Screw head sheared off?

Have GUN questions? Ask here.

For general & advanced questions about Airsoft upgrades, maintenance, aftermarket add ons, etc.

This is NOT a forum to ask for general Airsoft Help. If you want that, post in the General or Newbie sections.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Bartelme
Still A Newbie

Screw head sheared off?

Post by Bartelme » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:09 pm

My gearbox locked up, when I was taking it apart I came across a sheared screw that holds together the two shells. The sheared screw is level with the surface of the shell. I haven't seen any screw extractors small enough for a screw this size. Is there any way to remove it without destroying the threads?
"I'm going to push my forward assist that this gun does not have, oh wait. I'm using the wrong caliber that's the problem."

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: Screw head sheared off?

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Picture?
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Beta
Almost A Regular

Post by Beta » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:07 pm

I have a couple tricks we use when this happens on cars but you will need to be extremely careful because obviously gearboxes aren't as strong as a car haha.

1. You can punch it, you can take a small punch (or very small flathead) and put it at an angle on a flatspot or anywhere it can catch on the screw and tap it with a hammer until it twists enough to come off by hand.

2. depending on how rounded it is you can use a hex bit, the multiple points are harp enough that they will catch metal parts more easily.

3.(be very cautious with this one) you can hammer a smaller screwdriver into the screw to create a new slot, if you attempt this one you need to brace behind the screw on something sturdy but this is a risky thing to attempt.

4. you can drill the screw out but this requires the proper tools and a lot of caution so you do not go to big and grind the threads off.

5. try a flathead you dont mind beating up, with a good pressure on the flathead it can dig into the metal enough to catch and remove it.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Dremel. Find the appropriate size of bit, grind in a slot, and unscrew it. It might take a bit of work, but it will work and won't damage the threads.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Only suggestion I use that isn't listed is to jb weld a small allen wrench to the screw, allow to dry, and remove. This is my last resort, often the dremel cutting a new slot is enough.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:29 pm

By "sheared screw" I'm thinking that there is no head left on the screw at all? If that's the case a lot of these suggestions are unlikely to work.

Did you break the screw torsionally or was it already broken when you found it? If it was a torsional failure then it's very likely that the remaining screw shaft is good and well stuck into the threads, and you'll have a hell of a time getting it out.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Bartelme
Still A Newbie

Post by Bartelme » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:18 am

The head was sheared when I took the gearbox out the receiver. I tried to create a small notch for a small flat head screwdriver but I couldn't get the threads to turn. Looks like I'll just have to drill it out and buy a new shell. Thanks for the replies.
"I'm going to push my forward assist that this gun does not have, oh wait. I'm using the wrong caliber that's the problem."

Return to “Help Forum”