SRT/ESU Idea

A group of players interested in roleplaying SWAT tactics and practices.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

trikx
Extremely Regular

SRT/ESU Idea

Post by trikx » Sun May 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Ok, so I know there are lots of people out there who have an interest in a SWAT style team, and can't afford to deck themselves all out in black or navy. I was reading an article the other day about how some SRT/ESU units around the nation are starting to have their operators store their vest in the trunk of their squad car for quicker response (since a dedicated SWAT team is a RARITY. NYPD-LAPD-Chicago-Dallas are the few). Their patrol officers who are ESU operators can fly up to the call, drop their duty belt and kick on their SRT gear, and now you're looking at a response time for SRT in about 15-20min opposed to the 1hr for most dept's now days. That in mind, I would like to gauge interest as to a possible SRT/ESU style team. My idea would be to have the following for regulations:

Uniform:
Shirt: Long sleeve or short sleeve patrol officer shirt (these come as cheap as 20$ through LawPro brand or can get up to $60+) in either tan, or nickel gray.

Pant: Class A or Class B style pant, either forest green/brown (if we use a tan shirt) or black/charcoal(if we use a nickel gray shirt)

Equipment:
Some kind of plate carrier style vest, because I have yet to see a SWAT operator wearing a ACU chest rig.

Color: Any color prominently used by SRT/ESU: Black, Navy, OD, Woodland, Tan. MARPAT COULD be allowed, depending. ACU/starwarsflague/red, etc would be disallowed. I have seen plenty of teams using the above mentioned colors so I don't see why that couldn't work.

Boots:
Must be black. No tan boots would be allowed.

Weapons:
Pistols: Not required, but would be any military/LE model (Glock, Beretta, Sig, USP, etc)

Primary:
M4 variant
MP5 variant
P90
UMP
Shotgun

Basically the idea would be that you are a patrol officer/SRT operator and are using your "SHTF" rig out of the back of your squad. If people are interested in this PLEASE speak up. I know I have yet to hit a game with you guys, but I would still like to make something happen because I think it'd be real fun.
The night is always darkest right before dawn.

genorion
Web Admin

Re: SRT/ESU Idea

Post by genorion » Thu May 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Would be an interesting spin for those that cant go full swat gear. I could get behind this.
You did what to your computer?
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Thu May 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Exactly, that and dedicate SWAT teams are VERY few and far between. Aside from a select handful, most agencies don't pay a team to sit around waiting for calls and to do warrant service, most are patrol officers who get the call while on patrol and have to respond to the call with their SWAT gear with them. The idea behind the uniform is it'd be a "county" SRT squad....my buddy, the one who created this idea, stated we could also allow other uniforms in as long as they are a patrol officer style, seeing that lots of SRT teams are actually combined units of all the cities in the county. It's just an idea at any rate, and open for discussion.

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Sat May 17, 2008 6:03 pm

Hmm... this does seem like a pretty cool idea Trikx, I'd be willing to give it a go :)

All the uniform requirements sound perfectly logical to me except for maybe the plate carrier vest. Maybe I just haven't looked enough but I've never seen a SWAT member or a police offer geared up for emergency response in a plate carrier vest. I've seen lots of soft body armor being worn underneath various styles of low profile chest rigs and assault vests but I've never seen a MOLLE plate carrier being used.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a law enforcement agent using a MOLLE vest of any kind (I know that the moment I say that someone is going to post a picture of a police officer wearing a MOLLE vest, but it's true that I've never personally seen one). MOLLE gear seems to be much more of a military thing and not so much a police thing from my perspective.

So I was thinking more along the lines of chest rigs like these --->
MP5/P90/UMP : http://www.ustactical.com/blackhawk-sos ... -1208.html
M4 : http://www.ustactical.com/blackhawk-sos ... -1207.html

Or a basic easy on & off zippered assault vest like one of these --->
http://www.lapolicegear.com/blomtavecrdr.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/blomtave.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/blomtaveeod.html

Any of those would work, and while I know most people won't be willing to drop $100+ on a Blackhawk vest for a single loadout there are plenty of good Blackhawk style knock off vests for $50-80 and you can often find real lightly used Blackhawk vests for cheaper than the knock offs on eBay.

But yeah, your idea sounds like a good one to me. The only thing I think could use a little tweaking is the gear :)
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 pm

I like the ideas, keep em comin! I only suggested plate carriers for a couple reasons. 1, a lot of people use them. 2, i have seem lots of SRT teams using them. I am open for discussion about most things minus weapons, so keep the ideas flowin!

EDIT:
Now that I look at the top rigs you posted, those remind me more of Active Shooter rigs a normal patrol officer would carry, this unit would be more like a SWAT team which keeps their gear in their patrol car so they don't have to drive back to the station, get the gear, wait for the team, then drive out there. If you've ever seen Dallas SWAT they have a similar setup on hot calls when they are off duty.
Last edited by trikx on Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trikx
Extremely Regular

Post by trikx » Sun May 18, 2008 3:45 pm

Image our county team uses these and they have MOLLE style webbing on them

Return to “SWAT/Police Interest Group”