HELP WITH ALICE RUCK!

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

HELP WITH ALICE RUCK!

Post by CPT. Fox » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 am

hey guys ^^ I recently started setting up a 1983 (invasion of Grenada) impression, and I was wondering. how do you wear the ALICE ruck over your ALICE web gear? all help would be appreciated.

-Fox
Grimes: Why aren't you shooting?
Waddell: We're not being shot at yet.
Grimes: How can you tell?
Waddell: A hiss means it's close. A snap means-
[a bullet whizzes close by]
Waddell: Now they're shooting at us!
-Blackhawk Down

bikemancs
MAA Member

Re: HELP WITH ALICE RUCK!

Post by bikemancs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:50 pm

You put it on...?

The LCE and LBV were designed to fit "under" the rucksack straps when it is worn. As long as you do not add something large to your back, there is no issue. If you have a buttpack you will need to adjust the ruck so the kidney pad sits above the web belt/top of the buttpack if you have it overly stuffed. The only other problem would be the First Aid pouch normally worn on the left shoulder of the LCE, but my rucks always sat "outside" of my LCE.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but we have many veterans here who have dealt with this gear, and if you look, you might even be able to find Erik's (Panama?) pictures where he has his ALICE gear on.

Are you wearing or using a frag vest?

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:56 pm

bikemancs wrote:You put it on...?

The LCE and LBV were designed to fit "under" the rucksack straps when it is worn. As long as you do not add something large to your back, there is no issue. If you have a buttpack you will need to adjust the ruck so the kidney pad sits above the web belt/top of the buttpack if you have it overly stuffed. The only other problem would be the First Aid pouch normally worn on the left shoulder of the LCE, but my rucks always sat "outside" of my LCE.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but we have many veterans here who have dealt with this gear, and if you look, you might even be able to find Erik's (Panama?) pictures where he has his ALICE gear on.

Are you wearing or using a frag vest?
thanks, but ALICE rucks are physically incapable of fitting like you're describing. you can't wear canteens, buttpack, JFAK, or anything other than the ammo pouches...
-Blackhawk Down

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Um, Considering I wore ALICE rucks with LBVs and LBEs, all of which had at least canteens if not buttpacks on, sorry, but you're wrong.

I'm adding some links to images that may help you in visualizing how to setup your gear:

http://shfg.org/shfg/wp-content/uploads ... cover2.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads ... 288980.jpg

You may have better luck, with better pictures and guys who have setup their items as you are looking to here: http://www.vietnam-airsoft.com/phpBB3/index.php

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:38 pm

UMM, the second one isn't even an ALICE ruck, it's an ARVN ruck, so yes, obviously you can wear canteens with that. as for the first one, it doesn't help me to see them from the front...

also, I'm ON the Vietnam forum, and the ALICE ruck is NOT a Vietnam item...
-Blackhawk Down

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Ok, but you're not going to find a forum dedicated to Grenada. My mistake on the ARVN ruck.

I used an ALICE ruck for over 4 years between being an infantryman and before we got fielded the MOLLE rucksacks in S. Korea.

I did not have IBA or IOTV issued until I arrived in Korea, I was issued and used the frag vest prior.

As an infantryman, I used my ALICE ruck, with LBE, with canteens and buttpack, and my LBV with just canteens, with and without the fragmentary vest.

I have found an old picture from training where you can plainly see LBE and ALICE rucks being used. As I said, it's perfectly possible.

I am still not sure what your issue is. The ALICE Ruck and the LBE/LBV were issued at the same time, and were used together as, for the most part, that is what everyone had. Are you a very skinny guy? Are you trying to carry more than 2 ammo pouches? are you including space or a pistol holster?

I am genuinely trying to help, but you seem to be stating (paraphrased) that you "cant wear a MOLLE ruck with an IOTV". But, I did that a few weeks ago... that's how I feel this conversation is going.

Edit: Here's another topic where we covered the same thing... a tad later than what you are going for but should be good info: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=17144&p=179206&hilit=ALICE#p179206
Attachments
IMAG0044.JPG

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:40 pm

The ALICE ruck is worn like any other backpack. You put your LBE on and then you put the ruck on over it.

What Grenada unit were you looking to replicate? Different units there had very different gear and uniforms.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

CPT. Fox
Still A Newbie

Post by CPT. Fox » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm not doing grenada anymore, as it's very cold in MN this time of year (as you know)
-Blackhawk Down

Return to “Gear Discussion”