Different Pouches

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Animal
Somewhat Regular

Different Pouches

Post by Animal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I am looking at getting one of two pouches.

One is a dump pouch: http://www.amazon.com/Condor-MA22-Fold- ... dump+pouch

The other is a drop-leg pouch: http://www.airsoftstation.com/condor-dr ... o-QovbnbIV

I was wondering what everyone recommends. I think the dump pouch would allow for freer movement, but I am worried that it will slap against my leg while running.
I think the drop-leg pouch would eliminate the slapping problem, but with the strap, might restrict my running. Also, I think the drop-leg might get in the way while crawling.

What does everyone think?

Thanks.

Magkill
A Regular

Re: Different Pouches

Post by Magkill » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Drop leg pouches in my opinion are either too tight or too lose and move around the leg. If you have Molle then a dump pouch would be best as long as it's be hind you or not able to hit you. If you put it above your hip you'll be fine.
Code name: magkill

Team: Task Force Pallaton

Weapon of choice g&g gr-25

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Post by Jonnyboyman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:20 pm

I run my dump pouch on my instructor belt (at my hip) and it is fine and efficient...

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 pm

I run a maxpedition rolypoly on my battle belt.

I am currently in a unit that we train for CBRN threats, so my left leg is now out as a platform area.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I have a dump pouch I will occasionally wear on my belt, somewhere in the vicinity of my left hip and left cheek. I also have a battle belt with a drop leg pouch on it that I treat as a zip-able drop pouch. That said, what I wear and how I use it changes depending on the tasks at hand. I generally only wear the battle belt when I need the extra mags I can fit into the drop leg or if I'm carrying a lot of extra stuff onto the field that I can't fit onto my rig. I will usually only wear the DP if I know I'm gonna be dumping through a lot of mags very quickly and don't need to move around a whole lot (even then I still usually put the mags back into the pouch it came from).

I've found that I generally don't have a need for a DP or my additional drop-leg pouch on normal excursions. The most I usually have on my belt is my pistol. I also dislike having the DP or drop-leg bouncing around when I run or the stuff inside creating extra racquet, while these are small pet-peeves, they're still enough to normally outweigh the benefits of using one or the other.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Both are good options, I have and use both drop-leg dump pouches and MOLLE dump pouches. Recently, I have been preferring a vest mounted MOLLE option.

If you're going to go with a drop-leg option, I do recommend going with a high-quality one. Cheaper drop-leg pouches tend to move around your leg a lot and don't stay put - which can be really annoying. Blackhawk and Eagle both make great drop-leg rigs, I've used and enjoyed both but prefer the Blackhawk version.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Animal
Somewhat Regular

Post by Animal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I will take them into consideration.

See y'all on the battlefield.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:40 pm

For reference, I use a HSGI drop-leg, backside of the straps have rubber ridges to help avoid movement.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Return to “Gear Discussion”