Idiot Kids.

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

SeXy_GeeK

Idiot Kids.

Post by SeXy_GeeK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Well I had some fun (sarcastic) with several Idiot kids over this last weekend.
I came home on Friday to find the neighbor boy and his three buddies hanging out of their front porch arguing with his mom and my wife. They were all equip with clear plastic "wall mart specials", with a mix of no face protection and one with some "safety glasses" (the cool kind that wouldn't stop anything).
The kids approach me and ask if i would like to play with them... My response was "Where?", his reply, "right here in the neighborhood". My immediate response was exactly this... "You know that's Illegal right?, you're likely to get arrested, if not SHOT DEAD by the police".
his mother stood up and said "Thank You, I told you so!" (another example of a mother incapable of exerting control over her childred).
After they babbled on about how they were clear, and they didn’t hurt at all, and blah blah blah, I finally gave them two choices.
A: put the #$%^ away out of sight and come hang out in my garage (out of public view) and get a look at some Real airsoft guns, perhaps I'd take them out to a Real game at a field this summer.
B: I'd call the cops right now and personally hold them until the officers arrive. (might have come off a little strong on this one)

They elected option A.
I gave them a show (No firing) of an AEG, and some gas blow back pistols, all metal.
I then asked them to tell the difference between two weapons on a table, one an Airsoft replica of a Glock 26 (these are real close to the real thing), and two an actual Glock 36 (unloaded).
They could not identify the two as different, I explained to them that one of them was REAL, and that the police can't tell the difference either. the reaction it prompted was fairly significant, I believed I had gotten a point across and hopefully these kids would change thier behavior.

Unfortunately the next day i got to see the neighbor boy, come back from the hospital with a dozen stitches in the side of his head, they had decided to go out at night (so they wouldn’t be seen) turn off all their lights, and play in the woods, with no face protection.
Luckily before anyone could shoot some eyes out the kid ran full speed into a tree branch, darn near tore his ear off.

-Sigh---

It gets better, Saturday I was at a family barbeque. in a fairly dense neighborhood.
i hear some pops, and the bang of sheet metal (someone hitting a car) I step out front to check on our vehicles and find a kid, 10-12 with a clear plastic "M4 style" airsoft rifle pretending to take a firing position on the trunk of my ma's Jaguar (most expensive vehicle in the whole neighborhood). Pointing the rifle at his buddies in the street (who were unarmed and unprotected, playing with a basketball)
"god trouble comes in threes" i said to myself as i started his way.
I walked right up to him without him noticing I was even there (completely unaware of his surrounding).
I said "Hey, you know you can't be waiving that around out here".
"It's only Airsoft" he said to me with an arrogant tone.
"I know what it is son!, not put it inside"
he meandered off away from me into the street, still pretending to aim at his buddies, ignored me almost entirely when I explaimed "we'll see what the police think".
unfortunately I didn't make due on my threat, not wanting to cause a big stink for my aunt.
I heard a few more shots fired, but within a few minutes the kid and his buddies had disappeared, didn't see where (I was trying to enjoy my BBQ).

anyways, If you all have any suggestions on how I can try to bring these kids around (my neighbor that is), I'd love to hear it.

- GeeK

Mailman
Extremely Regular

Re: Idiot Kids.

Post by Mailman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Good job! If i were you, I would call the parents of the children. If they did not take action I would then take to calling the police and inform them that kids were playing with replica guns in the street. Thanks for taking the right actions and protecting this sport(and those kids) :D
BATC 5-10 Honor Grad
The most dangerous weapon in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.

SeXy_GeeK

Post by SeXy_GeeK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 pm

well obviously I didn’t do a good enough job, as they went out that night and one was severely injured...
In many cases these kids parent have no capability or desire to control thier children...
I hasitate to quickly imidiatly involve the police as these are my neighbors, it would be a detriment to my relationship with them (I have to live next to these folks every day), and it would provide further justification for more restrictions on our sport.

but do nothing and they could be the next kids shot by the cops...

Mailman
Extremely Regular

Post by Mailman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:53 pm

SeXy_GeeK wrote:well obviously I didn’t do a good enough job, as they went out that night and one was severely injured...
In many cases these kids parent have no capability or desire to control thier children...
I hasitate to quickly imidiatly involve the police as these are my neighbors, it would be a detriment to my relationship with them (I have to live next to these folks every day), and it would provide further justification for more restrictions on our sport.

but do nothing and they could be the next kids shot by the cops...
true true, But still next time you see them doing it. Go talk to the parents and tell them what could and will happen if they don't stop, Also It would not hurt to tell them they are putting this sport at a serious risk.
BATC 5-10 Honor Grad
The most dangerous weapon in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.

SeXy_GeeK

Post by SeXy_GeeK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 pm

If they aren't worried about their own personal safety I don't think they will bat an eye at endangering my favorite sport.
refectored,
If they are too short sighted to realize that playing with replica guns could get them killed, I don't think they are going to appreciate the fact that it could get their replica guns taken away from them, and others.

None the less yes, I will certainly have words with them if i see it again, however i don't think they are likely to try it around my place any more, not that it think that will stop them from doing it elsewhere...

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 pm

The next time it happens, which it sounds like it's only a matter of time until it does, take the gun(s) from the kid(s) and tell them they will have to ask their parents to get them back from you.
Then inform the parent(s) that the next time it happens you WILL call the police (and actually do it).

In the event hat the parents call the police about you taking the kid(s) gun(s) simply explain the situation, return the gun(s) to the officer(s), and let the kid(s) &/or parent(s) why the kid was ILLEGALLY running around with an airsoft gun.

IDK where you live, but if it's in MN you could also inform the kid(s) & parent(s) that In MN it is illegal for anyone under the age of 14 to be in possession of an airsoft gun without DIRECT parental supervision. (Meaning the parent/guardian must physically be with the child. Looking out the window doesn't count. )
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Show them proof of the illegality.

Look up your neighborhood ordinance and print it out for them...now see if they can read...
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

thomasleezachary

Post by thomasleezachary » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:44 pm

That happened around here (almost. A kid was in the street, not behind a car). A cop lives about a block away from where they were, he took the liberty of calling his friends (cops) and they played cop after calling the kid's parents. With their approval, the cops cuffed the boy and did all the stuff that they would do if it was real. Except for when they were bringing him to the jail, they just drove around and told the kid which, i heard from someone else was shaking and crying, why he cant play in the streets, then brought him home. Nothing of illegal airsoft has been heard here since. (Besides some kids in school were thinking of playing airsoft in the parking lot. Which they didn't)

AMR
Fairly Regular

Post by AMR » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:26 am

Don't know about playing in public but to atleast get them to were eye protection get some pics of people getting there eye shot out by an airsoft gun at diffrent FPS or lie to them and get the worst pic and tell them it is the lowest FPS
A.L.I.C.E. may not be the prom queen any more, but she is still one hot milf

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:24 pm

hey just to point out the last post was in june, so 6 months ago. you should read the date before posting.
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Return to “Safety & Training”