June's Douchebag(s) of the month

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Erik
MAA Member

June's Douchebag(s) of the month

Post by Erik » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:53 pm

Link to video:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/lo ... y_gun_troy
TROY, Mich. - A toy gun almost cost a Troy teenager his life. Witnesses and an officer mistook a game for a hold up and the toy gun looked real, so the officer fired.

17-year-old Forrest Reddick of Troy was playing a game of Airsoft was his friends on Friday when "I get a phone call from one of the kid's parents telling me there was an incident at my home. The Troy police were called and that my son was shot at," said Patricia Brooks.

Here's how it all started. Troy Police got a call from someone driving down Dequindre who said they saw a man approaching a house holding a shotgun. So, obviously, police showed up at the home.

"I was just sitting over there minding my own business, watching my brother play with his friends. Then I saw something move in the bushes," said Jahlin Brooks.

According to the boys, they did not know police were at the location until they say the officer came from behind the bushes, shouted something they didn't quite understand and then opened fire.

"I looked over. ... I saw him pointing the rifle up in the air. Boom," Jahlin Brooks said.

"I could have died that day. I could have gotten shot," said Forrest Reddick.

The Troy Police officer could not tell the guns the kids were playing with were plastic toy guns that shoot plastic pellets. A few of the play pistols were black and, in the officer's opinion, looked like the real thing.

"They could have (known) it was a toy. It was like the brightest orange tips on all the guns. So, if he would have looked first, he really would have saw it," said Randy King.

Mom believes this whole thing is a big misunderstanding and she does see how from maybe a hundred feet away a play gun could possess qualities of the real deal. However, "I just don't feel that they judged the situation properly. I feel they could have done a better job," she said.

The police officer who fired off the round is on paid leave pending an investigation, and while he is off work, these kids are waiting to hear "I'm sorry".

"They should give us an apology," said Jahlin Brooks.

"It was just a game. I mean nobody was getting hurt. We wear safety glasses. We played safe. We played in the back yard and stuff," Forrest Reddick said.

"Wow. You really have to shoot a real gun. Why can't you just say, 'Hey, what are you doing guys," said Jahlin Brooks. "Man. That kind of freaked me out."

The good news is that nobody got hurt.

I don't know what's worse, the incident itself, or the fact that they clearly have learned NOTHING AT ALL from what happened? Douchebags all around.

This is a good example of why I hate orange tips: because they provide a false sense of security for morons like these.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Tank
Team PALADIN

Re: June's Douchebag(s) of the month

Post by Tank » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:23 pm

I love how firing ONE ROUND is "opening fire". That makes it sound like the officer fired at them multiple times.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:56 pm

The apples don't fall far from the tree...
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

uRizen
MAA Member

Post by uRizen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Idiots, story added to my collection in case the neighbor kids start airsofting in the street again. It's unfortunate these fucks didn't learn anything from this, haven't these people heard of all the cases in the past where people have been shot at for mere squirt guns, let alone airsoft replicas? I agree that the orange tips are useless, the last thing an officer is going to do is check the tip of the weapon, even then criminals have painted the tips of their real firearms in the past in an attempt to confuse law enforcement.

Not to be nit-pcky, but why did the officer fire a round into the air anyways? If you were under the belief that these kids possessed real firearms why wouldn't you keep your weapon trained on them at ALL times, and isn't firing off a round into the air a bad idea in a populated area? I mean... that bullet has to come down sometime and depending on the angle he fired the weapon at it might have enough energy to cause some damage.
MAA Member #89
BATC Graduate, Class 5-10

thomasleezachary

Post by thomasleezachary » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 pm

uRizen wrote: Not to be nit-pcky, but why did the officer fire a round into the air anyways? If you were under the belief that these kids possessed real firearms why wouldn't you keep your weapon trained on them at ALL times, and isn't firing off a round into the air a bad idea in a populated area? I mean... that bullet has to come down sometime and depending on the angle he fired the weapon at it might have enough energy to cause some damage.
He does have a point

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:01 pm

What I'm thinking... the officer fired it as a warning shot because he wasn't sure if the kids actually had real guns or not, he didn't want to shoot them, but there was also doubt as to whether or not they were real guns. Shooting one of the kids probably would have led to some serious repercussions, whether officially or not. Not shooting the kids and walking up casually could have led to him getting shot if they were real guns. And waiting for more backup could have meant that one of the kids got shot by what was possibly a real gun, and repercussions on him for not acting soon enough.

but he's the only one who can actually answer that...

