EYE PROTECTION

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

ree608

Re: EYE PROTECTION

Post by ree608 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 pm

Im under 18, so are the rest of the people on my team, would a army of two full facemask with protective glasses underneath be ok? (glasses are just in case)
Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:35 am

ree608 wrote:Im under 18, so are the rest of the people on my team, would a army of two full facemask with protective glasses underneath be ok? (glasses are just in case)
THE ARCHANGEL wrote:Thanks for the clarification Gill I hadn't checked the link.

The answer is still no. Our games require Full Face Paintball Masks for players under 18. No alternative will do. That said, we are reviewing several systems to see if they meet insurance specifications but to be blunt, don't hold your breath. Paintball masks are safer and we're in no rush to change our rules so people can look cooler and feel more tactical.
At this time, you should look at standard unmodified paintball masks.

JT produces ones that you can get fairly cheap, just go to the first and top of the second page of this thread.

You can also check eBay or the Sales section (or post a WTB thread for X number of masks).

Also remember, "protective glasses" must meet the same standards that the regular goggles do (ie: full seal, strap, ANZI rated). There are some out there (Wiley X SG1s IIRC) that meet the standard.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:51 am

ree608 wrote:Im under 18, so are the rest of the people on my team, would a army of two full facemask with protective glasses underneath be ok? (glasses are just in case)
No. We have specifically barred adults from using that very set up, so there's now way we'll allow it for a minor.

You MUST have FULL SEAL goggles and we do not allow mesh.
I'll put this out there too, before it's asked...The mask itself it not full seal so you can't put full seal goggles over the outside of the mask. Full seal goggles won't fit under that mask either, so you can forget that too.

So just buy a paintball mask & be done with it.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:07 pm

N Z87+S... I know this maybe a dumb question but is that good enough?
Call-sign:Excalibur
Leader of Black Wood Company
"I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men." -Malcolm Wallace

Airsoft is not about winning or losing, it's about playing safely, with respect and all of the good times that we have.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Z87+ is actually a higher rating that Z87.1 so, yes that's good.
Team PALADIN

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:43 pm

thatguyonline wrote:N Z87+S... I know this maybe a dumb question but is that good enough?
From the first page of this very thread:
Bunny wrote:To meet the ANSI Z-87.1-2003 Basic Impact standard, a lens and frame must resist a 1" steel ball dropped from 50" without fracturing. To meet the ANSI Z-87.1+ High Impact standard, the lens must survive a 1/4" steel ball fired at it at 150 FPS without fracturing and no piece detaching from the inner surface of the lens.
Bunny wrote:
Shady-Cadence wrote:It says Z87+. Not Z87.1+. (?)
Not a problem; the .1 is just referencing the sub-section of the Z-87 standard in which the testing criteria is specifically laid out.
Where are you seeing this notation? Is it in documentation, or from a proof stamp on the lens itself?

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

It is a stamp on the lenses. Sorry, I did not have time to read the whole post. I was in a hurry that day...
Call-sign:Excalibur
Leader of Black Wood Company
"I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men." -Malcolm Wallace

Airsoft is not about winning or losing, it's about playing safely, with respect and all of the good times that we have.

august_moon
Fairly Regular

Post by august_moon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 am

I've been looking at approved MAA Eye Protection a lot trying to find some affordable APPROVED goggles. The max I can spend at the moment (from when ever I get paid from people who owe me money), is at the max $35. Can someone help me out for MAA Approved goggles? (I've got a JT Paintball mask, but I hate wearing it. Can't aim with my m4.)
"In a parallel world, I wouldn't have friends, wouldn't have a girlfriend, I'd be a spoiled nerd, and have a sma.. NEVERMIND!! PARALLEL WORLDS DO NOT EXIST!!! You Cumb Dunt!!" - JMO (switch the D and C around).

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:47 am

If you are under 18 you must wear a full face paintball mask, ie the JT mask you currently have would satisfy the requirements.

If you are over 18 look on eBay for a used set of ESS profile NVG, land ops or similar ESS goggles. The easiest reference point for looking at approved eye ware is to consult the US Army's APEL (approved personal eye ware list). Any set of goggles on there will meet the standard.

Other ones to look for include revision sawfly goggles.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 am

If you're over 18 you can just take the goggles out of a paintball mask and use those.

EDIT: Just checked your profile and w=saw you're 15. Looks like you get to keep rocking the mask for a few years.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

august_moon
Fairly Regular

Post by august_moon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:16 pm

grr. I hate wearing it. UGH. Well, looks like I'll just have to deal with it...
"In a parallel world, I wouldn't have friends, wouldn't have a girlfriend, I'd be a spoiled nerd, and have a sma.. NEVERMIND!! PARALLEL WORLDS DO NOT EXIST!!! You Cumb Dunt!!" - JMO (switch the D and C around).

