What c rating should I get for my lipo?

Have GUN questions? Ask here.

For general & advanced questions about Airsoft upgrades, maintenance, aftermarket add ons, etc.

This is NOT a forum to ask for general Airsoft Help. If you want that, post in the General or Newbie sections.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

neoM4tech
A Regular

What c rating should I get for my lipo?

Post by neoM4tech » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:07 am

I am looking to get a new battery and I am pretty sure that a 2 cell lipo will work. I am wondering if a 20c will be enough and could use some advice. I know that with 32:1 gears even a cheap pos 7.2v nicd will pull the spring reliably, but I wanted a faster trigger response so I threw in the stock 18:1 jg gears I had. Obviously the pos wont pull the spring so i want lipo. The only lipo I own currently is 11.1v and I get a little over-spin so I want to tone this down to a 7.4v. I understand that the c rating will effect the discharge rate, but I am fairly new to lipos and wanted the opinion of others before I purchase.

here is my set up (probably more info than you need)
m4 (v2 of course)
wired to deans
motor - matrix 3000 high torque
trigger contacts - shs
tappet plate - shs
air nozzle - shs with o-ring
cylinder -shs full (no holes)
cylinder head - asg double o-ring aluminum
piston - shs full metal tooth
piston head - forget brand, but its aluminum with a bearing
spring - prometheus ms150sp
stock 509mm barrel out of another gun I had
bucking - madbull shark (includes spare)
full new set of springs (trigger return, tappet, trigger, ect.)
shimmed
relubed
corrected aoe with sorbothane
radiused the gb
#14 o-ring on piston head
teflon tape the cylinder head

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Re: What c rating should I get for my lipo?

Post by SeawolfIV » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:10 am

I've always read to get as high of a C rating as you can. A good analogy compares the C rating to a water reservoir: the voltage is the capacity, the amperage is the size of holes that let water flow, and the C rating is simply the flow rate. According to people smarter than me :) , the motor will take whatever power it needs to run, but if it needs more power than the battery has to offer, the battery will become strained, eventually ruining the battery.
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:22 am

well, i doubt i would need 65c. (not shopping here, just happened to find this on google)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-65c-5300- ... ullet.html
yes i COULD use this, and use it all weekend... 5300 mah? yeah thats more than i need. how about a little more specific recommendation lol

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:28 am

SeawolfIV wrote: A good analogy compares the C rating to a water reservoir: the voltage is the capacity, the amperage is the size of holes that let water flow, and the C rating is simply the flow rate. According to people smarter than me :) , the motor will take whatever power it needs to run, but if it needs more power than the battery has to offer, the battery will become strained, eventually ruining the battery.
umm...your analogy is mixed up a bit.

Mah is capacity. You can have a 7.2V 1000mah and a 11.1V 1000mah. If you use voltage as capacity, your saying the 7.2V has LESS capacity vs. 11.1V when in fact they are both the same.

C is the rate that allows it to flow.

As a rule of thumb you want a battery that can deliver a MINIMUM of 25A in power for modern AEG's. A = C x Mah.

So...

20C x 1000mah = 20000/1000 (A = 1000) you have a 20 A pack...not the greatest...but it can work.
15C x 1000mah = 15A...no way for non-Japanese SPEC AEG's.
25C x 3000mah = 75A...sure no problem...
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:21 am

so yeah, the above linked battery has a 344.5A pack.

alright, so i am ball-parking the figures, taking into account the rough guess of 1-3 shots per mah, i will be aiming for over 3000mah (thinking for longer games) and will look at 30c, although it appears that a 25c will suit me just as well if the price is enough of a savings. if i were cramped for battery space i can see why a higher c would matter, but i have a full stock and LOADS of battery room. hence i will be aiming for higher mah rather than needing higher c. make sense? agree? disagree?

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Post by SeawolfIV » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 am

Guges Mk3 wrote: umm...your analogy is mixed up a bit.
Thanks, I forgot how it went.
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 am

neoM4tech wrote:so yeah, the above linked battery has a 344.5A pack.

alright, so i am ball-parking the figures, taking into account the rough guess of 1-3 shots per mah, i will be aiming for over 3000mah (thinking for longer games) and will look at 30c, although it appears that a 25c will suit me just as well if the price is enough of a savings. if i were cramped for battery space i can see why a higher c would matter, but i have a full stock and LOADS of battery room. hence i will be aiming for higher mah rather than needing higher c. make sense? agree? disagree?
If your looking at the 5300mah pack, which I have many in that size.

Ball park estimates.

Stock TM - 6 shots per mah.
Ferrite Motors on a M120 - 3-4 shots per mah.
Neo Motor on a M120 - ~2 shots per mah
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Return to “Help Forum”