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:28 pm

uRizen wrote: Not to be nit-pcky, but why did the officer fire a round into the air anyways?
Poor training.

Warning shots in LE went away with call boxes...it shouldn't be done, and is almost always against policy. There was a gentlemen who graduated a year before me, served as a PT cop up north, fired a warning shot into the ground during a call on Monday, had his pink slip on Thursday. Nuff' said.
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:32 am

He got a new car? (I have no idea what you mean by pink slip.)
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Lone
MAA Member

Post by Lone » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:56 am

MCXL wrote:He got a new car? (I have no idea what you mean by pink slip.)
I'm sure he was hoping he won himself a new car, but alas, he was only kicked out the door.
MAA Member: 96
BATC Grad 5-09
Gunfighter lvl I

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:55 am

MCXL wrote:He got a new car? (I have no idea what you mean by pink slip.)
It's an older term for getting fired. IIRC it had something to do with going to payroll to get your last check...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pink slip refers to the American practice, by a personnel department, of including a discharge notice in an employee's pay envelope to notify the worker of his or her termination of employment or layoff.[1] Receiving a "pink slip" has become a metaphor for the termination of employment in general. According to an article in The New York Times, the editors of the Random House Dictionary have dated the term to at least as early as 1910.[1] The origin of the phrase is undetermined, and there is no evidence that termination notices were ever traditionally printed on pink-colored paper.[2] In the UK and Ireland the equivalent of a pink slip is a P45, in Belgium the equivalent is known as a C4.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:35 pm

"They should give us an apology," said Jahlin Brooks.
I think those kids should give the POLICE and NEIGHBORS an apology for acting like complete dickheads.

I could drone on and on and on about the stupidity of the article, as I'm sure you all could, but I won't since it'd be preaching to the choir. And yes, by pink slip I meant termination notice, I should have clarified I know the term is a bit out-dated.
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:20 pm

All I can think of when the term pink slip comes ups is cars,

"You know, this ain't no 10-second race. "
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:40 am

Ever since the show "Pinks" came out I'm guessing? Or Fast and the Furious?
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:46 am

Racing for pink slips is a much older tradition than the F&F/Pinks, they just publicized it to a new generation

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:04 am

bikemancs wrote:Racing for pink slips is a much older tradition than the F&F/Pinks, they just publicized it to a new generation
Uh, bike, did you miss this?
Wikipedia wrote:According to an article in The New York Times, the editors of the Random House Dictionary have dated the term to at least as early as 1910.
There probably wasn't a lot of "pink slip" racing in the days when they called them horseless carriages.
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:18 am

Getting WAY OT but-

Bike said the phrase "race of pink slips" is older than fast and furious, not older than being fired via pink slip.

Although don't you think for a minute they weren't racing horseless carriages as soon as they were built. :D
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:22 am

bikemancs wrote:Racing for pink slips is a much older tradition than the F&F/Pinks, they just publicized it to a new generation
I'm aware, but almost everyone I have heard use the term only knows it due to one of the two listed above.
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 am

Wolfwood wrote:Getting WAY OT but-

Bike said the phrase "race of pink slips" is older than fast and furious, not older than being fired via pink slip.

Although don't you think for a minute they weren't racing horseless carriages as soon as they were built. :D
:oops: Sorry, the coffee hadn't taken yet. :oops:
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Caffeine first, internet second... come on man! :wink:

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 pm

I had heard of pink slip racing before THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS but i just cant resist quoting those movies every chance I get.

We seem to have wandered from the topic...
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Return to “Safety & Training”