Gear loadouts: Pics, Details, and Discussion

Tactical Gear Discussion, Advice, & Questions.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Elvis
MAA Member

Gear loadouts: Pics, Details, and Discussion

Post by Elvis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to open a topic for people to share their modular vest / LCG pouch configurations. We have a wide variety of players here that have a wide variety of opinions on what they feel is an effective loadout and configuration for carrying their gear.

So, I see this helping new people and veterans alike. New people will be able to see and read about examples of gear and gear loadouts and learn about the pros and cons before they buy their nylon. Plus, veterans and more experienced folks will be able to see new ideas/approaches that perhaps haven't been thought of.

So, that being said, I see this as a picture intensive thread focused on the details of the gear.

PLEASE, do NOT just post pictures. To make this thread valuable, please post the following along with any pictures:

-List of gear (If possible try to point it out in your picture (similar to what people do in their sales thread)
-any pros and cons that you have for your gear
-what "inspired" your loadout (i.e.: what look are you trying to reproduce, etc.)
Last edited by Elvis on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvis
FORT Team
MAA Member #41
BATC Graduate - 03/05

Elvis
MAA Member

Post by Elvis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:05 pm

I'll get started:

First off the MOLLE vest/platform is one of the OETech/CTD vests in Coyote Tan. You can still find them on Ebay as well. Here is what is on it:

1. BHI single M4 mag pouch in CT (holds 2 mags)
2. BHI triple M4 mag pouch in CT (holds 6 mags)
3. BHI admin pouch in CT (I keep my flashlight in it for now)
4. BHI double pistol mag pouch in CT (holds spare pistol mag, and TM BB loader)
5. Colbalt A/V PTT and throat mic (thanks DT)
6. BHI double frag grenade pouch in CT (i have two deactivated grenades in there - absolutely no use to me, but I needed to fill some real estate)
7. BHI strobe/compass pouch in CT (MS2000 survival strobe, I have not once used this)
8. BHI upright GP pouch in OD (everyone is sold out of CT right now it seems)
9. BHI small radio pouch in CT (holds Motorola MTS 2000 radio)
10. BHI hydration carrier in CT
11. BHI flashbang pouch in CT (holds flashbang gas charger)
12. BHI double M4 mag pouch in CT (holds 4 mags)

Pros/Cons of this loadout:

First the vest. I still think this vest is great but it will eventually be replaced by a BHI releaseable vest due to the following drawbacks:

1. Size - it's not quite big enough. I'm 6'2", 235 lbs. Plus, I drink a lot of beer. So, when I have the vest on, a lot of velcro is exposed which makes it more difficult for me to reach the gear on the sides (which are now closer to my back).

2. Durability - So far its actually pretty good, but it's starting to sag a bit in places (even with the Junshi-style SAPI plates in there).

Next, placement of pouches:

I'd prefer to move the GP pouch off of my back and on to one of the side panels. There is stuff in there that i sometimes want to get at during a game and in it's current position, I have to either A) take the vest off, or B) ask someone to reach in there and get whatever it is for me, neither of which is practical. So, still debating the reconfiguration required.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy where everything is. I do however, wish there were more room for additional pouches on the vest, because I honestly hate wearing drop-leg pouches.
Elvis
FORT Team
MAA Member #41
BATC Graduate - 03/05

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:45 am

ok i guess ill be second in line and give this thread a little bump.

to start it off my vest is the CTD plate carrier vest in OD. This is a very nice vest for the price but i would die to be able to replace it with a Eagle industries or a Phantom CIRAS vest.

1. Some cheap CTD pistol mag pouch off of the leg platform it was not molle compatible so i cut it up and it kinda works...

2. Another pouch from that CTD leg platform. wasnt molle compatible modified it. i use it for my radio and it works ok.

3. Another little CTD pouch. Works good for maps and an ipod... its nice for pens and paper items like maps...

4. Blackhawk m14 mag pouches. these are amazing pouches!! definatley worth the 45 bucks or whatever they cost but i got a deal on mine. they hold 2 g36c mags perfect as well as sig mags. the stiff walls make it really nice and it holds its shape well.

5. CTD tripple ak mag pouch holds 9 ak mags. i use it for double g36 mags and it works nicely. its a good pouch for the price but there are better out there...

6. CTD emt pouch. nice to hold isc. stuff, speed loaders, exra bbs, gloves, pretty much anything.

7. CTD hydration molle pouch. nice for 20 bucks, comes with a usless bladder which is quite hard to drink from.

8. inside the bladder pouch i have a hydrastorm 72 oz bladder. highly reccomended.

