Stupidity Contest

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Which of these two are the stupidest?

The morons who shot at a cop with an Airsoft gun
81%
The idiots who decided to play on a public street, at night, and then ran from the police
19%

Total votes: 52

Erik
MAA Member

Stupidity Contest

Post by Erik » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 am

Who's stupider? You decide.

Pair arrested, accused of firing pellet gun at officer
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... ndex=85391
ESCONDIDO — A 19-year-old motorist and his 16-year-old passenger were arrested on suspicion of firing a plastic-pellet gun at a patrol officer, leaving a welt on his cheek, as he made a traffic stop.
The driver, and his passenger, both of Escondido, were arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, assaulting a peace officer and conspiring to commit a crime, said police spokesman Sgt. Craig Miller.
The 19-year-old was booked into the Vista Jail and is set to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow in Vista Superior Court. A bail of $126,000 has been recommended. The 16-year-old was booked into San Diego Juvenile Hall.
The patrol officer, whose name was not released, had made a traffic stop near Harding Street and Washington Avenue at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when a car drove by and fired what appeared to be a pellet gun at him.
The officer stopped the car a couple of blocks away and arrested the driver and his passenger without a struggle. Two Airsoft handguns and two Airsoft rifles in the car were seized as evidence, Miller said. Airsoft guns are powered by compressed air and fire plastic pellets.
Airsoft weapons give police a scare
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/134032
Two teenagers wielding Airsoft guns were lectured and released Thursday after risking getting shot by concerned police officers.

A 15-year-old and 16-year-old dressed in black and wearing face paint caught the attention of Aspen police officers Dan Davis and Joe Holman while carrying weapons resembling a shotgun and semi-automatic handgun at 1:30 a.m. The weapons were in fact Airsoft guns, which are designed to look like exact replicas of lethal firearms in both appearance and weight but instead discharge small 6mm plastic BBs. The guns are marked with orange safety tips.

Upon encountering an Aspen police car, the boys ran. Sgt. Davis pursued them on foot, yelling “Stop! Police!” The boys did not obey the sergeant’s commands, and continued to flee the scene.

Assistant Aspen Police Chief Linda Consuegra said police believed the weapons were lethal, noting that it was dark that night and the orange safety tips of the guns were obscured at certain angles.

“He could have shot this kid and he would have been justified shooting that kid,” Consuegra said Friday.

Davis eventually tracked the teens down and they complied with his commands. With the assistance of Holman, Davis confiscated the Airsoft guns. They were entered into evidence and will be destroyed.

It is against the law to fire or discharge a BB gun, air gun, pellet gun or paintball gun in the city limits,” according to the city of Aspen code.

Police did not issue any citations to the boys. They lectured them instead and released them to their parents. Consuegra said the parents were upset police took the teens’ actions so seriously. One of the boys was emotional and frightened when police finally caught up to him.

But police stress that Airsoft guns and other nonlethal weapons and toys pose a real hazard due to their uncanny resemblance to lethal guns.

A 56-year-old man was shot and critically injured by police in Tampa, Fla., last month after pointing an Airsoft pellet gun at a sheriff’s deputy. There have been other incidents as well, including one in Bellingham, Wash., in which the district attorney’s office there ruled that police were justified in shooting and killing a 24-year-old brandishing an Airsoft gun.

The Aspen Police Department is asking citizens to take precautions when using Airsoft guns and to familiarize themselves with local laws. They are asking that parents “educate children on the appropriate use of the gun replicas to help prevent an unfortunate incident.”
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Re: Stupidity Contest

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:34 am

I feel like there is no wrong answer as to who is more dumb.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:45 am

That's a tough call...I voted for the latter incident.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:47 am

Hmm. They're both winners....or losers as the case may be. I say shooting at a cop with a toy has more merit for a Darwin award.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

MajWinters636
MAA Member

Post by MajWinters636 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 am

THE ARCHANGEL wrote:Hmm. They're both winners....or losers as the case may be. I say shooting at a cop with a toy has more merit for a Darwin award.
agreed!
BATC Graduate #103
Class 1007
MAA Member
T.O.C. Member

NotBatman
MS40 Rangers

Post by NotBatman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:48 am

I have to say the first, but by a very narrow margin.

