Airsoft laws for Carver county, MN?

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

BENJIv1

Airsoft laws for Carver county, MN?

Post by BENJIv1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Im pretty sure that the use of replica guns on private property is legal, but then again impretty sure. If anyone can clarrify this or give me ideas on where to find out about these laws, that would be great.
Thanks

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Re: Airsoft laws for Carver county, MN?

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:03 pm

BENJIv1 wrote:Im pretty sure that the use of replica guns on private property is legal, but then again im pretty sure. If anyone can clarify this or give me ideas on where to find out about these laws, that would be great.
Thanks
There is a difference between State, County, and City ordinances. You should check both Carver county and your city.

http://www.co.carver.mn.us/county_gover ... heriff.asp

Carver county does consider Airsoft guns weapons:
http://www.co.carver.mn.us/county_gover ... nances.doc
WEAPON. Any device, including, but not limited to firearms, bows, electronic weapons, slings and pellet or B-B guns from which a shot or projectile of any type is discharged or propelled by means of an explosive, gas, compressed air or other means. An ELECTRONIC WEAPON means a portable device which is designed, used or intended to be used, offensively or defensively, to immobilize or incapacitate persons by the use of an electronic current.
Use of said weapon is prohibited on park land....but there is no mention at the County level for discharge on private land. That said, what city do you live in. Discharge of any weapon, including Airsoft, is illegal in Chaska, which is a city in Carver County:
http://www.chaskamn.com/new_resident/or ... fenses.pdf
Section 32. Prohibition against discharge of firearms, hunting and trapping.
Except as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful to fire or discharge any firearm or weapon, to hunt or engage in hunting, or to trap or engage in trapping, or employ the use of a trap defined herein, within the City of Chaska, Carver County, Minnesota. (Ord. No. 227, Sec. 3, 2/2/76; Ord. No. 319, Sec. 2, 1/18/82; Ord. No. 454, Sec. 1, 8/27/90)
Section 33. Exceptions to Section 32 of this chapter
(a) The provisions of Section 32 of this chapter shall not apply to the discharge of any weapon or firearm described herein when discharged within a "gun or rifle" range under the control and supervision of the Carver County Sheriff's Department or the Chaska City Police Department, or such other indoor firing range approved by the Building Inspection Department of the City.
(b) The provisions of Section 32 of this chapter shall not apply to the discharge of a bow and arrow when discharged within a "bow and arrow" range under the control or supervision of Chaska City Parks and Recreation Department or such other archery range as approved by the City.
(c) The provisions of Section 32 of this chapter shall not prohibit the use of any gun, weapon or firearm or bow and arrow in the lawful defense of person, property, family, or in the defense or enforcement of the laws of the City, County, State or United States.
(d) The provision of Section 32 of this chapter shall not apply to a person or his or her employee or agent who employs a trap on their own private property to prevent an unsafe condition or the waste or destruction of their property when such persons have complied with the laws of the State of Minnesota and further provide that any traps so set pursuant to this Subsection(d) shall be set and tended in a way which does not constitute a danger to persons, domestic or wild animals which are not considered pests or a nuisance.
(e) Provisions of Section 32 of this chapter shall not apply to representatives of the City of Chaska, County of Carver, State of Minnesota, or the United States of America who may, in the course of duties, be required to use a firearm or weapon or bow and arrow or trap to catch, trap, snare, kill or otherwise restrain the free movement of any animal, wildlife or birds, for humane or other authorized purposes.
Chapter 15 Page 6
Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions
(f) The provisions of Section 32 of this chapter regarding the prohibition of the use of traps shall apply to teachers for school programs or scientists or other persons having in his or her possession a special permit issued by the Commissioner of Natural Resources for the State of Minnesota pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 97A.401 for protected animals and 97B.651 for unprotected animals.
(g) The provision of Section 32 of this chapter shall not apply to any land situated within the City of Chaska under the management of the United States Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service of the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Fish and Wildlife of the State of Minnesota when such persons are abiding by the rules and regulations promulgated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or the Department of Natural Resources of the State of Minnesota for the hunting or trapping of animals or birds on property under their control and management.
(h) The provisions of Section 32 of this chapter regarding the prohibition against discharge of a bow and arrow shall not apply if the discharge of such bow and arrow is in accordance with the provisions of Section 35 of this Ordinance. (Ord. No. 454, Sec. 2, 8/27/90)
Even discharge of a bow and arrow is illegal in city limits....

All this was easily found online. If you tell me what city you live in, I am confident I can find the information for you....but I suspect it will be the same as Chaska.

Also, just because you are on private land does not make it safe or smart to play there.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

BENJIv1

Post by BENJIv1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Alright thank you for the info! I was looking around all last night and nothing came up...
Ill make sure not to play airsoft in my backyard for now on, and yes i do live in Chaska. Luckily my dad has friends who live on farms about 20-30 minutes from here so maybe thats where i can play.
Thanks again for the warning

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 pm

An important thing to keep in mind, in addition to legality, is to make sure that no unknowing person can see you when you are playing. If you do go to your dad's friend's farm, and it is in a place where it is legal to play (I assume it is, seeing that farms aren't normally within city limts), make sure that you can not be seen from roads or trails. If a passer-by sees you there is a good chance the will think "person sneaking around with gun" and will call the police. Even if you are not doing anything wrong, this can create quite a hassle while your activity is being determined by the responding officers. It is also a good idea to call the Sherrif before you start playing, just in case they do get any calls.

Also, make sure that you play where no stray BBs can end up where there are unprotected bystanders. If you are playing behind a solid fence, outside of city limits, but there is a walking trail on the other side of the fence, BBs will make it over/under through the fence (they're magical like that). Even if it is technically legal to play on the property, it isn't legal to hit bystanders, even if you don't do it on purpose.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

BENJIv1

Post by BENJIv1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Yeah the farm is FAR from city limits, have to take many country gravel roads, and in a whole new county that is mostly rural so im going to assume for now that airsoft guns are legal on private property, at least until i figure out exactly what city and county the farm is on. also to help my assumption, my dads friend has hunters come out and they go into a ravine which is the border of their land, so yeah i dont believe repilica guns would be a problem...

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 pm

Better safe then sorry.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

BENJIv1

Post by BENJIv1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm

MCXL wrote:Better safe then sorry.
Yeah i know exactly, ill have to look up the laws for that place also.

Return to “Safety & Training”