shotgun fps limits?

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

swamp rat

shotgun fps limits?

Post by swamp rat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 pm

whats the rules for multi shot sohtguns? I was looking at geting this one http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=29768 but one of my mates said that this is too high an fps for a multi shot shotgun

McLovin
Extremely Regular

Re: shotgun fps limits?

Post by McLovin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:23 am

swamp rat wrote:sohtguns?
first learn how to spell SHOTGUN haha jk

and second its hard to crono and find the fps of a shotgun but if u can get that to happen most shotguns crono at 280-310 fps
Last edited by McLovin on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:54 am

TEAM ANARCHY wrote:and second its hard to crono and find the fps of a shotgun but if u can get that to happen most shotguns crono at 280-310 fps
Gas shotguns are rather different from spring multi-shot shotguns. Gas shotguns fire at very different velocities depending on a large number of factors, including how many BBs are fired, the type of gas used, and the ambient air temperature. Currently, the MAA chronos all multi-shot shotguns by firing a single BB - which may not exceed normal FPS limits. Stay tuned though, gas shotgun rules may be changing around the same time as the FPS limits for this season are announced.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

ddombrock2009

Post by ddombrock2009 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 am

This is a semi necro, but i feel it relevant.

What about guns like the ACM or Marushin M500 that will fire 5 shots at once? I shot a box on a fresh charge of propane in a basement at about 60-65 degrees at a range of about 20' and it wouldn't penetrate a single layer of cardboard with any of the BBs, yet with a single BB I believe it could exceed 500 FPS. Its tube fed, so loading a single BB into the tube would be more of a pain than its worth. Now I see that its a bit unrealistic to expect a specific rule for only one gun but I feel it a little unfair to judge a gun by what it can do; versus what it normally does. From what Ive read, generally guns with adjustable FPS are allowed, provided it cant be adjusted on the fly. Likewise the FPS of this shotgun could only be adjusted by physically loading a specific number of BBs which can easily be observed, since you must pull out a long tube to reload.

I dont intend to fight the MAA on this, simply wondering how this would be treated since Id love to use it in some of the zombie games I believe will be planned for this fall.
Guns don't kill people. The proper application of sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control kills people.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 am

ddombrock2009 wrote:What about guns like the ACM or Marushin M500 that will fire 5 shots at once? I shot a box on a fresh charge of propane in a basement at about 60-65 degrees at a range of about 20' and it wouldn't penetrate a single layer of cardboard with any of the BBs, yet with a single BB I believe it could exceed 500 FPS. Its tube fed, so loading a single BB into the tube would be more of a pain than its worth. Now I see that its a bit unrealistic to expect a specific rule for only one gun but I feel it a little unfair to judge a gun by what it can do; versus what it normally does.
The problem here is that the weapon still can, if loaded improperly or it suffers a miss-feed, fire a single BB at 500+ FPS. The MAA, especially at open sessions, must keep in mind the worst case scenario. Running large public games like the MAA does necessitates that rules be in place to ensure maximum safety for every single person on the field, not just the reasonable and clear-thinking people. The fact remains that the shotgun may fire a single shot at over our current velocity limits, and that shot may hit a 14 year old in the face from 10 feet away, and then someone needs to explain to the irate mother why there were not rules in place preventing something like this from happening.

I know it's frustrating, and the MAA's officers are working on a more sensible and workable set of rules for gas milti-shot shotguns. Please be patient.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Return to “Safety & Training”