Awesome vest for the price but if moneys not an option go with a blackhawk or Eagle industries plate carrier.
my pouch placement is totally for personal preference. overall for airsofting its definatley a nice vest.
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 pm

It looks huge on you. Do you just not have it tightened down all the way, or is that as small as it gets?
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

LTC Lipinski
Extremely Regular

Post by LTC Lipinski » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:54 pm

You can tighten it way more.
BATC Graduate #103
Class 0407
------------------------
BATC Graduate #102
Class 1007

"MiniSquatch"

yuloveme537
A Regular

Post by yuloveme537 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:22 pm

you have to remeber tho, if he puts on other clothes and BDUs it will tighten up
Owner of TM Rifles
...TM G3 SG1...
...KWC 9mm Beretta...
...JG M4 S-system...

"So yeah, thats my coolest airsoft moment... the time I almost blew a Ref's nuts off with a frag grenade." Jin

sig68
MAA Member

Post by sig68 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:09 pm

hey guys i have a question here.

what belt do you use for mounting drop leg pouches and platforms from while using a plate carrier(or vest that don't have the loops to hang a normal pistol belt from)? a duty belt, a riggers belt?

something like one of the first 2 Blackhawk belts?-----------------> http://www.lapolicegear.com/blackhawkbelts.html

thanks
-MARK-
MAA Member Number: 87
Graduate of BATC Class 10-07: Recruit #202
T.O.C. Member

LTC Lipinski
Extremely Regular

Post by LTC Lipinski » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:24 pm

I just use a web belt.
BATC Graduate #103
Class 0407
------------------------
BATC Graduate #102
Class 1007

"MiniSquatch"

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 am

sig68 wrote:hey guys i have a question here.

what belt do you use for mounting drop leg pouches and platforms from while using a plate carrier(or vest that don't have the loops to hang a normal pistol belt from)? a duty belt, a riggers belt?

something like one of the first 2 Blackhawk belts?-----------------> http://www.lapolicegear.com/blackhawkbelts.html

thanks
I use a BHI riggers belt, thats pretty much all I use in uniform. advantage is the velcro on my BHI SERPA rig has something to hold onto when attached to my belt.

*Once I get my gear configured for the loadout I want, I will post pics, but until then, nada.

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 am

Touchette wrote:It looks huge on you. Do you just not have it tightened down all the way, or is that as small as it gets?
actually it fits me almost perfectly. there are internal cumberbunds that you can tighten and it also looks huge because the pouches stick out a fair amount of distance...

i like it but to each his own.
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

uRizen
MAA Member

Post by uRizen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:36 pm

I found the vest on eBay under eHobby Asia for $60 w/ all the pouches and a large drop pouch (which I don't use.) The leg drops came from Evike, I think they were ~$15 ea.

1. Command module pouch holds dead rag.
2. Pouch holds my mini fan or a pistol mag depending on weather.
3. Magazine pouches. They fit G36 mags after a little stretching, I removed the locking nubs from most of my magazines and they slide in out very nicely. High-cap sits in the larger pouch and retains it's nubs.
4. I keep both zippers up and open enough to slide a magazine in. Works as a dump pouch for two mags when in a pinch.
5. Pistol leg drop, also holds a spare magazine.
6. MOLLE leg drop that's used to hold the three magazine module when I don't want to wear the vest.

That's about it, the vest only has one row of MOLLE loops on the back strap which I never use. The vest and components have held up very well.
The only worry I've had is that my mags might fall out of the pouches with the velcro tops removed, but that hasn't been a problem yet. :)
MAA Member #89
BATC Graduate, Class 5-10

sig68
MAA Member

Post by sig68 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:54 pm

bikemancs wrote:
sig68 wrote:hey guys i have a question here.

thanks
I use a BHI riggers belt, thats pretty much all I use in uniform. advantage is the velcro on my BHI SERPA rig has something to hold onto when attached to my belt.

*Once I get my gear configured for the loadout I want, I will post pics, but until then, nada.

so the riggers belt will be the best belt to use when i am using a plate carrier. it will hold up drop leg rigs well? Also how does the belt stay up does it go through the normal belt loops on the BDU?

this belt? http://www.lapolicegear.com/cqbrebe.html

thanks for all the info, i think a good belt could make the difference.......
-MARK-
T.O.C. Member

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Looks really nice.

Where did you get your Phantom pouches?

LTC Lipinski
Extremely Regular

Post by LTC Lipinski » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 am

[quote="uRizen"]Image

DUDE! That's exactly what I want for my next Vest. Flectarn (Spelling?) looks awesome so I am going to Fleet Farm tomorrow and picking some up (Shopping spree liak Omygah! I just got payed today)
BATC Graduate #103
Class 0407
------------------------
BATC Graduate #102
Class 1007

"MiniSquatch"

Bad_Karma88
Still A Newbie

Post by Bad_Karma88 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:30 pm

Miker wrote:Looks really nice.

