The Douchebags are BACK! New for 2-10-09

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Erik
MAA Member

The Douchebags are BACK! New for 2-10-09

Post by Erik » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 am

We've had a douchebag-free past couple of months, but this one is a doozy.

This week's douchebags are the school supervisors in Cherry Creek, Colorado, who suspended a student who is a member of the "Young Marines" drill team, for having dummy drill rifles in her car.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx? ... &catid=339

These cretins are hiding behind the "law gives us no discretion" argument, and even invoked the Columbine massacre as an excuse (as if there were any connection between the two incidents)!

What a bunch of douchebags. Let's hope they see the light and let this student graduate.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Mr.MG42
Extremely Regular

Re: The Douchebags are BACK! New for 2-10-09

Post by Mr.MG42 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:27 pm

thats dumb, she gets suspended for a "young marine"drill?
wow that is sad, but wouldn't the school know that they have been doing the 'drill'
weird.and.confusing, :?
"During WW2, the French resistance fighters, in their finest hour, bravely threw sticks of dynamite at the advancing German troops. The Germans then lit them and threw them back.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:32 pm

The school also called police, who seized the three drill team guns made of wood, plastic and duct tape.
My highschool had a drill team, with riffles that sound a lot more realistic than these. The only time it was dangerous was pre-tryouts when there were twenty inexperienced girls trying to catch the spinning things in the hallways.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow, there's being careful and then there's just being paranoid. I think this is over the line. To a point I see the argument, it was not school officials that caught her it was other concerned students that first brought it up. She should probably have been a little more careful with how she stored them. No way does this warrant suspension though, even the police didn't seem to think it was a very big deal.
Mr.MG42 wrote:but wouldn't the school know that they have been doing the 'drill' weird.and.confusing, :?
From the sounds of it the drill was not school-related and was not on school grounds. She had them in her car because she was going there right after school.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:41 pm

She deserved everything she got!!!!....... :roll:

Kidding of course. Yeah this is a little bit over the top if you ask me. I could see if she like pointed them at someone or represented them as real firearms but eh. I CAN see the initial reaction, that's valid...I don't think anyone would fault a school for calling authorities for a complaint that a kid has rifles in her car....however after it was discovered to be for a legitimate purpose it should have ended there. Maybe a quick talkin' to about properly storing them for the future.......oh well, welcome to the new America
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 pm

New America? New world...we now sanitize everything...I don't remember doing that stuff back even 5 years ago.

We are getting soft and stupid.

Time for a good flood...to clean things up. :P
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Guges Mk3 wrote:New America? New world...we now sanitize everything...I don't remember doing that stuff back even 5 years ago.
Zero tolerance was around in 2004. This isn't that new. They've been doing stuff like expelling kids for advil for the last 10-15 years. Treating kids in schools like prisoners is a horrible trend.
Doc Holliday: My hypocrisy goes only so far.
Somewhere out there is 6mm of plastic with your name on it.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:42 am

Well, they are forced to attend, so i guess they are prisoners in more then just the treatment.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Wolfwood wrote:
Guges Mk3 wrote:New America? New world...we now sanitize everything...I don't remember doing that stuff back even 5 years ago.
Zero tolerance was around in 2004. This isn't that new. They've been doing stuff like expelling kids for advil for the last 10-15 years. Treating kids in schools like prisoners is a horrible trend.
And the kids who they treat like prisoners eventually become of voting age.

... And can vote for school budget cuts, and against new levees.

That's how I rock.

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Budget cuts mean they will crack down harder on kids, as trying to work with kids or have intelligent policies or actual remediation costs money.

Vicious cycle.
A strong arguement attacks the merits of a point. A weak arguement attacks the person who established the point.

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Wolfwood wrote:Budget cuts mean they will crack down harder on kids, as trying to work with kids or have intelligent policies or actual remediation costs money.

Vicious cycle.
:shock:
You seem to be implying that our only option is to keep giving them the same or more money, and just hope they treat the kids nice. :roll:
The wave of the future. More bucks for your bang. :|
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

uRizen
MAA Member

Post by uRizen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I guess you could always turn your kid into that creepy home-schooled variety. :D
MAA Member #89
BATC Graduate, Class 5-10

Wolfe
A Regular

Post by Wolfe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Wolfwood wrote:Budget cuts mean they will crack down harder on kids, as trying to work with kids or have intelligent policies or actual remediation costs money.
Not only that, but they can charge us $3 for one (1) slice of pizza, one (1) spoonful of green beans (extra $.75 for two), and one (1) milk... And I go to Buffalo (Sophmore), where the average household income is like $80K... God knows how much they charge the real inter-city kids...

Back on topic, I think this is a bit overboard. There was a time when kids would bring real guns and leave them in their trucks, for hunting and sport shooting after school. My Dad, 45, remembers having teachers even coming out after school or during lunch to look at the lastest models... :?
uRizen wrote:I guess you could always turn your kid into that creepy home-schooled variety. :D
Haha, I know a few kids who come the school for like band lessons and stuff that are home schooled. I would never do that to my kids, they're so socially awkward...
Country before self
Officially an Eagle Scout

Wolfwood
MAA Member

Post by Wolfwood » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 am

Shady-Cadence wrote:

Vicious cycle.
:shock:
You seem to be implying that our only option is to keep giving them the same or more money, and just hope they treat the kids nice. :roll:
The wave of the future. More bucks for your bang. :|
Where did I say anything close to that. I wouldn't call most schools over budgeted. Some, maybe, but the vast majority are not. I think instead public schools in general should be overhauled. There should be more emphasis on trying to remediate problem children instead of booting them out of school. A lot of kids feel like they don't get anything out of school and many of them are right. Almost every other 1st world country has figured out ways of keeping their kids in school and getting them a good education until they are 18. We should too.

