Douchebags of the Month: January 2011

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Erik
MAA Member

Douchebags of the Month: January 2011

Post by Erik » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:54 pm

http://www.news4jax.com/news/26541647/detail.html#
Deputies Stop Teens With Airsoft Guns
Teen Seen On Billboard Along I-95 Armed With Rifle, Deputies Say

POSTED: Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- Three teen boys were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence after deputies said one of them could be seen on a billboard along Interstate 95 with an Airsoft gun.

Deputies were called to the area of I-95 and County Road 210 just before 6 p.m. Sunday after travelers notified them that they saw the teen on the billboard armed with a rifle.

As deputies began to check several billboards, two deputies said they saw several teens walking westbound on a dirt road that parallels the power lines. Deputies said they told the teens to stop, but they took off running.

Deputies said they were led to a home in the 700 block of New Wales Lane, where they found a 16-year-old boy wearing a mask and dressed in camouflage. Deputies said they ordered him to the ground at gunpoint.

They said the boy did not comply with deputies after several commands, and a deputy eventually forced him to his stomach and questioned him.

The teen told the deputy that he was a guest at the home and several other teens were playing with Airsoft guns in the woods.

Deputies said they contacted a parent, who confirmed that she had eight teens ages 15 and 16 at the home who had been playing with Airsoft guns.

All of the teens were brought outside for questioning, and the three that ran from deputies earlier were identified, deputies said.

All of the teens were identified and their parents were notified to come to the home, deputies said.

Deputies said they seized 14 assorted Airsoft replica weapons that resembled handguns, machine guns, rifles and shotguns. Airsoft guns shoot small, plastic, nonlethal pellets. The military-style game called Airsoft is similar to paintball but cheaper and less messy.

Deputies said the teens and their parents were advised of the seriousness and potential consequences of displaying toy weapons that appeared real to deputies.

In January 2006, a Seminole County teen was shot to death by a SWAT officer while brandishing an Airsoft pistol at a school.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Viper
MAA Member

Re: Douchebags of the Month: January 2011

Post by Viper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Those kids (very stupid) were extremely lucky; it looks like those officers showed a lot of restraint.

On a positive note, it's nice to see that the article mentions airsoft as a 'cheaper and less messy' alternative to paintball. When things like this happen, it's fairly common to see airsoft demonized -- which is why I'm thankful to the MAA, Erik in particular, for being so good about enforcing safe and legal play, and informing new players best as possible.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

McLovin
Extremely Regular

Post by McLovin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 pm

F**king kids, This is what gives airsoft a bad name.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm glad to see the return of the DOM, it's been too long.

One thing I think is odd about this story...The article says 14 guns were seized, yet there are 17 guns in the photo.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

mau5
Extremely Regular

Post by mau5 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 am

Anyone know what the one 3rd from the bottom on the right is?

I'll never understand why you would run from cops... or not listen to what they're telling you to do when they're pointing a gun at you.

Shock&Awe
Extremely Regular

Post by Shock&Awe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 am

mau5 wrote:Anyone know what the one 3rd from the bottom on the right is?
Looks like an AK-47.

Some of those teens could be shot right now... several of those guns do not have orange tips, which would scare the hell out of me if I was a cop (not that I like orange tips). It's idiots like this that publicly give airsoft a bad name, and make parents think twice before allowing their kids, as responsible as they may be, to try out the magnificent sport of airsoft. When has there been a good highlight about airsoft in the news? Probably never.
Former Airborne Infantryman 2011-2015

Molon Labe

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 am

mau5 wrote:Anyone know what the one 3rd from the bottom on the right is?
Doesn't really matter, in a few weeks it's going to be ground up metal and plastic. Guess the value of that pile, these morons are going to be out somewhere close to $1500.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Wow, that's actually some decent and non-biased reporting. What I'm wondering is what they were doing on a billboard overlooking a highway. Playing airsoft in the woods behind someone's house is one thing, but climbing up onto a billboard in front of passing traffic with an airsoft rifle is a whole different kind of stupid.
Shock&Awe wrote:Some of those teens could be shot right now... several of those guns do not have orange tips, which would scare the hell out of me if I was a cop
Orange tips are meaningless, no cop is going to trust his life on a belief that because a gun has an orange tip it is not real.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

mau5
Extremely Regular

Post by mau5 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Erik wrote:Doesn't really matter, in a few weeks it's going to be ground up metal and plastic. Guess the value of that pile, these morons are going to be out somewhere close to $1500.
I wish they'd just sell them off or something... I kinda like the M4 :mrgreen:

Meith.Killer
Extremely Regular

Post by Meith.Killer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Im willing to bet the billboard by the highway was close to where they were playing, trying to get the high ground, to bad they are complete retards
Whats the scouter say? HIS FPS IS OVER 9000!!!!!!!
   ▲
 ▲ ▲

Shock&Awe
Extremely Regular

Post by Shock&Awe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Bunny wrote:
Shock&Awe wrote:Some of those teens could be shot right now... several of those guns do not have orange tips, which would scare the hell out of me if I was a cop
Orange tips are meaningless, no cop is going to trust his life on a belief that because a gun has an orange tip it is not real.
I meant to say that both instances would be scary (obviously you could paint a real firearm's muzzle orange).
Former Airborne Infantryman 2011-2015

Molon Labe

Gotchya
MAA Member

Post by Gotchya » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:24 am

I'm glad to see the return of the DOM, it's been too long.
imo, due to the content of these posts, its all too soon....
MAA Member #105
I... am... Ironman... rih nuh nih nuh nih na nah naah naaah
Team BANGARANG!

Return to “Safety & Training”