Minors & Airsoft Rules

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Do you think the facemask rule should be changed?

Yes.
17%
No.
79%
Considered on case-by-case basis.
3%

Total votes: 29

C-BASS
Fairly Regular

Minors & Airsoft Rules

Post by C-BASS » Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 pm

I completely realize this has been brought up before but I wanted to re-iterate this point. Minors that play airsoft can be just as responsible as adults. I always try to be as responsible as possible as it reflects on others my age and below. I have seen others post that if maybe they signed a waiver they would be able to play without a full face mask. I agree with this but also would like to add to it. Instead of just the player themselves signing it, have the parents sign a separate waiver. This may sound like the usual waiver but instead of just restricting the player it also affects the parents involved. Also, I realize that a shemagh or other cloth facemasks do not qualify as full face protection and paintball masks offer total protection but what about a compromise in which the player does not have to wear a paintball mask but at minimum a half-face mesh mask in combination with some sort of helmet. I know that I definitively prefer goggles to any sort of paintball mask as the masks are generally foggy, uncomfortable, distorted, and look unprofessional. I personally have a pair of ESS goggles that are amazing and never fog. I also have a helmet for use with these goggles, both of these items would be rendered obsolete with these rules in place for all MAA sanctioned games. I hope that members carefully consider this plan and hopefully make a statement about it.

Thank you for your time. If you have any suggestions please leave them below.
(also please don't be too harsh as that is one of the few things that tends to set me off :evil: )
Follow me!

Viper
MAA Member

Re: Minors & Airsoft Rules

Post by Viper » Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 pm

The case-by-case measure of responsibility wouldn't work because how responsible you are has absolutely nothing to do with the matter. The full face mask is to protect you from other players. Nothing you do is going to make a difference if you get popped in the face from 5 feet away by another player.

The simple fact of the matter is, minors are minors. If you get injured in the course of a game, your parents are the ones who have legal power to do something about it. The full face requirement isn't based on responsibility, it's based on legal adulthood.

Waivers don't provide 100% coverage, even if your parents did sign off on it. And keep in mind fields (legal ones anyways) have to pay insurance. It's not too much of a stretch to see that insurance rates would go up if you had less-protected minors running around.

Full face masks are just something you need to learn to deal with as an airsoft player. If you don't like having to play with full face at 15, imagine having to do it when you're 25, 30, 40.... A lot of games require full-face, regardless of age. Some fields do it because they're mostly CQB, some fields do it because it's an insurance requirement, and some do it just because they'd rather not have people getting hurt under their responsibility.

If you are having comfort or fogging problems with the mask you have, then get a new mask. Get something more comfortable, put in thermal lenses, or put in a fan unit. Use anti-fog spray or coating. There are certainly ways to help prevent fogging. As for 'unprofessional', I'm not even sure what that means, but I will say this: safety > looks.

Erik (Safety Officer) or Gabe (President/CEO) are certainly going to be the authorities on this matter, but the MAA prides itself on safety, so I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

C-BASS
Fairly Regular

Post by C-BASS » Thu May 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Valid point, thanks for that. I did not in fact think about the field insurance...
Follow me!

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 am

At the core it is a liability issue and the rule WILL NOT change.

You're not the 1st minor to want the rule change nor will you be the last, unfortunately.

You can either comply with the rules or go else where. End of story.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

C-BASS
Fairly Regular

Post by C-BASS » Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Sorry I just wanted to shed light on a different approach to it. Didn't mean to upset anyone...
Follow me!

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Fri May 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Bottom line is, this rule will never, ever change. It serves two important purposes:

1. Protect minor players from injury
2. Protect the MAA from lawsuits by their parents.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

C-BASS
Fairly Regular

Post by C-BASS » Fri May 27, 2011 3:13 pm

I do understand why it is in place. At least now I have a better understanding of why... Oh, well... I tried...
Follow me!

Return to “Safety & Training”