Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Have GUN questions? Ask here.

For general & advanced questions about Airsoft upgrades, maintenance, aftermarket add ons, etc.

This is NOT a forum to ask for general Airsoft Help. If you want that, post in the General or Newbie sections.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Post Reply
DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:04 am

So, a few months ago I went out and bought a brand spankin' new KWA RIS M4 2GX, and love it! I've used it a lot lately and find it is lacking in the range department... I've done some "fine" tuning, Tightening up the trigger, fixing the angle of engagement, and lube after the break in point, but find that I need a longer barrel, I've asked a few people who are "okay" with this type of stuff, but find I'd much rather have opinions from people who KNOW what they are talking about.

So, if you don't mind, these are the two items I've looked in to getting to give me some more range.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6530

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... s_id=12101

If anyone knows if this will work, By that I mean if the inner barrel will be covered right, and if this barrel will fit in to the two part hop up.
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

User avatar
Archer
MAA Member
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Eagan, MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Archer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:25 am

you'd be better off upgrading the hop-up unit and bucking and switching to high-grade heavy (.25 or higher weight) BB's

Tight Bore barrels are actually very over rated. Range is all about hop in airsoft. I have a gun that shoots around 275fps that outranges most 450 guns it goes against because it's hop is insane and I use heavy BB's

now, because you bought a KWA and its proprietary hop-up, you will either have to deal with that, or modify your gun to take a standard M4 one-piece hop up unit. either way, hop-up is range.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Beta
Almost A Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: st.cloud

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Beta » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:50 am

I am actually going to be doing a kwa flathop mod within the next few days. I just bought a flathop kit from guges and will be attempting it, or modifying the kwa bucking to use the flathop. So I will keep you posted

DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Archer wrote:you'd be better off upgrading the hop-up unit and bucking and switching to high-grade heavy (.25 or higher weight) BB's

Tight Bore barrels are actually very over rated. Range is all about hop in airsoft. I have a gun that shoots around 275fps that out ranges most 450 guns it goes against because it's hop is insane and I use heavy BB's

now, because you bought a KWA and its proprietary hop-up, you will either have to deal with that, or modify your gun to take a standard M4 one-piece hop up unit. either way, hop-up is range.

Funny thing about the hop-up, the Tech at my local store suggested I do that! I now have the One-Piece hop-up unit already in the gun. That being said, I'd still like the longer barrel and would love to know if these items posted above are going to work well with my gun.
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Beta wrote:I am actually going to be doing a kwa flathop mod within the next few days. I just bought a flathop kit from guges and will be attempting it, or modifying the kwa bucking to use the flathop. So I will keep you posted


I hear that Flat-Hops rule and are very strong, Please do keep me posted! Would love to see how you did it and how it worked out!
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

User avatar
Guges Mk3
MAA Member
Posts: 8840
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:01 am
Location: MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:49 am

DasOmen wrote:
Archer wrote:you'd be better off upgrading the hop-up unit and bucking and switching to high-grade heavy (.25 or higher weight) BB's

Tight Bore barrels are actually very over rated. Range is all about hop in airsoft. I have a gun that shoots around 275fps that out ranges most 450 guns it goes against because it's hop is insane and I use heavy BB's

now, because you bought a KWA and its proprietary hop-up, you will either have to deal with that, or modify your gun to take a standard M4 one-piece hop up unit. either way, hop-up is range.

Funny thing about the hop-up, the Tech at my local store suggested I do that! I now have the One-Piece hop-up unit already in the gun. That being said, I'd still like the longer barrel and would love to know if these items posted above are going to work well with my gun.
It will not work well. You are a tad over simplistic on thinking how an AEG works. It is not a video game where you can plug in the next part and see an improvement. AEG's are blowguns and thus you have to address it with blow gun physics in mind. Plugging in a part in most cases will result in a negative effect due to other issues not being addressed. Plus your accuracy will suffer due to the tighter bore if you don't shoot a small bore heavy bb.

Another issue will be an under-volumed cylinder. Your FPS will drop significantly with a barrel that long with a stock cylinder in a KWA.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Guges Mk3 wrote:
DasOmen wrote:
Archer wrote:you'd be better off upgrading the hop-up unit and bucking and switching to high-grade heavy (.25 or higher weight) BB's

Tight Bore barrels are actually very over rated. Range is all about hop in airsoft. I have a gun that shoots around 275fps that out ranges most 450 guns it goes against because it's hop is insane and I use heavy BB's

now, because you bought a KWA and its proprietary hop-up, you will either have to deal with that, or modify your gun to take a standard M4 one-piece hop up unit. either way, hop-up is range.

Funny thing about the hop-up, the Tech at my local store suggested I do that! I now have the One-Piece hop-up unit already in the gun. That being said, I'd still like the longer barrel and would love to know if these items posted above are going to work well with my gun.
It will not work well. You are a tad over simplistic on thinking how an AEG works. It is not a video game where you can plug in the next part and see an improvement. AEG's are blowguns and thus you have to address it with blow gun physics in mind. Plugging in a part in most cases will result in a negative effect due to other issues not being addressed. Plus your accuracy will suffer due to the tighter bore if you don't shoot a small bore heavy bb.

Another issue will be an under-volumed cylinder. Your FPS will drop significantly with a barrel that long with a stock cylinder in a KWA.

I'm not worried about the FPS drop with the new hop up, in fact, I'd welcome it (As long as it doesn't go under 320)! My FPS is at 405 right now and that's too high for any out-door fields here. The gun came with a 6.03mm barrel out of the box and I only use EliteForce .25 gram BB's. I'm planing on putting in better cylinder very soon! Any suggestions on the right one to get?