LieutenantIDan
Still A Newbie

Post by LieutenantIDan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Minor here, would I be able to get away with this?
I'm guessing yes, but i'd like to be sure.
I wish I could just do what i came up with though... I thought of wearing a goggle set with a Neoprene mask covered by a Shemagh and helmet.
Vigilantia Et Virtute

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 pm

LieutenantIDan wrote:Minor here, would I be able to get away with this?
I'm guessing yes, but i'd like to be sure.
I hate Evike, they don't have good product descriptions. I'm in a charitable mood as I looked up a bunch of info for you.

That is a full face paintball type mask so off the bat I would have said yes....but Evike being the asshats they are have no listing of ANSI rating for this model. I went to Save Phace's site and found their FAQ page (http://www.savephace.com/FAQ) and they claim:
Are your mask ASTM and/or CE Rated and approved for paintball? We have passed ASTM testing and will be CE approved soon.

Are your lenses ASTM/ANSI Rated for Paintball? Our lenses have met and exceeded ANSI and ASTM Paintball Standards for impact resistance, luminance and optical clarity.
So by that account these would be allowed at MAA games.

EDIT: Until we field test these, we are not going to allow them. - Erik, MAA Safety Officer

Here's a comment on what you posted though....the unit you posted has a single pane coated lens. Coatings wear off from use and it can come off even faster if you try to wipe it down with other chemicals. I would suggest you either buy multiple lenses or do yourself a favor and buy a thermal lens. It can still fog but thermals are better in the long run.

That said, most of us older guys, when we have to use full face....which is any indoor event, use JT Spectras with thermal lenses. Sure, some guys have modded face masks (which is not allowed for under 18) but I still rock my Spectra's. They are proven masks that Pro Paintball players have been wearing for years.
LieutenantIDan wrote: I wish I could just do what i came up with though... I thought of wearing a goggle set with a Neoprene mask covered by a Shemagh and helmet.
You are not the first person to come up with that and the reason we don't allow it is....because is DOES NOT OFFER THE SAME PROTECTION. Shemaghs fall down and are hot. Neoprene masks are hot and don't offer sufficient protection, only lessen the impact of a face fit. Neither option covers the ears sufficiently.

It may seem harsh to say this....but let me just put it out there and assure you I'm not mocking you (or August Moon). Saying you can't aim with full face on is a bullshit newbie excuse. Kids say that because they don't want to wear full face. Any experienced Airsoft player will tell you, it's how you play and adapt that makes you a good player. No one LIKES to wear full face but we all do from time to time. Some of the best players I know, all adults mind you, ALWAYS where full face and they don't bitch about site picture. They learn how to play using the mask and adapt. For indoor games, which I'll grant you are rare in this state, all fields require full face....and people don't bitch, they throw on a mask and play. You learn how to play with them, it's as simple as that. You don't have to like it but it's safer. When you turn 18 you can pitch them into a bonfire and swear to never wear them again....but in the end you probably will. Probably better to learn how to use them now....
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

LieutenantIDan
Still A Newbie

Post by LieutenantIDan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah, well I've tried aiming whilst wearing those, it doesn't quite work for me.
If I use a riser and an EOtech or something, it may work.
But with that "save phace" (It's cooler because it has a "ph") I picked that because I think that'd be easier to aim with.
Also, I heard with those run-of-the-mill paintball masks, you could just take a hairdryer and heat it up and conform it to your face, do you guys know if that works?
Vigilantia Et Virtute

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:21 am

LieutenantIDan wrote:Also, I heard with those run-of-the-mill paintball masks, you could just take a hairdryer and heat it up and conform it to your face, do you guys know if that works?
That sounds like a remarkably good way to burn the shit out of your face.

Regardless, we don't allow people under 18 to play with modified masks: just the act of heating it can severely compromise its integrity.

Some JT masks are actually flexible and will bend around your gun somewhat, making it a bit easier to aim.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.

LieutenantIDan
Still A Newbie

Post by LieutenantIDan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm

So, if I went over one of those masks with a Duracoat pattern, would that count as "modifying" it and get it banned?
Vigilantia Et Virtute

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Paint shouldn't modify the integrity of the mask. Heating it to the point of deformation certainly would.

The key is that you don't compromise the integrity/safety of the mask. Cutting parts out, or melting and reshaping, those are things that'll compromise the integrity. Painting it, putting on stickers, whatever, anything that's essentially cosmetic, should be fine.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Would it change the material/structural integrity of the mask, or cause it to cover less of your face? Would paint do that? Think a bit. This isn't that hard.

Well technically some paint would, if the solvent reacted with the plastic and dissolved it, but the type of paint that would do that to paintball mask plastic isn't that common. And really: This concept isn't that hard.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

LieutenantIDan
Still A Newbie

Post by LieutenantIDan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Trippy wrote:Would it change the material/structural integrity of the mask, or cause it to cover less of your face? Would paint do that? Think a bit. This isn't that hard.