Where did you get your Phantom pouches?
Thanks!

I got the Phantom pouches from Redwolf a while back.
Aequitas is my reason...

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:57 pm

This is one of my vests for indoors when I'm using my M-4:

The base is a OE Tech / CTD OD plate carrier, not alot of room for pouches but with the sides open it is very breathable and stays rather cool. I have it set up to be quite simple and only carry the necessities:

1. CTD double pistol mag pouch. This is a very interesting pouch design which opens forwards, though once you get used to it it's not really a problem. With it mounted so high though seeing what is in it can sometimes be a problem with full face.

2. CTD 3x3 M-16 mag pouch. Cheap and effective, I can carry 9 mags in here. It is a little big and actually hangs off the edge of the vest a little but works fine. I almost never actually reload from this pouch in game, it just carries backup mags.

3. BDS Stacker 2x2 M-16 mag pouch. This is a wonderful pouch for carrying M-16 mags, and serves as my primary mag pouch for this vest. With the closure flaps removed (they velcro off) reloading from them is extremely fast and easy. When there is a lull in battle I will generally take mags from the CTD pouch and move them into this pouch where I can get at them quickly. I would eventually like to use only Stacker pouches on this vest, but at $45 a piece that may take a while.

4. CTD double grenade pouch. Great small utility pouch, one holds my dead rag and the other my barrel blocker when on the field.

5. BHI 3-liter Hydrostorm. I love it, what else can I say about it?

If I have the time in the next few days I can do some of my other vests as well ...

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Like a lot of the older players, I have a "kitchen sink" rig. Basically a rig that has a lot of crap in it. It's was built to be used for long OPs
where you're supposed to carry everything you'll need on you. I've never weighed it but I'll be honest, it's heavy. Keep in mind when I play I'm usually commanding from a CP or from the front lines, so I don't do a ton of running.

In all honesty the basic design is much like a Ciras, just made up with what I could buy. Now this pieced together rig is worth more than a real ciras.

* I didn't number anything as of now....as I figure people can decipher my post. If people need numbers, I will add them later.

The base of my rig is the BlackHawk STRIKE Recon Chest Harness in OD. It's also the "husky" version which means it has 2 exra rows of pals on the top and 4 on the bottom (2 on each side).

If you look closely you'll see I have a Wolf Hook setup on my right strap....but I have been using a sling more recently.

Instead of the back plate carrier I opted to fabricate my own back rig making use of the BlackHawk Hydration carrier. I got mine well before other places were making there's but it's no different than the MilSpec ones you can get from CTD.

I usually have a 100 Oz. OD tube shielded Camelback hydration unit in the back carrier, the tube snaked thru the left strap guides.

The bib panel of my rig has a sanitized Maxpedition H2 and a BlackHawk dual pistol mag pouch. In the H2 I carry an OD Surefire G2, some Fog Tech wipes, bug repellent wipes, a lighter, and several fingertip LED lights. When I smoked, this was the perfect pouch for a pack of smokes.... My sidearm of choice is usually my TM HiCapa so the BHI pistol mag pouch is too small for the mags. I usually carry 2 TM pistol mag size speed loaders.

The front of my rig is all for mags. On the inside I have two double M4 mag pouches made by Milspec (CTD). I removed the goofy shock cord holders as the pouches are tight enough. On top of those I have two quad mag BlackHawk STRIKE M4 pouches. On these I have removed the flaps so I can access the mags faster. That's right, I don't have flaps on any of my primary mag pouches. I have been using this rig for 4-5 years and have never lost a mag or had one fly out when I didn't want it to.

Total primary mag loadout on rig: 12

The base of the right side of my rig is an EMDOM Small Utili Shingle (attached to the STRIKE rig) connected to an EMDOM Large Utili Shingle (by a MALICE clip, free floating).

The small shingle usually carries my snacks; granola bars, fruit roll ups, slim jims, etc.

The large shingle makes up my side panel. Inside it, I carry plastic bags of multiple sizes (including a trash bag), and several glow sticks (one in a carrier). The contents of this pouch don't get a ton of use but I have had need for them enough times that they have become standard. The plastic bags come in handy when gear breaks and people want something to put it in, when I need to keep items dry, or just to carry items that would otherwise get tossed around.

On top of the small shingle I have a Tactical Tailor Utility Pouch. Inside it I carry various utility items and tools: red strobe for night games, laser pointer, lighter, mini mag light, OD and Black duct tape, mini zip ties, and small screw driver.

On top of the large shingle I have a BHI single mag pouch with flap, which I carry my spare Redi-Mag battery in (my Primary M4 has a Redi-Mag wired for power). The reason I have the flap on this pouch is so my battery stays relatively out of the elements. I also have a Tactical Tailor FRS radio pouch attached for when I carry multiple comms (usually I carry two radios, my Saber and a Talkabout 250 Plus).

The base of the left side of my rig is exactly the same (I like uniformity). EMDOM small shingle on the rig attached by a Malice clip to an EMDOM large shingle.

In the small shingle I carry at least 2 dead rags. One for me, and one for....whatever. Sometimes a fellow player will lose there's, sometimes you need the rag to mark something, and sometimes you just need a rag to wipe something off with. In the large shingle right now I have an excess of large zip ties. I still carry zip ties weaved thru my pals webbing, but sometimes it's just easier to throw a wad of zip ties to a team mate.

Right now on the small left shingle I have a Milspec dual frag grenade pouch. In it I carry two PFI grenades....which I have yet to use. Below that, still on the STRIKE rig, I have a Maxpedition Single Sheath (elastic on the sides) which I carry either my Gerber Multi tool or my Leatherman Wave.

On the large shingle I have; a Maxpedition large Roly Poly Pouch that I use as a drop pouch, followed by a BHI Flashbang Pouch in OD (harder to find) which I carry either my Thumper TG6 or my GB-Tech TD Distraction Device ( Gas Charger ), and finally I have a Tactical Tailor large radio pouch I use to carry my Saber.

I have the pouches staggered so I can jam things in the webbing, right now you can see what looks like a shotgun shell. This is in fact one of those butane jet lighters in the shape of a shotgun shell. I usually have 4-5 lighters and flashlights on me at any one time. Two is one, one is none mantra.... I've also been known to carry those mini pry bars weaved in the webbing as well.

This is a pic of the basic supplies I carry. I didn't pull everything out, but you get the idea. I also usually carry TP on my person (in the hydration pouch) just in case....

This is a pic of my first line gear. A BlackHawk Padded Patrol belt with a HSGI Suspenders.

On my right side I carry a Gaurder Tornado drop leg holster.

On my left, I have a small panel Milspec drop leg platform, with a BlackHawk quad M4 mag pouch and a Tactical Tailor strobe pouch. My drop leg M4 pouch is usually where I carry my high cap mags if I do carry them.

My rig is constantly in a state of flux. There's always new pouches coming out as well as new toys and gizmo's which I like to have a pouch for. I don't fill up all the storage areas I have but they definitely get used.

For indoor I've actually gone back to a BHI Omega Vest as it's easier to manage and carry and it still carries whatever I need for the day.

I am still considering picking up a Ciras Maritime however as I really like the pull cord option.

PRO's of my rig:
  • I've got just about everything I need on there.
    It's arranged well for my tastes and most of my teammates know it as well, so they can grab things as needed.
    It's stable and the pouches are top notch for Airsoft. I have also considered using this for my real steel training.
CON's of my rig:
  • Heavy
    Cumbersome
    Expensive
I am and continue to be a fan of BlackHawk goods. A lot of people rag on them for having overseas manufacturing (75% is back in the states as of a couple years ago), being unoriginal (I don't really care), and having shoddy workmanship (I've never destroyed any of my gear). They can be pricey but this is real world gear, not repros.

EMDOM pouches are fantastic, some of my favorites....but the company has odd policies. Their supplies are limited and they sell out fast, followed by long droughts where they have nothing. The guys there are real nice and accommodating but I hate waiting.

Maxpedition makes good pouches but I disagree with some of their business decisions. But in the end if what I need is good solid gear, I will still by Maxpud. They have many original designs (and copied as they have several EMDOM knock offs coming out) and there quality is excellent.

Milspec Plus is the brand sold by Cheaper Than Dirt (CTD) and for most Airsoft purposes it is great. It?s cheap, the quality is decent, and the designs are copies of well established products. I have no issue buying MilSpec and always look for what new thing they have. They have many of the Maxpedition products copied now and they are good alternatives. They also just have some nice modular pouches that no one else does and for the price, how can you not buy stuff from them?

Questions? Comments? Go ahead....
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:59 pm

Coming from an "older school" my gear is a little bit more spartan in comparison to some other players. I came up in the "Lightfighter" school of combat arms, and my gear reflects this. I like an LBE-type setup with only critical equipment. Non-critical items I usually stage in a 3-day pack somewhere nearby.

1. Blackhawk load-bearing suspenders. These were originally "desert tan" color, which was a little too light to match the multicam. I had originally intended to paint them with a multicam pattern, but that proved problematic. I settled on painting them a darker coyote color, which worked very well.