Back to my enduring question, If I get that Mock Suppressor, and that barrel, will they fit together? Will I have any inner barrel sticking out? What is the best way to go about installing these parts? This is my first "Project" that I'm doing from starting to get in the hobby or airsoft and I thought I'd come here and ask for help. I'm not looking to over haul the gun, or make it ungodly accurate or even the "best gun on the field", there is always room for more upgrades and better parts, this is just my plan for right now, I do plan on adding some other things as well, New outer barrel, free float rails with flip up iron sights and what not, just external stuff.
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

User avatar
Guges Mk3
MAA Member
Posts: 8840
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:01 am
Location: MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Guges Mk3 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 am

The inner barrel in no way should touch a silencer/barrel extension

With that it should fit your outer barrel.

However....I see don't see any benefits in a longer inner barrel for you, other than to drop your FPS (+ plus for you)...and a decrease in range and accuracy (- overall).
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

mhofstad
Fairly Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 am
Location: Princeton, Mn

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by mhofstad » Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 am

Guges Mk3 wrote:The inner barrel in no way should touch a silencer/barrel extension

With that it should fit your inner barrel.

However....I see don't see any benefits in a longer inner barrel for you, other than to drop your FPS (+ plus for you)...and a decrease in range and accuracy (- overall).
Decrease in range? I wouldn't think it would negatively affect that

User avatar
Guges Mk3
MAA Member
Posts: 8840
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:01 am
Location: MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Guges Mk3 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:56 pm

By dropping FPS and reducing back spin...yes it will.

Though...you will be ~144mm closer to your target...that will not overcome the decreases in the other two variables.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

mhofstad
Fairly Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 am
Location: Princeton, Mn

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by mhofstad » Thu May 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Unless you are 144 mm away from your target. OK that makes though.

User avatar
Tank
Team PALADIN
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Tank » Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

The barrel and mock suppressor you linked to WILL fit your gun. HOWEVER, the fake suppressor is NOT long enough to hide the barrel. Standard M4 barrel = 363 mm, M16 barel = 509 mm. 509-363= 146 The mock suppressor is only 120 mm, so that will leave 26 mm of inner barrel sticking out.

As Guges has already mentioned, putting a 509 mm barrel in your gun is not going to to help you.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Thu May 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Tank wrote:The barrel and mock suppressor you linked to WILL fit your gun. HOWEVER, the fake suppressor is NOT long enough to hide the barrel. Standard M4 barrel = 363 mm, M16 barel = 509 mm. 509-363= 146 The mock suppressor is only 120 mm, so that will leave 26 mm of inner barrel sticking out.

As Guges has already mentioned, putting a 509 mm barrel in your gun is not going to to help you.

Thank you for answering my question!

What do you guys think I should go with then? I'd really like to use a Mock Suppressor and worry about not having any barrel in it, if you can link me some parts that I should get and use for this, please do.
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

User avatar
Guges Mk3
MAA Member
Posts: 8840
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:01 am
Location: MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:40 am

Just buy the mock suppressor and stick it on.

Who said when one buys a mock suppressor you must run a barrel through it.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Fri May 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Guges Mk3 wrote:Just buy the mock suppressor and stick it on.

Who said when one buys a mock suppressor you must run a barrel through it.

Alright, I guess I didn't think about that..... I've only been in the sport for about a year or two now and airsoft guns are kind'a new to me and would love to learn more about the right up-grades to do to a gun to make it work better and last longer. Be that hop-up, bucking, gear box parts and gears, springs, motors and all that good stuff! If you have suggestions on what to parts that would fit well and make the gun "better", PLEASE SHARE! I'm always looking to learn new things and with how knowledgeable a lot of the members of the MAA are, I'd love to get some of that!

Thank you all so much for the help,

Tyler.
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

Touchette
MAA Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by Touchette » Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 pm

The best way to make your gun better is to make the operator better. That means you need to get out and play, play, and play some more; taking shooting/tactical training classes may provide some benefit as well, though not all RS tactics will apply directly to airsoft. The best way to learn is to play with more experienced players, the best way to play with them is to get to know them by going to games, asking questions, and actually following/using advice given.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

DasOmen
Still A Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Austin MN

Re: Doing some up-grades.. Input?

Post by DasOmen » Fri May 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Touchette wrote:The best way to make your gun better is to make the operator better. That means you need to get out and play, play, and play some more; taking shooting/tactical training classes may provide some benefit as well, though not all RS tactics will apply directly to airsoft. The best way to learn is to play with more experienced players, the best way to play with them is to get to know them by going to games, asking questions, and actually following/using advice given.

I agree! I play a lot at a field my friends are I our building on a lot he just bought, not sure on the size but it's big! He has been playing for about... I'd like to say 5 or 6 years? We try to play once a week and keep building more and more for the field! As for tactics, my father was in the Army Rangers and has been teaching me tactics and and squad movements, I really don't play any local fields due to the long drive and due to the fact that I work 5 out of 7 days a week, just had a kid and life is freaking crazy! Plus, my guns all fire to high for any indoor places here, and I can't use any of my side arms thanks to them being Co2 (Damn it..), Plus, the out door places are what I like playing, I like nature and don't mind the heat, rain, cold, or wind. If you hear of any out door ops, Please let me know on that too!
LEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYY JIIIIIINNNNNNKKKKKKKIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

Post Reply

Return to “Help Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest