What Kind of ESS goggles should I get?

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

EMO
Extremely Regular

What Kind of ESS goggles should I get?

Post by EMO » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 am

I was looking at ESS's selection of goggles and I was completely dumb found. I have noticed them to be quiet common on the airsoft field. so what would you recommend.
MINAS Rangers
Add me on Hangouts for PC help!
Radthekid@gmail.com

Viper
MAA Member

Re: What Kind of ESS goggles should I get?

Post by Viper » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:43 am

The LandOps, and Profile NVGs are the most common you'll find on the field.

I've been really happy with my LandOps goggles with thermal lenses, and have been using those for several years. I have a pair of NVGs with non-thermal lenses, and (for me at least) they fogged horribly. I think the problem is they're so small, there just wasn't enough airflow. I'm sure they'd be a lot better with thermal lenses.

There's also the Profile Turbofan which, as you'd guess, has a fan system installed. This is supposed to really help with fogging and cooling, though I've never used them so I can't say for sure. They are quite pricey, though.

What goggle is best for you is going to depend on if you wear glasses, or if you fog easily. If you wear glasses, the NVGs might not work for you, but I think most people are alright with the LandOps. Some people don't have many fogging problems, some have tons. I would recommend thermal lenses, regardless. Comfort will also matter a bit too; depending on your headsize, some goggles might fit/feel a lot better than others.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 am

I don't have fogging issues with or without anti-fog which in all honesty i find wierd...
I was looking at the one with the fan and said no... those don't work I have seen plenty of goggles with fans that don't work.

So now I have 2 choices. I find my head to be quiet universal in size. (Average)
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 am

Double Post sorry
Last edited by EMO on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:12 am

The ESS Turbofan goggles are amazing! They are the only goggle with a fan that has worked for me (and others). Personally, I think they are well worth the price.

But what goggles you get are totally up to you. If you plan on wearing a helmet, I would go with the lower profile NVG's. If you want a bigger goggle, then the Land OPS would be perfect (they are more like a ski goggle size).

The next consideration is price. What do you want to spend? I can get you into a $39 pair of ESS goggles or a $200+ pair of ESS or Oakley. It is all what YOU want.

good luck. Let me know if I can help.
TEAM LEADER - Blacksheep Airsoft(MN)
MAA Member Number: 5
OPERATION LION CLAWS SUPPORTER
OP: Northern Light CO
OP: The Ohio Project CO

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:48 am

Although they are on the slightly more expensive side, if you want a really low profile goggle, I would personally go with the ESS V12 Advancers. They do not often fog, and are quite comfortable. They also have rather easy to switch out lenses, which comes in handy depending on the level of light you are playing in (have UV inserts, and etc).

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101
One of the First Airsofters to have Skydived into an airsoft event

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Sharpshot wrote:They also have rather easy to switch out lenses, which comes in handy depending on the level of light you are playing in (have UV inserts, and etc).
All ESS goggles have lenses that are easily removed and replaced.

I wear Land Ops over glasses, with thermal lenses, and they're great. The only problems I ever have is with my glasses fogging.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Fatal
MAA Member

Post by Fatal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I don't know you, but are you Asian?

If so you might want to keep that in mind and look at their Asian version of goggles tailored for a wider face.
BTDT got the T shirt, sweatpants and disability check.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm

I use ESS Turbofans with Rx inserts and I have a set of Profile NVG's with thermal lenses as a backup. The turbofans work perfectly.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 pm

ESS Turbofan NVGs with Rx insert.

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Fatal wrote:I don't know you, but are you Asian?

If so you might want to keep that in mind and look at their Asian version of goggles tailored for a wider face.
I loled. no I'm an original american :P

But thanks for your advice I appreciate it alot.
MINAS Rangers
Radthekid@gmail.com

Dew Key (Dewk)
MAA Member

Post by Dew Key (Dewk) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:43 pm

I second Sharpshot. V12's are the way to go. Low profile, and are really comfortable.
MAA #95
Member of Team Vendetta
BA BA BLACK SHEEP
Delta Milsim Group Probationary Member
Warrior Level 1
BATC 10/11 Grad

brendizzle
A Regular

Post by brendizzle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:08 am

i personally think it that it all comes down to personal preference. Not 1 goggle is going to fit perfect for everyone, i have found that when it comes to pretty much any sort of gear it is about finding not really what everyone else uses but what works well for you. My advice is if you can try to find somewhere or someone who has these goggles and simply try them on and see how well they fit, if they are comfortable. Not everyone's face is the same so different goggles are going to work well with different people and it is just trial and error until you find out what works well for you.
TEAM VENDETTA
get some!!!

JTgecko97
Still A Newbie

Post by JTgecko97 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

If you guys are worried about fogging, the JT proflex or spectra lenses on paintball masks will not fog due to the double thermal lenses. I know from experience. The bottom also comes off to leave the goggles separate. Just a heads up for some people

(used to play tournament paintball)
KWA CQB M4

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 am

Thermal lenses can and do fog for some people. They certainly help a lot, but it's not a guarantee.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

JTgecko97
Still A Newbie

Post by JTgecko97 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 am

JudgeViper wrote:Thermal lenses can and do fog for some people. They certainly help a lot, but it's not a guarantee.

Well you see JT also makes the entry level masks with the said "thermal lenses" I've also had these too and after a while they will fog, yes. Thermal lenses are kinda like non-stick cooking pans. Once you used the pan enough the non-stick coating comes off. Same thing goes for said goggles. Once the thermal film rubs off they will start to fog more.

Now, the JT spectra or proflex goggles are their more higher end series. These are double lenses with the Thermal film being in between the two lenses to that any chance of rubbing "anti-fog" film off is impossible. I've played paintball for about seven years and I never heard any one say their spectra's were fogging. I also never experienced fogging with them either. They really are great goggles! Trust me I hated when my goggles would fog it was a real frustration especially right in the middle of battle. :evil:
KWA CQB M4

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am

When Viper or other people say "thermal lenses" what they mean is a double-lens. It has nothing to do with any thermal coating wearing off, the barrier of space created between the two lenses makes the transfer of heat from one lens to the other more difficult and prevents condensation. Just like a double-paned window in a house. As Viper said, thermal lenses are not a silver bullet that will completely eliminate fogging for everyone, they help significantly, but in some situations you may still fog.

Thermal coatings are pretty worthless IMO. If you really want to prevent fogging a true thermal lens is the way to go, and coupled with a fan is even better.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Moose
A Regular

Post by Moose » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Personally, when humping and running and gunning I sweat; a lot.
Consequently, for myself, even JT Spectra's with thermal lenses and a coating of anti-fog still fog.

JT also makes a fan for the Spectra goggles to mount on top.
If you are not a sweat hog like me, than perhaps it will not be an issue.
With respect,
moose
Last edited by Moose on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes.

Return to “Gear Discussion”