2. Grimlock, for routing my hydration tube. These things are nice for drink tubes, commo, retaining small items - but don't use them for anything heavy duty (like a rifle sling). They can't take the weight.

3. Tactical Tailor hydration carrier, multicam. While I am okay with mixing multicam and coyote gear, it was important to me that this item be multicam, 'cause it is so large.

4. Blackhawk STRIKE belt, coyote. I tried belts from Tactical Tailor and Blackwater before settling on the Blackhawk - reason being it was the only one which worked well on my 42" waist. The issue was not the size of the belt, but the amount of MOLLE webbing.

5. Tactical Tailor M16 triple mag pouch, multicam (4 total) Because I use the Thermold hicaps, I needed a triple pouch to carry 2 mags. This rig allows me to carry 8 Thermold hicaps or 12 standard/midcaps/traditional hicaps.

6. Multicam triple M1911 mag pouch - eBay purchase. I like this pouch, but I feel I paid too much of it and had a lot of problems getting it shipped. I didn't get the item until I had opened a dispute against the seller on eBay. Out of 100s of eBay transactions it's the only one I have had a problem with. So it goes.

7. Maxpedition Mega RolyPoly. Actually larger than I would like. I use it as a dump pouch.

8. CTD holster - for temporary use with my Sig, while my M1911a1 undergoes repairs. One nice thing about this holster is it fits almost any pistol (with the exception of monsters like the Desert Eagle and HK Mk23). When I get the M1911a1 back I'm going to use a BHI Serpa. Note the GI issue lanyard.

Not pictured - a radio pouch, which I still need to get; a way for me to carry my M203 rounds.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:30 pm

I would just like to say, this thread has been very helpful, and has been an great reference for me as I begin drastic re-configuration of my loadout. Thanks everyone who took the time to post up their rig.

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:39 pm

Erik I LOVE your setup, I would love to make something like that. Also those CTD holsters are awesome. I just got one and it will even hold my Mac11 and they are VERY secure, if you want a 15$ holster that is the only way to go.

captainOawesome

Post by captainOawesome » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Where could I get one of those kitchen sink rigs?

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:59 pm

captainOawesome wrote:Where could I get one of those kitchen sink rigs?
Like ArchAngel said, it is pieced together. Very expensive.

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:10 pm

i actually have one for sale!!
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

fadedcorona
Extraordinarily Regular

Post by fadedcorona » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 pm

man this is really helpful and gives me ideas for a new set up. I am in school now but when I get my tax return in time for summer I might invest in a good rig.
"Its just like it is with the stars, there are bright ones and there are those that are dim."

"Stand Still! How can I shoot you if you keep moving!"

"My eyes! The goggles do nothing!"

Jonesy
MAA Member

Post by Jonesy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:34 am

Here is my current, and to date lightest load out.

The base is a Blackhawk Strike Commando Plate Carrier with a BHI Strike Backplate carrier & hydration carrier.

The plate carrier itself has internal mag pouches and will hold up to eight M4 Stanag mags. I added three G.I. double magazine pouches, and two tactical tailor 7.62/.308 pouches. These hold two M14/G3/FAL etc. mags, or three M16/M4 mags.

A BHI Admin Pouch to hold small odds and ends, usually used for my phone. And a MaxPedition medium dump pouch that I rarely use. There is also a small pouch for my multi-tool on the far left of the carrier, but it's hard to spot in the picture.

And of course, the good luck HK patch.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears and suffering. Fuel me.

Delta Milsim Group
Tippmann Arms™ Sponsored ( but, like, totally not biased and stuff. )
Damage Control Airsoft & Paintball LLC.

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:31 am

Congratulations Jonesy!
You win at the title of, "The Airsofter Most Secure With His Masculinity Of 2007"! :D

But in all seriousness, nice loadouts guys! This thread has been very informative and has done a lot to almost make me think about trying to find a used CA M15 or Echo1 M4 and start up a modern US military loadout for the times when I don't feel like being an AK weilding revolutionary or a dirka dirka jihad sandy type.

But then again, I am tryna save up for that RPG-7 when it comes out so the M4 will just have to wait for now :(

But yeah, great thread guys! Very informative and highly tempting.
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

captainOawesome

Post by captainOawesome » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Now, I've never had any tactical gear of any kind. Could someone explain how this stuff works and if theres any sort of slippage, stuff sliding around, sagging et cetera. Cause after 2 years airsofting and no rig, I'm thinking I'm about due. :)

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Rigs are really a personal thing. What works for one person will be terrible for another. Body type and play style are big factors....

Most "modern" rigs are plate carries with MOLLE or PALS webbing. These are essentially channels in which modular pouches can be attached. It allows for heavy customization to ones tastes and needs.

The number one thing to remember when you are looking at and buying a rig, is get what you are comfortable with. If you don't know, go with what you like....knowing it may not be for you in the end. Come to games, many people will let you look at their rigs and I'm sure some will even let you try them on.

My rig, retail, new, is worth over a grand with all the pouches and gear not including Airsoft stuff. I'd say the average name brand rig (BHI, Eagle, TT, etc) new will cost you around $300-$500. It can get expensive. That said places like CTD offer great priced replica rip offs for a fraction of the cost....and many Airsoft run those (even those who have expensive rigs) as they are just so damned cost effective.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Cappy...

as long you are willing to invest and you get stuff that fits right, youw ill not have slippage, your loadout depends on your body type, smaller guys tend to have problems with some of the bigger rigs (like a CIRAS) but don't have problems with something smaller, like a BHI recon harness...

not too much snagging, going through a cornfield yesterday, I was snagging a bit, but it was mostly on my surefire light and my dropleg holster.

EDIT: Archangel beat me to it.

axraupp
MAA Member

Post by axraupp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:00 pm

I got this OE Tech Crossdraw vest from airsoftgi. It's worked great for me for the Warehouse and SFP, but it has it's limitations for long term ops. It is not very flexible, and if I were to start over, I'd get something that is completely MOLLE and fit pouches.

It's pretty hot as it doesn't breathe well, being some kind of vinyl, even though it has a certain amount of gaps. I think just holding my ACUs so tight also creates heat.

1. Snap I installed for my M4. I'm not into slings, and the d-ring on the vest holds nice so far.
2. This pocket is great for holding the barrel blocker.
3. I carry a small bottle of water and a small speed loader. If I carry the pistol, I will have the second mag here.
4. These three single mag pouches are sewn onto the vest. Since they have an elastic band of some kind, I can jury-rig ...
5. I got these double-mag pouches from a guy on ebay. They are for real steel mags, so airsoft mags fit great. I have two on this side, as I cannot reach the third with my left hand.
6. Two more of the double-mag pouches. Notice that they are at an angle. The holster side has MOLLE webbing, but it's at an angle.
7. Drop pouch-I learned that this is a must after I stopped using hicaps.

I don't use the small pouch on your top right, but it's a good size for a radio. I also don't use the backside MOLLE webbing, but it would be good for a hydration holder. If I decide to buy one, that's where it will go.

-Alex
TK490[/img]

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:55 pm

THIS IS HOW I ROLL!

Just Kidding...well sort of....

Here is what my current rig consists of:

(1) BlackHawk STRIKE Cut-away vest
(1) Cheaper than Dirt Medical Pouch (Upper Left Chest)
(1) BlackHawk STRIKE FLashbang Pouch (Upper Center Chest)
(2) BlackHawk STRIKE Triple M4 Magazine Pouches 12 mags (Lower Front)
(1) BlackHawk STRIKE Large Utility Pouch (Left Side)
(1) BlackHawk STRIKE SAW Pouch (Left Rear)
(1) BlackHawk STRIKE Radio Pouch (Upper Left Rear)
(1) BlackHawk STRIKE Short/Wide Hydration Carrier (Center Rear)
(1) BlackHawk STRIKE SAW Pouch (Right Rear)
Nothing on the right side currently due to side arm....

Like others have said, gear is specific to each player. Like Gabe, I have well over $1000 invested in gear just on my chest. What works for me...does not work for everyone. But I typically do not go prone. I also am not affraid to "quick ditch" my vest if I need to move fast.
TEAM LEADER - Blacksheep Airsoft(MN)
MAA Member Number: 5
OPERATION LION CLAWS SUPPORTER
OP: Northern Light CO
OP: The Ohio Project CO

med!c

Post by med!c » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Issued FLC

2 SD shingles (3 mags each)
2 SD M4 / M16 molle magazine pouches
2 SD 1 QT molle canteen covers
1 Truspec M4 / M16 molle magazine pouch
3 SD grenade pouches
1 SD 40MM grenade pouch
1 SD Drop leg dump pouch

Can be buckled closed or zipped closed and then buckled or just zipped. Nice piece of equipment and works wonders over OTVs / IBAs.

Ranger Rack

2 double Condor 40MM grenade pouches on chest
2 double Condor AK47 mag pouches
1 Condor medic pouch
1 100 / 200 round Condor saw pouch
Awesome pouch hanging off medic pouch was given to me by Jonesy, I keep forgetting what make it is.

fishsquatch
MAA Member

Post by fishsquatch » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:45 am

The PC is setup with very little in front to make it relatively comfortable when going prone.