Shodan
MAA Member

Post by Shodan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm pissed off that this happened, but you can't be suprised... After 9/11, Everyone's been begging for more "Security" which for the most part, translates to, "Oh please, take away our freedoms, treat us and our children like prisoners, anything to stop us from hurting ourselves!"

All the way through school, my dad was allowed to have a rifle in his locker because he went hunting after school, but i would be suspended if i brought my own pair of scissors that had a point, because it could be considered a "Weapon" and i could hurt people with them... I was often hauled into the office for having a pocket knife, and every time, got my way out of it with a warning by saying, "Well, i could stab someone with this knife, but i could also stab someone with this pencil. Are you going to take away all the pens and pencils in the school now?"
BATC Grad 5-09
"Youthinkthisisafkkingame DUDE?!?"

siuss

Post by siuss » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Shodan wrote:I'm pissed off that this happened, but you can't be suprised... After 9/11, Everyone's been begging for more "Security" which for the most part, translates to, "Oh please, take away our freedoms, treat us and our children like prisoners, anything to stop us from hurting ourselves!"

All the way through school, my dad was allowed to have a rifle in his locker because he went hunting after school, but i would be suspended if i brought my own pair of scissors that had a point, because it could be considered a "Weapon" and i could hurt people with them... I was often hauled into the office for having a pocket knife, and every time, got my way out of it with a warning by saying, "Well, i could stab someone with this knife, but i could also stab someone with this pencil. Are you going to take away all the pens and pencils in the school now?"
Dude, schools are over protective, I got a lunch detention for my earrings...

In Saint Cloud a lighter is warrant to a car search if you drive, and a full day in detention. No this is just some public school, no military or reform stuff.

Wolfe
A Regular

Post by Wolfe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Shodan wrote:All the way through school, my dad was allowed to have a rifle in his locker because he went hunting after school, but i would be suspended if i brought my own pair of scissors that had a point, because it could be considered a "Weapon" and i could hurt people with them... I was often hauled into the office for having a pocket knife, and every time, got my way out of it with a warning by saying, "Well, i could stab someone with this knife, but i could also stab someone with this pencil. Are you going to take away all the pens and pencils in the school now?"
I had a friend get suspended and almost expelled because he had a leatherman, and it didn't even have a blade. Just some screw drivers, and a file... :|
Country before self
Officially an Eagle Scout

Vertigo
A Regular

Post by Vertigo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Wolfwood wrote:Zero tolerance was around in 2004. This isn't that new. They've been doing stuff like expelling kids for advil for the last 10-15 years. Treating kids in schools like prisoners is a horrible trend.

Heh, I almost got expelled for bringing advil to school. I get headaches a LOT, and I got a headache one day and decided that the next day I'd bring a bottle of advil to my locker. Later in the day, my dean talked to everyone about school safety stuff, and said that things like advil are not allowed unless they are given to the nurse with a parent signature, or if the parent brings it themselves. Next, a kid asked why they can't bring advil to school... and my dean said that they could be dealing it. WHO THE HELL DEALS ADVIL :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:
When the Russians were crossing the Volga to Stalingrad, the men in your boat were not just men fighting for the same country. They were not just men who would save your life without a thought. They were not even your friends. They were your brothers.

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:36 pm

erik, if you dont mind, I had a fun Douchbag event happen today! It started early on in school as some kids were talking about how yesterday, they went driveing around in a truck with a paintball gun and airsoft guns, and were shooting at people. I was thinking about reporting it to the school cop, and made a metion of it to him. The rest of the day went by quite uneventfuly and I was glad that school was out. I walked to the super market and bought a soda when I say one of the kids trucks drive far past the speed limit and almost struck a elderly lady as they turned, this got me realy upset and I asked if the elderly lady was ok. So as im thinking about what happened I walked thru the tunnel under 169 twards my house when I hear a loud truck and I look up to see guns pointing at me and they started to fire at me as they drove away thankfuly I was not hit as I dove in the ditch, and promtly called the police reported the incedent and even talked to the same cop that I did earlyer in the day. I hope these fuckers get caught so I can press charges on them. Yeah that was my day today.
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Shit ... I probably would have called 911 and told them I thought someone had just tried to kill me, and given them the make, model, and license plate number of the truck ...

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Lone
MAA Member

Post by Lone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Yeah, we've got some hudelums in this town that need a swift kick in the ass and some re-education. DZ glad to here you're all good. Didn't happen to notice any faces? I'd bring there names to the police if you did.

Lone
MAA Member: 96
BATC Grad 5-09
Gunfighter lvl I

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:26 pm

re-reading my post I was not clear, I was shot at with a paintball gun not real firearms.
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Lone
MAA Member

Post by Lone » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Dark zero_x wrote:re-reading my post I was not clear, I was shot at with a paintball gun not real firearms.
I'd certainly hope not!... No it was pretty clear but I see how someone could get lost in the context.

*Sorry for any of the OT*

/OT

Lone
MAA Member: 96
BATC Grad 5-09
Gunfighter lvl I

Return to “Safety & Training”