I can see how kids might think it was ok to play in their neighborhoods. Hell, we see that right here on these boards far too often! To take it that step further and actually shoot a fucking cop...

It's too goddamn bad they aren't contenders for Darwin Awards.
MAA Member #64
MS40 Rangers
BATC Graduate - 07/08
BATC OpFor - 05/09

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 am

The first one. I can see how you would think that airsofting in public would be OK: You just don't put together that running around with what looks like a real firearm might be viewed by others as dangerous and/or concerning. The first guys shot a cop.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 am

the stupidity of people astound me... what compels people to shoot a cop let alone pointing a gun at him is beyond me.
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

R00K
A Regular

Post by R00K » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:16 am

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
BATC 5/10
[add witty text here]

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:50 am

Upon encountering an Aspen police car, the boys ran. Sgt. Davis pursued them on foot, yelling “Stop! Police!” The boys did not obey the sergeant’s commands, and continued to flee the scene.
That's pretty damn stupid to, especially considering they looked like armed men.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:15 pm

I have to say first, mainly for the reason that they actually shot the cop (Wtf did they think would happen? :evil: :roll: )

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101
One of the First Airsofters to have Skydived into an airsoft event

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:53 pm

On a side note...here is one that is a Darwin candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNZrfabisc
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

siuss

Post by siuss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Guges Mk3 wrote:On a side note...here is one that is a Darwin candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNZrfabisc
This may sound sadistic, but sometimes I wish those vests could just fail once for me.

That was one of those times.

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 pm

I say they've crossed the threshold.
Kind of like, which would mess you up more if ignited in your lap? A pound of C4, or five sticks of dynamite? I'm sure there's a difference, but it's purely academic. It's beyond that threshold, ya know? :roll:
Their stupidity exceeds colossal, more evidence of natural selection attempting to exert itself upon mankind.

For you academic types, the guy who shot the cop. :wink:
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:29 pm

I wonder how the cop is doing, knowing that the welt he had could have been an actual pistol round...I would think that could cause some emotional distress later on down the line, if not now. They are lucky they didn't get lit up when they produced the pistol...
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm guessing he knew it was a pellet when it hit him, since the article made it sound like it was just some dumbass driving by and the cop didn't see what they were doing. If the cop had shot two teenagers, assaulted them, "lit him up", when he pulled him over and found airsoft guns in the car, I'm pretty sure this would be an extremely different story. Summary Execution of teenagers (one a minor) is a bigger crime.

As it is, looking at the list of charges these kids face, its not like they are getting off easy. They'll have that stupid stunt following them for the rest of their lives.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 pm

I guess only the cop knows...I believe he knew it was a pellet AFTER it hit him, but I know if I was conducting a traffic stop and someone pulled a pistol out and shot me, the thought of the possibility it could have been real would have shaken me up at least a little....in any case, they are retarded for doing to anyone, especially the police
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:30 pm

WarGod wrote:
A 19-year-old motorist and his 16-year-old passenger were arrested on suspicion of firing a plastic-pellet gun at a patrol officer, leaving a welt on his cheek, as he made a traffic stop.

According to that article, he was shot when making the traffic stop...as in he walked up to the car and took a shot to the face. Just how the article reads...
Original article wrote:The patrol officer, whose name was not released, had made a traffic stop near Harding Street and Washington Avenue at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when a car drove by and fired what appeared to be a pellet gun at him.
The officer stopped the car a couple of blocks away and arrested the driver and his passenger without a struggle. Two Airsoft handguns and two Airsoft rifles in the car were seized as evidence, Miller said. Airsoft guns are powered by compressed air and fire plastic pellets.
Maybe you should read all of it next time war god, as your assessment was 100% backwards.

EDIT: hmm you edited your post war god, maybe you ended up reading it.
Last edited by MCXL on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 pm

I did re-read it..the opening text kind of fooled me and Wolfwood's response didn't click so I checked again and realized I had made a mistake
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Return to “Safety & Training”