Is this allowed for games? (airsoft spec gas mask)

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Uncle Acid
A Regular

Is this allowed for games? (airsoft spec gas mask)

Post by Uncle Acid » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:59 pm

I just stumbled upon this face mask made to look like a gas mask that has a fan in the canister. it's made by an airsoft company and it specifically made for airsoft but I don't see anything saying that it's ANSI rated. Has anyone seen this before or have experience with it? I sent the seller something asking if it's ANSI rated so I'm hoping to hear back from them. I think this a cool concept I hope I can use it in a game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emirates-Airsof ... 1e7103e816
Team DOLPH
Uncle Acid the Rainman

Bunny
MAA Member

Re: Is this allowed for games? (airsoft spec gas mask)

Post by Bunny » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Looks like cheap Chinese crap - I wouldn't trust my eyesight to it. I seriously doubt it's rated, the eBay posting is barely in English.

Just looking at the pics, my biggest concern would be how securely the lenses are mounted to the mask. Secondly I would be concerned with the impact durability of the lenses themselves.

Unless someone already has, the only way to know for sure would be to buy one and bring it to a game for testing - but I wouldn't be hopeful.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Rekkon
MAA Member

Post by Rekkon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I have one of these. Before purchase I called Airsoft Atlanta to ask about its impact rating (if any). They said it did not have one, but that they had tested one mask point blank with a 400 FPS weapon and the lenses held. Take that for whatever it is worth. I would not recommend getting one of these as your first/primary eye protection in any event.
MAA Member #92

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Without an ANSI stamp, they would not be acceptable at MAA run events. Specific fields or events may still allow use of the unit at their events, but those businesses and organizers will need to give their approval/denial individually.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Touchette wrote:Without an ANSI stamp, they would not be acceptable at MAA run events.
That's not entirely true, we allow non-ANSI rated eye protection on a case-by-case basis. Also, many paintball masks are not technically ANSI rated, as paintball manufacturers tend to use the ASTM F1776-12 standard, which is specifically applicable to paintball eye protection (as opposed to the ANSI Z87.1 standard which is intended for occupational safety eye protection, like shop glasses).

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Uncle Acid
A Regular

Post by Uncle Acid » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:35 pm

I have plenty of rated eye protection. I'll buy one and we can test it. I'll throw it up on YouTube. I'll buy two, that way we can wreck one and I can use it's fan canister for the spare one and have dual fans. I thought it could be good for those Weeks when it is super humid out.
Team DOLPH
Uncle Acid the Rainman

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Post by SeawolfIV » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Guys, the East Wind community bought one set, and it was determined that the lenses would hold up for a very small amount of time to fire before needing replacement. I'll get you a link tomorrow or something.
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Post by SeawolfIV » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 am

Here's the East Wind forum thread.
Last edited by SeawolfIV on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

Uncle Acid
A Regular

Post by Uncle Acid » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 am

Thank you for the link. It's a shame China doesn't take their safety gear seriously. That would have been a neat thing to have.
Team DOLPH
Uncle Acid the Rainman

Elvis
MAA Member

Post by Elvis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Either way, I wouldn't want to wear a gas mask during an airsoft game. They are hot and uncomfortable.
Elvis
FORT Team
MAA Member #41
BATC Graduate - 03/05

Return to “Gear Discussion”