Backpacks???

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Cjoldie

Backpacks???

Post by Cjoldie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Hey everyone!
I just was wondering everyone's thoughts on running a back pack as part of their loadout. I don't mean as in wearing to a milsim op, do any of you guys wear them for a normal open play?

The reason I ask this was today as I was parusing a thrift store looking for some parts for a project of my brothers, I stumbled upon an Eagle Industries A-III MOLLE Assault pack, which I grabbed instantly to check the price tag. 2 Dollars!!!! I bought this instantly, as almost anyone knowing what they were would. It was in almost mint condition, no visible use marks.

So, as I was stating, should I add this to my loadout to carry things such as bb's and hydration? Or only use it for large operations and stick with solely my Chest Rig?

Thanks all!

Magkill
A Regular

Re: Backpacks???

Post by Magkill » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Stick with your chest rig, I have a sand piper of califorina back pack and I just can't carry both it's just too cumbersome. Milsim is more about wearing a PC or a chest rig but weight is a factor that makes wearing something heavy like a back pack and a chest rig that is light not make sense for milsim. Open play on the other hand it's simply what works for you if you can I would take straps and make the back pack as small as possible so you won't get out because part of your back pack was sticking out.
Code name: magkill

Team: Task Force Pallaton

Weapon of choice g&g gr-25

wolfgrey
Still A Newbie

Post by wolfgrey » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 pm

nice find! If its a longer game and you need to carry extra stuff ill use a pack. if not its a good way to transport gear to games.

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Post by Jonnyboyman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Well, I run a MAP on my PC for hydration and some BB's and whatnot whenever I have my PC at open plays. But as far as a full fledged backpack goes... It is not necessary for open plays.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Everyone needs to remember that the only time you actually need a particular piece of gear is if the rules say you do. The right person can be just as effective in jeans and a t-shirt as someone decked out in a bunch of fancy gear, the guy with the gear just looks better doing it.

There's generally not real need to bring a pack onto the field for the shorter games generally played at open sessions, but there's also nothing stopping you from doing so. Bringing out a pack with extra mags, ammo, etc., could potentially help to decrease your down time between games, or give you additional equipment to use if something breaks down mid-game (as a faster alternative to going back to staging to switch out equipment).

I prefer milsim style events that generally keep the players on the field longer, so for an all day event I will generally bring a pack with extra pre-loaded mags, ammo, gas, food/snacks, extra water/beverages, backup gun/mags, etc. For games that I'll only be away from staging for an hour or less, I can generally get everything I think I'll need to cover me for that hour on my person without the need for a pack.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey...you can even be combat effective in a red shirt, pink boxers and flip flops.

Guy next to him has athletic running shoes...

I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

elonaman
Exceedingly Regular

Post by elonaman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 am

Personally I wouldn't bring a large back pack on the field for a open play. Now for a op I bring my Eagle industries mmp. It has ample room for anything I might need for a full day. I usually drop it off at the respawn point so I don't have to carry it around the field with me. For open sessions the biggest pack I would bring would be a map attached to my pc which is more than enough to carry a hydro, bbs, and a spare speed loader or two.
E loan ah man= Elonaman
Insert witty comment here ( )

Sdubs

Post by Sdubs » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 am

A pack over a chest rig is a classic method of carrying gear.

It's fine as long as you keep it light aka don't fill the pack for the sake of filling it to capacity. While it'll end up heavier than if you just went with a smaller pack it's not a biggie. It's the same idea as running a chest rig or vest with sewn in pouches: you don't have to fill every pocket. You'll have a lot of empty space so resist the urge to fill it with stuff you don't use!

Ozzy
Exceedingly Regular

Post by Ozzy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:02 pm

so.... what backpack is a good backpack on market right now? I need something with molle urrrthang, the more the better.
"you don't want beef with people like me, so don't pretend/ I'll resurrect yo aborted baby and kill it again!/you get no props in hip hop/ like feminine men!"

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Post by Jonnyboyman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Emdom hydration, Tyr Tactical Hydration, and MAP are some to choose from.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Ozzy, what do you want to use the pack for? There are tons of good brands to choose from, but some are probably better than others depending on the type of pack you're looking for.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Ozzy
Exceedingly Regular

Post by Ozzy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:08 pm

^ for:

general outdoors/camping - primarily carrying medical supplies, about half of a full stomp bag. Molle on outside so i can mount other stuff. I was leaning towards something like this:

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/129mediumm ... pack2.aspx

I don't know Condor quality and I have to build 4 of these.
"you don't want beef with people like me, so don't pretend/ I'll resurrect yo aborted baby and kill it again!/you get no props in hip hop/ like feminine men!"

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Condor quality is OK, it's sorta like the JG of gear manufacturers.

Take a look at 5.11's RUSH series of packs, or for medical use the All Hazards pack is great but a more pricey. I've been very happy with the build quality of 5.11 packs for the price.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Ozzy
Exceedingly Regular

Post by Ozzy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:19 pm

mmmm 5.11 stuff is just too expensive. I'd love to, my wallet doesn't.

Magkill
A Regular

Post by Magkill » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:36 pm

I have a suggestion but idk if every one will like it. I have a sand piper of California 3day bug out bag and I use it for every thing computer transportation, school, and airsoft. It has some Molle but idk if it's enough for what you want. http://shop.sandpiperca.com/index.php/gear-packs.html

What do you guys think?
Code name: magkill

Team: Task Force Pallaton

Weapon of choice g&g gr-25

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

If 5.11 is too expensive, then that will cut out a lot of other manufacturers of similar or greater quality. You might get lucky with some Christmas sales, otherwise you're best bets are going to be the likes of Condor or other lower tier manufacturers.

At the end of the day, Condor and the like will probably be good enough to do what you want to do. You might get some extra features with the more expensive packs, but for basic stuff the lower tier manufacturers should work.

I would picks Gabe's brain on packs and how to pack them with the stuff you're thinking of to maybe get a better idea of what will and won't work.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 pm

5.11 is on the lower end of the price scale for high quality gear, so if that's out then your options get limited.

Check out LA Police Gear. They're offering discounts on 5.11 gear right now which might make some of their packs affordable to you. The LAPG-branded packs are also really cheap. I have one of these and it's not bad, the zippers suck and there's very little internal compartmentalization, but for the price it's a solid pack.

Otherwise Condor will likely be your best bet.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Ozzy
Exceedingly Regular

Post by Ozzy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm

word up. because they will store mostly medical stuff and will only be taken/used for long outdoor journeys, i didn't see the point in dumping $200+ on a bag. I got a whole lot of cool medical supplies and the most i've ever had to use are bandaids & gauze (and an ice pack once). I don't see myself or anyone else really touching these med bags. I got all the stuff, just not the bag/backpack to put in all in.

IsparkTheLa
MAA Member

Post by IsparkTheLa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 pm

I don't know much about gear, but figured I would share another cheap option. I bought this pack when I picked my deer license at Walmart last year. They had one in Coyote which caught my eye, so I decided to give it a try. One year later, it has served its purpose of carrying my BB's & mags to and from the field. The stitching and zippers have all held together just fine under normal use.
Today's problems cannot be solved if we still think the way we thought when we created them.

Return to “Gear Discussion”