Thermal Goggles

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Animal
Somewhat Regular

Thermal Goggles

Post by Animal » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:18 pm

I was wondering about thermal goggles and fogging. Forgive me if I am repeating another thread; I looked around the board, but couldn't find an definite answer.

Anyway, will thermal goggles EVER fog? I mean: rain, snow, heat, etc.? I want goggles that won't fog A) when it is humid outside, and B) when I get hot under my goggles.
Will thermal goggles help me?

Thanks.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: Thermal Goggles

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:21 pm

It will fog if it has direct contact with a "lot" of moisture.

Example Sweat from your brow dripping on to the top of the goggle - Solution - wear a head band and the thermals will not fog up.

Otherwise...they are the best thing for preventing moisture.

I wore a pair up at Ripley. 40 degrees out...ran around all day and no fog what so ever.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Animal
Somewhat Regular

Post by Animal » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Awesome. Thanks.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:19 am

Nothing is 100% effective, I've fogged my thermal lenses, but it takes a huge amount of humidity to fog them. Usually by the time I have fogging problems I can literally see the humidity in the air around me.

Getting a ventilation fan on your goggles is another option, such as the ESS Turbofan goggles. Thermal lenses + fan is pretty much the absolute best thing you can do to prevent fogging, but most people find it unnecessary.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Return to “Gear Discussion”