Eagle Plate Carrier with Cummerbund
TAG Admin Pouch
Tactical Tailor Radio Pouch
Tactical Tailor .308 Shingles (2)
BDS Modular Stacker 4 .308 Pouch
Tactical Tailor Vertical Pouch
BDS Tactical Stacker GP Pouch
BDS Tactical Roll Away Dump Pouch
BattleLab Hydration Patrol Pack
Custom Shotgun Scabbard

I wear this subload under the PC or by itself. When I want to run light, I just throw
on the Subload and a Camelback hydration pack.

Tactical Tailor MOLLE Belt
HSGI Suspenders
BDS Modular Stacker 2 .308 Pouch
Bianchi UM84 Holster
BDS Tactical Stacker GP Pouch
TAG Single Pistol Mag Pouch (2)
BDS Tactical Double Pistol Mag Pouch

At least half of this gear (including the PC) was purchased used so I was able to keep
the price down to a ?reasonable? level. I only have one rig, so it has to be pretty versatile.

sig68
MAA Member

Re: Gear loadouts: Pics and Details

Post by sig68 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:02 am

OK well I thought I would bring back this topic, so I'm going to post up my SIG552 rig (P90 rig will be posted at a later date).

I did not want to get fancy with the number labeling system but I think you guys can keep up.....

First off the base of this rig is a Phantom/Pantac CIRAS Land version, size medium. Fits me well and I'm 5'11" 150 pounds.

Well onto the vest.....

Front, From top to bottom:
-BHI Level 2 USP serpa holster with speed clip molle mount
-CTD pocket pouch (one with name tape on it)
-BHI double M14 mag pouch (x4)

Moving on the left side:

-CTD EMT pouch
-Pantac Double Pistol mag pouch (mounted on EMT pouch)
-Maxpedition Mega Rollypoly dump pouch

Next is right side:
-CTD EMT pouch
-CTD double Frag Grenade pouch (mounted on EMT pouch)

Last is the back side:

-BHI hydration carrier w/ Camelbak 103oz hydrolink bladder
-BHI GP utility pouch
-Pantac smoke grenade pouch (used to carry 2 SIG552 mags clipped together)

Now here is a list of rest of my gear that is not on my vest:

-BHI Warrior Wear Black Ops boots
-BHI Knee Pads (behind boots)
-BHI Fury Gloves
-BHI Riggers Belt
-Tru-Spec Tiger Stripe camo (DCU & BDU not pictured)
-Tru-Spec Tiger Stripe Bonnie Hat
-Pantac Balaclava

Now for the comments on my rig:

The M14 mag pouches I found work the best for carrying 2 SIG552 mags clipped together.
The CIRAS is very comfortable and I'm not worried about wearing this vest the whole day (or ever more time if need be).
I really like the CTD EMT pouch, Very versatile. Can carry a bag of bb's to a little something to munch on.
For the upside down mag pouch on my lower right back.... Well i ran out of space on my front so i stuck it there. It is quite accessible from that position. Just another little trick to hold a couple more mags on your rig.

Pros:
-Well this is a "kitchen-Sink Rig" so I can hold a lot of stuff
-Pack a lot of mags on the vest
-Lots of MOLLE real estate
-Ample Utility room (for those long ops)
-very comfortable

Cons:
-Heavy
-low maneuverability
-high cost
-Going prone is a pain (but not impossible)

Well overall I really love this loadout/rig. If you have any questions or comments post away, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Mods could we make this thread a sticky because I don't want to lose a this great info like the last thread......
-MARK-
T.O.C. Member

TYRO
MAA Member

Post by TYRO » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 am

Gear is over rated.

haha jk, Diamondback Tactical is the only way to go.

Knight
Midwest Airsoft Guerrillas

Post by Knight » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Oooh, can I share?

My long standing CQB/Assault Rig.

Paraclete RAV with an assorted selection of various pouches. Only things not shown in the pic are the addition of HSGI suspenders on the 1st line and a hydro pouch on the back that doubles as a small field pack. Thinking of switching it over to an E&E or one of those sexy eagle deals.

beasthunter33
A Regular

Post by beasthunter33 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 pm

Here is my ACU loadout, a couple pouches to add, more pistol mags on the side really, and I need some real SAW pouches (I run a 60, M249, and an M4 so these work the best for all three)

Ignore the stupid Facial expressions.

