Tm vsr problems

Have GUN questions? Ask here.

For general & advanced questions about Airsoft upgrades, maintenance, aftermarket add ons, etc.

This is NOT a forum to ask for general Airsoft Help. If you want that, post in the General or Newbie sections.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

ilovethissport
Still A Newbie

Tm vsr problems

Post by ilovethissport » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:56 pm

I recently aquired a TM VSR-10 G-Spec in a trade, (beautiful gun). I got it as more of a project gun ,and hope to have it field ready by april or may. So the deal is , everytime you pull the bolt back (hard pull so i assume its a heavy spring) you have to turn the bolt ,so that it catches (the piston that is), otherwise the bolt just goes back and you are not able to fire. Anyways i have very little experience with spring snipers and my best guess after a little research is that its a problem with the sears, oh the gun is also somewhat up'd with
*pss10 laylax zero trigger and piston
*some tightbore barrel
any and all input would be greatly appreciated
Codename:"Sport"
Airsoft technician

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Re: Tm vsr problems

Post by SeawolfIV » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Pretty much, the sears are the things that catch the piston so that it doesn't move while the spring guide is being pushed (compressed) towards it. Then, while pushing the "bolt" into battery, the piston is supposed to be kept in place by the trigger sears.

Because yours are not holding the piston properly, it is logical to guess that the sears are worn and need to be replaced.

If you're not looking to spend much on the platform, you may want to consider trading back, as aftermarket sears can be expensive.
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:56 pm

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=5951

looks like 55 bucks, but on the bright side they wont wear out as fast as the stock sear (assuming what is in there is still stock)

fishsquatch
MAA Member

Post by fishsquatch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:20 pm

You have a zero trigger, which is a completely different setup than the stock trigger. Those replacement sears will not work.

There are not that many moving parts in these bolties. I suspect you might have a spring guide issue or something pretty simple. The zero triggers are very durable and don't tend to fail like the sears do when the springs are upgraded.

How handy are you? These things are simple and fun to work on IMO. A lot easier than an AEG. The zero trigger makes it relatively easy to remove the cylinder and bolt.

To remove the cylinder head to get at the piston, spring and spring guide you need a special tool.

NOTE: if for whatever reason you decide to take it completely apart, there are two set screws that have to be removed before removing the outer barrel. One is obvious. The other is the front mounting screw of the scope mount. You will strip the threads on the outer barrel if you do not remove that screw.

Sent from mobile device. Pardon the brevity.
Last edited by fishsquatch on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MS40 Rangers

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

nice catch fish, i missed that part. yes the zero trigger is not likely the culprit. i wonder if the lip the sear catches has worn down... which i believe is the rear edge of the piston...

fishsquatch
MAA Member

Post by fishsquatch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Maybe. Anything is possible.

I had a sear engagement issue once when a metal spring guide shaft started to unscrew from the base. A little threadlock took care of the issue.

MS40 Rangers

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:06 pm

looks like without taking her apart and inspecting each piece you aren't gonna get an answer, but we gave you some ideas to look for at least

ilovethissport
Still A Newbie

Post by ilovethissport » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Well im actually pretty handy, and im not to bad at tinkering with guns. (I'm in the process of trying to become a tech, like master tcaa). I'll take it apart, and thuroughly go through it . It also has a pretty loud crack when i fire it, just something i've noticed. And thanks all for the advice and suggestions, I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
Airsoft technician

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Post by SeawolfIV » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Honestly, as long as you take your time, read and are able to replace whatever is needed, you should be fine.
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

ilovethissport
Still A Newbie

Post by ilovethissport » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, I took the gun apart and there are 3 things i noticed. 1st the Zero trigger is missing 2 screws ,2nd the white "nipple" that ive seen on a lot of pistons isnt on mine, and the rubber pad is fixed to the back of the cylinder head (and its not quite centered). 3rd right were the cylinder head goes into the hop unit, the packing is ripped and while the gun shoots, it wont sky a .28 g&g psbp bb and the barrel i found out is a laylax pss10 430mm 6.03 tbb.i dont know the fps but i assume it has a 170 or 190 spring due to a harder spring pull.
Airsoft technician

fishsquatch
MAA Member

Re: Re: Tm vsr problems

Post by fishsquatch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 pm

ilovethissport wrote:Well, I took the gun apart and there are 3 things i noticed. 1st the Zero trigger is missing 2 screws ,2nd the white "nipple" that ive seen on a lot of pistons isnt on mine, and the rubber pad is fixed to the back of the cylinder head (and its not quite centered). 3rd right were the cylinder head goes into the hop unit, the packing is ripped and while the gun shoots, it wont sky a .28 g&g psbp bb and the barrel i found out is a laylax pss10 430mm 6.03 tbb.i dont know the fps but i assume it has a 170 or 190 spring due to a harder spring pull.
1. Should be an easy fix then . . . .

2. The nipple is the air brake and is commonly removed. And the zero piston comes with a nipple or plug.

3. New packing is about $25 - get the hard one.

Keep us posted on the resurrection!

MS40 Rangers

ilovethissport
Still A Newbie

Post by ilovethissport » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Ok, I'll get a new packing at the convention and let you all know how it goes from there.
Airsoft technician

ilovethissport
Still A Newbie

Post by ilovethissport » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Got a new packing its working better now but, I've run out of grease ,and i'm getting some soon. I'm also getting screws to replace the ones it's missing (in the trigger assembly). I'm pretty sure that'll fix the problem, seeing as one of the most important screws is missing. (one that mounts it to the barrel)
Airsoft technician

Return to “Help Forum”