Well technically some paint would, if the solvent reacted with the plastic and dissolved it, but the type of paint that would do that to paintball mask plastic isn't that common. And really: This concept isn't that hard.
Well, it's better to check first before everyone guts me when I finally show up to a game with a painted mask.
Because, that is considered "Modifying" by some people, which it is.
I just wasn't sure what the lengths of the modification rules were.
Vigilantia Et Virtute

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

LieutenantIDan wrote:I just wasn't sure what the lengths of the modification rules were.
You can paint it, but that's about it.

Clark

august_moon
Fairly Regular

Post by august_moon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 am

I'll try figuring out a way to aim with it. Maybe if I use my front sight only and use the old "Kentucky Windage" trick it'll help. (I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was complaining. Gettin' tired of wearing it. Stupid foam came off, so I gotta find the foam pieces and re-glue them). I could also try a riser mount with an optic or something like someone else suggested (I'm sorry I forget the username). Oh well, I can tough it out for a few more years then. :mrgreen:

LieutenantIDan
Still A Newbie

Post by LieutenantIDan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 pm

august_moon wrote:I'll try figuring out a way to aim with it. Maybe if I use my front sight only and use the old "Kentucky Windage" trick it'll help. (I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was complaining. Gettin' tired of wearing it. Stupid foam came off, so I gotta find the foam pieces and re-glue them). I could also try a riser mount with an optic or something like someone else suggested (I'm sorry I forget the username). Oh well, I can tough it out for a few more years then. :mrgreen:
That was me, friend.
Vigilantia Et Virtute

august_moon
Fairly Regular

Post by august_moon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Oh, thanks for an idea to try dude

BipolarTiger
Still A Newbie

Post by BipolarTiger » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:54 am

Hey guys, I already have a JT mask; but I was wondering if these 2 goggles would meet the standard or not?
http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php? ... =SOFT-GG02 - this one is from leaper, but it doesn't say whether it meet the ANSI z87 or not.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U9 ... PDKIKX0DER - I don't think this was design for airsoft, but it meet the ANSI requirement and it's can be worn OTG.

Thanks.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:57 pm

The 1st one isn't ANSI Z87.1 rated (if ti were it would likely say so) so no.
The 2nd...Maybe, while it IS ANSI Z87.1 rated, it's impossible to tell from the photo if it is full seal.

If you're a minor then it's a moot point, as you must have full face.
Team PALADIN

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 pm

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1602-GF ... Green.aspx

Would these work for eye-protection?
Nothin Like Hockey Nothin Like Baseball and Nothin like the Ladies
JG G36C
Umarex M9 Co2 (TM M1911A1 just broke what I believe is beyond repair)
Soon to come Magpul PTS Masada CQB and VFC MK16 FN-SCAR

vashke
A Regular

Post by vashke » Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I did some searching on that mask and there are claims that they are anzi rated but the number is not listed along with really vague comments about quality. Another thing to note is that they are not thermal lenses so there may be an issue with fogging.

For the same amount you can find a full face mask that has thermal lenses (maybe a little more) and will tell you the anzi rating before you buy.
Vashke

"Honor, Courage, Commitment" ~US Navy Motto
OLCMSS - Lightning Strike IV 1st Platoon 3rd Squad
Camp Ripley V - Brown Team

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

I'd say no, based on the last line of the product description:
Not for AIRGUN protection and extremely high velocity airsoft guns.
Your eyes will be fine unless you walk around a corner and get shot from three feet away (which will happen). Why risk it when there are so many safe alternatives.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

Magkill
A Regular

Post by Magkill » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 pm

I've had a jt mask sense the start and was wondering if its good enough for big events. The total amount of time I've had the mask is about 3 years and I've it has gotten shot about 20 times, so is it still safe? Optional to read: is it weard to have a $1000 load out and still have a $30 face mask, in other words should I get a new one?

Here's the link to the mask.

http://www.airsoftstation.com/jt-airsof ... aotNsu9KSM
Code name: magkill

Team: Task Force Pallaton

Weapon of choice g&g gr-25

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:45 pm

JT makes good masks, so you do not need to worry about your safety.

The only thing I would recommend would be an upgrade to something with thermal (dual pane) lenses. They are much more resistant to fogging. If you're not having problems with fogging with your current setup, I would say keep it until you turn 18 and upgrade when you have more options available to you for eye protection.

Clark

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

We had two players at the last Mini Op with goggles we had to deny. One had Oakley Ski Goggles....which while rated had soft lenses therefore not impact rated. The other was more of a sunglasses goggle that the palyer ordered online that had NO rating printed on the lenses. Both players were able to find other goggles to use.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

gmzamz

Post by gmzamz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:41 pm

In reference to the rule about unmodified full dace maks for minors, I'm assuming that only applies to anything that would compromise the safety of the mask? I know painting is okay, but what about switching out the elastic strap on a save phace mask for one that is a little more comfortable?

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

Generally speaking the modifications we're worried about are those done to the lens &/or structural protective parts of the mask.
That said, if you show up with a mask held on your head with paracord, tape, etc then it will not be allowed.
Team PALADIN

Return to “Safety & Training”