And the Gear list:

VEST:
Blackwater I-O Plate Carrier
2 Pantac Dual M16 pouches
Pantac Utility pouch
Pantac MBSS hydration pack
Maxpedition 3x5 pouch
HSGI Dual pistol mag pouch

First Line:
Pantac BLS belt
Serpa Tactical Holster
Custom TM 1911

Essentials:
Swat IBH Helmet
Converse Side Zips
Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G. Gloves
ESSTac Goggles

Weapon

Inokatsu M60E3
or A&K M249
or SP M4
Nick Miller, Wolf Recon Support Gunner

Blackcat
MAA Member

Post by Blackcat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:19 pm

Whats in the bottles?
FORT Team - 21st Infantry Division(RIP) - MAA#46 - BATC 03-05hg - Gunfighter Level 1 - OPs Attended: 12 - Blackcat's Profile - Blog

Jonesy
MAA Member

Post by Jonesy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 pm

Close yer' mouth, boy. The flies are gonna make a nest!
Blackcat wrote:Whats in the bottles?

BB's for the 60'. Doi. ;-)
E .· ` ' / ·. F

Delta Milsim Group

Blackcat
MAA Member

Post by Blackcat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:53 pm

that was my only guess
FORT Team - 21st Infantry Division(RIP) - MAA#46 - BATC 03-05hg - Gunfighter Level 1 - OPs Attended: 12 - Blackcat's Profile - Blog

beasthunter33
A Regular

Post by beasthunter33 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 pm

You guessed right. They work great too.
Nick Miller, Wolf Recon Support Gunner

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:37 pm

My new gear is this:

Me running naked through the field with mags taped to my body! Occasionally, I might paint myself to blend in more. I found running nude through the forest is the best! Very tactical and for some reason, people run the other way!
TEAM LEADER - Blacksheep Airsoft(MN)
MAA Member Number: 5
OPERATION LION CLAWS SUPPORTER
OP: Northern Light CO
OP: The Ohio Project CO

Keyser
MAA Member

Post by Keyser » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:54 am

Good call DT. Charge into battle naked like the celts.
Morris Team (The sexy one.)

MAA Member 71

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Downtown wrote:My new gear is this:

Me running naked through the field with mags taped to my body! Occasionally, I might paint myself to blend in more. I found running nude through the forest is the best! Very tactical and for some reason, people run the other way!
God that sounds hot.

Jonesy
MAA Member

Post by Jonesy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Figure it's time to take some snaps of the MC stuff I've pieced together.

Base: HSGI D.A.C.H. Chest Harness w/ HSGI Molle Hydration Attachment.
Pictured with Six AK-47 Magazines, Two M9 Magazines, The patented Jonesy "Wet Back" Hydration System, and assorted goodies in fold down array. (Duct tape, IDs, Knife, Carabiner(s), Sharpies, First Aid, Backup Radio, Pens, Map from AI-BA3.)

Secondary (attached): Tactical Tailor Molle Belt in Khaki with Horizontal GP Pouches, Condor Recovery Pouch, Blackhawk M9 Omega Drop Leg Holster- lightly dusted with Krylon tan to give it that foliage zing.

More to come obviously- as I can still stand upright under my own power in the current configuration.

Pro's? It carries everything I need without giving me excess room to fill with needless crap. It also includes all of the items I need in one piece, so I don't have to worry about assembling my rig once I arrive at the field. E-Z On, E-Z Off.

Con's? Because this rig is one piece, it's hard to ditch certain pieces of it on the fly. It's more or less an all or nothin' kinda rig- which doesn't concern me, but it might be an issue for some. It's also price prohibitive. (I.E. Expensive.)
E .· ` ' / ·. F

Delta Milsim Group

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Jonesy- Jesus just called me, said he can't find his ID. Sup wit dat?
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:46 pm

This post if for POSTING GEAR PICS and discussing what is here..... If you have questions about someones gear, feel free to ask. Some OT banter is expected as is kudos but if you want to ask general questions about gear, open a new post.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Schmee

Post by Schmee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Jonesy, isnt your flag facing the wrong way? jw

Jonesy
MAA Member

Post by Jonesy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:53 am

Schmee wrote:Jonesy, isnt your flag facing the wrong way? jw

Yes, but it also only has 49 stars.

I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!

Happy now? :-)
E .· ` ' / ·. F

Delta Milsim Group

turtlewoo
A Regular

Re:

Post by turtlewoo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:44 pm

MajWinters636 wrote:to start it off my vest is the CTD plate carrier vest in OD. This is a very nice vest for the price but i would die to be able to replace it with a Eagle industries or a Phantom CIRAS vest.
How tight does this vest fit? I'm 5'11" and 140 lbs. Do you think it would fit snugly on me? on CTD they said 19" on the front and 30" in the back. But can the front and back somehow overlap to make it smaller?

Thats a nice loadout By the way
"The eyes of the patriot, fixed through the scope. The unknowing tyrant, walks to the rope. It's when murder is justice that martyrs are made, a one-gun salute for the no-independence-day. They'll hallow your name for your sacrifice."

Return to “Gear Discussion”