Police Shoot Man Armed wtih Airsoft Gun

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Erik
MAA Member

Police Shoot Man Armed wtih Airsoft Gun

Post by Erik » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:55 am

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar/26 ... illsborou/

Photos:

http://snap.tbo.com/galleries/index.php?id=350908
A Hillsborough County sheriff's deputy shot a man Thursday evening after the man pointed a pellet gun at him, sheriff's officials said.

The shooting happened along Mango Road, near Mango Elementary School.

According to the sheriff's office, a deputy responded to that area at about 6:40 p.m. after someone called the sheriff's office to report a man was walking in the area carrying a rifle with a scope.

When Deputy Ricco Palermo confronted the man and asked him to put the gun down, the man instead turned and pointed what appeared to be an "assault-type'' rifle at him, according to Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Jose Docobo.

Palermo fired once, hitting the man in the abdomen, Docobo said. Palermo was not injured.

The sheriff's office identified the man as Gilbert Velez, 56, of 1811 S. Oak Street in Seffner. He was taken by medical helicopter to Tampa General Hospital, where he is listed in critical condition.

Docobo said the rifle turned out to be a pellet gun. "Even at relatively close distance, it looks real,'' he said.

The incident happened between Mango Elementary and a shopping center. Mango Road was shut down in both directions while evidence technicians worked the scene.

Neighbors who stopped by the scene after the shooting said Velez has been known to stay at a nearby homeless camp. Docobo said investigators have not confirmed that.

Palermo, 36, is a 10-year veteran of the sheriff's office. He will be placed on administrative leave with pay pending review, which is standard procedure in such cases.

A backup deputy responding to the scene was involved in a traffic accident and was taken to a local hospital. Her injuries do not appear to be serious, Docobo said.
Probably an emotionally disturbed individual, but it could have just as easily been someone playing in the street...
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Faust
MAA Member

Re: Police Shoot Man Armed wtih Airsoft Gun

Post by Faust » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 am

trogdor796 wrote:Who in their right mind is going to call the cops on us?

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:57 am

I was just about to post that quote as well Faust.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

siuss

Post by siuss » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 pm

I know it really has nothing to do with it, but I feel it has to be asked. Am I the only one who wants to think that people with guns that cost $200-ish would be mature enough (56 years old?!?) to not do stupid shit like this?

It looks like an A&K "SPR" that's why I came to that conclusion...

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:43 pm

siuss wrote:I know it really has nothing to do with it, but I feel it has to be asked. Am I the only one who wants to think that people with guns that cost $200-ish would be mature enough (56 years old?!?) to not do stupid shit like this?

It looks like an A&K "SPR" that's why I came to that conclusion...
It sounded like this guy probably was not stable. He was either delusional or this was a suicide attempt. For our purposes, however, it should be noted how quickly police acted to reports of someone carrying a "assault weapon" on the street and what happened once police showed up. The officer was acting completely properly, and my sympathy goes out to him.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

siuss

Post by siuss » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Wolfwood wrote: The officer was acting completely properly, and my sympathy goes out to him.
I agree, I want to know what the poor officer is going through... I mean he can get in serious trouble for this right? And in all honestly that is just wrong, like Wolfwood said, he saw a man wielding an AR and shot him. What else would someone expect?

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:29 pm

I don't expect the officer to see any real trouble from this. They typically give the guy a suspension-with-pay while they make sure the reports are accurate, and, depending on the department, ease him back into regular duty with some help from counseling. Unless there is more to this story than reported, the officer likely won't get into any trouble.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:17 pm

If it's deemed the cop was justified, he'll go back to work. He'll have to deal with the fact that he shot somebody, but there wouldn't be any legal or administrative action.

When a cop is presented with an unknown, who appears to have a weapon, and then gets the weapon pointed at him, it's usually pretty clear-cut that the officer was justified to act in self defense, as he perceived a lethal threat. Doesn't matter whether the threat was real or not...
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Ferret
FoRt Team

Post by Ferret » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Totality of circumstances. At the time of the shooting the officer had no reason to believe that the gun was fake.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:15 pm

I have heard of justified shootings of a guy with his hand inside a bag charging him out of a house, as well as a paintball gun being pointed at officers (later deemed to be shooting glass marbles).
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:33 am

And when you can buy guns and have them coated like this....I would shoot first and ask questions later.

I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Return to “Safety & Training”