYYE Vest in XL and it came with pouches and rig for about $160. I have seen them for about $125 recently. That is an awesome rig as well.
TEAM LEADER - Blacksheep Airsoft(MN)
MAA Member Number: 5
OPERATION LION CLAWS SUPPORTER
OP: Northern Light CO
OP: The Ohio Project CO

Bizzare87

Post by Bizzare87 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:08 pm

I really like my simple chest rig
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-MCR6.aspx
CC Operators
Twin Cities Airsoft