Plate carriers

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

LT.Dan

Plate carriers

Post by LT.Dan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm in the market for a plate carrier, I need suggestions on what to get and what others are using, I'm looking for something relatively lightweight and NOTHING by condor. Money is not an object here just a simple "I use thus and I like it" or "I tried this but it wasn't ideal" thanks guys. Dan

Magkill
A Regular

Re: Plate carriers

Post by Magkill » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:24 pm

It really just depends on your type of game play I know you said light weight so chest rig could be the thing for you. Also pantac made out of cordura fabrics,it is one of the best gear brands try to see if any of their products fit your needs. Another company is flyye their gear is like pantac but made out of condora fabrics.
Code name: magkill

Team: Task Force Pallaton

Weapon of choice g&g gr-25

LT.Dan

Post by LT.Dan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 pm

I have thought of a chest rig but I'm going more milsim and I'm thinking of using real AR500 plates in it to build up endurance so thanks for the suggestions :)

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 am

I have a Diamondback Tactical plate carrier from when they actually did that kind of stuff. I love it. It's been a very good plate carrier to me.

I guess they make them now: https://www.diamondbacktactical.com/pro ... -carriers/ It's the FAPC2,with cumberbund and ballistic armor (frag specific) and SAPI or ESAPI plates depending on what the Army has issued me.

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 am

I've run too many carriers to remember and am currently running a Crye AVS. If you are going for some sort of an impression, you might want to post up what you are trying to go for and then pinpoint that carrier. It would also help to know how big you are.
BTDT got the T shirt, sweatpants and disability check.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 am

I'm 6' & ~150lbs (I'm a skinny bastard), and I run a small Crye JPC with small plates. I like it because it's simple, pretty low-profile for a PC, light weight, and fairly adjustable. There are other rigs that would probably work just as well, but since this one worked for my intended purpose I haven't seen the need to try others out.

In all reality, there are a crap-ton of options for plate carriers, many with unique features that may or may not be important to you. If you're looking for gear from the upper tier manufacturers, I would suggest looking at real-steel sites and see what people who shoot RS use. As Fatal pointed out, you can also take inspiration from the gear used by the armed forces, and if you're looking to match a particular group or sub-set of the military, then let us know which one and we can help guide you in the right direction.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

LT.Dan

Post by LT.Dan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Well the one I have been lookin at for quite some time is the HSGI Woosatch it seems like the perfect combo of chest rig/PC. I'm also about 5'6" last I checked and 130 LCD so I'm skinny also. The reason I don't go for the built in pouches is that I'm gonna be running an AK and I don't want it to be an awkward fit.

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 pm

So you're not really looking for an actual impression persay. HSGI makes quality products, I owned a Wastach a few years ago. If you're on a budget, Flyye makes a replica of the HSGI line of gear.

LT.Dan

Post by LT.Dan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:46 am

I'm only looking for US made stuff because I not only want this stuff for running around in the woods I plan on using it as a real steel loadout for home defense and such. I do realize this int the forum for real steel but all opions are appreciated. So what were your thoughts on the wasatch? Also, "money is no object" and ergonomics are everything. I need it to be functional not flashy.

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:53 am

Dan, you may want to check out some plate carriers at the next game as being skinny, some may not fit you the way you want. I'm a big dude, so I don't have issues finding stuff to fit me. I know some of the skinnier guys have had issues in the past.

LT.Dan

Post by LT.Dan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 am

I could probably do that. That's actually not a bad idea at all. Thank you.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:27 pm

I run a fair bit of HSGI kit and I really love everything I have from them. It is very well designed and built. Their chest rigs do tend to run a bit on the large size though, I'm a pretty medium build and I have to adjust things down pretty far to get them tight on me.

If you're looking at running an AK, or a broader range of weapons, HSGI's modular mag pouches are fantastic. They'll hold either 3 AR mags or two AK mags a piece.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

b_rik
MAA Member

Post by b_rik » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 am

I run a BDS plate carrier. Works great for me.
MAA Member 61, BATC 04-07.

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 pm

If "money is no option" I wouldn't get an HSGI plate carrier.

I also wouldn't put on any gear in a typical home defense situation.

I would look into things such as weight, what you plan on carrying and if you're putting in real plates, what kind of plates.

b_rik
MAA Member

Post by b_rik » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:54 am

He said; AR500 plates, guy.
MAA Member 61, BATC 04-07.

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 am

8*==D

wolfgrey
Still A Newbie

Post by wolfgrey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:26 am

Hey dan I Have a shellback tactical Banshee rifle plate carrier for sale. It is made in the USA out of 1000D. it also has a kangaroo pouch. As far a weight it would be hard to find a more light weight, compact plate carrier for the money. Also I am on the skinny side as well and the plate carrier fits snug to my body and sits at the perfect hight to protect my major organs (in a real world senerio). PM me if you are interested.

Also fatal, if you are going to any games in the future id love to check out the avs. Do you have the harness on it?

Return to “Gear Discussion”