night combat tactics

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Chang2012
Still A Newbie

night combat tactics

Post by Chang2012 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:38 am

last summer, i was at a private match and it went late to about 11pm, it was in pitch darkness and we were in a woodland scenerio, my team went into the woods and we got slaughtered by the other team due to my team being untrained in basic night combat, including myself. so if anyone has played and is experianced in night combat could you give me some advice please. thanks a lot
It's very difficult to find a Vietnamese man named Charlie. They're all named Nyugen or Doh or things like that. It's very difficult for me.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: night combat tactics

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:25 am

Know your objective and minimize noise.

If your blundering through the woods not knowing what your going to do...well you'll get creamed.

If your defense, hunker down and don't move. People will think your part of a trunk in the dark...I had 5 people walk right up to me and say..."okay, this is far enough, let's turn around and sweep for the base..." I slowly moved my gun from the left side of the tree and turned slowly to my right as they began to fan out in a line. Then bbbbbbbbbbb as the profanity flew...tracer rounds bouncing off their backs...

If your offense move and know your "own" team players and listen too. Your ears will detect people far easier then your eyes will. I once saw movement coming down a path, how I detected them was not seeing them directly, but rather not seeing certain things when I should. There were light hung on a path, glow sticks and they were fairly dim. But, now and then the glow stick would disappear and then then reappear, which means someone was walking in front of them. So, I waited and tehn fired...tracer round went out...after firing I moved from my spot..then tracer rounds came back to my old spot. Then I fired at the source of the other rounds and continued this dance til I realized that the only other guy that had a tracer unit was on my team...so, I called out to him and then said...you dummy...your shooting at me.

Thing is...you can take all the advice and stories from reading, but its not going to do you any good until you get to use and practice it.

So...first thing for you...go out and learn the basics. Know your objective, move quietly and rely on your ears. From there add on other skills like fire and movement...
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Chang2012
Still A Newbie

Post by Chang2012 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:53 am

right thanks alot
It's very difficult to find a Vietnamese man named Charlie. They're all named Nyugen or Doh or things like that. It's very difficult for me.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:06 pm

The first rule of Night games.....is they are ALWAYS a cluster ****. I have never been to one that wasn't a mess in one way or the other.

As Guges said, learn the basics of group movement, sound recognition, and and fire control. Patience wins nights games. If it's a game with no regens, then you have to be even more careful as your one life really needs to be cherished.

All in all night operations are difficult....they are in real life too....which is why people train so hard if they plan on doing them. It's not something you will pick up right away, maybe never if you don't do them often enough....but knowing the basics will help you all around.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:56 pm

I got one.

Know your gear.

Getting gear out of pouches, adjusting straps, changing radio channels, ect., all become a whole new ballgame when you cannot see what you are doing. You need to know your gear so well that you can do everything you need to do in combat without seeing any of it.

This skill is essential at night, but it will benefit you all around as a player.

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:09 pm

do not go out and just assume you're going to use your flashlight...

it's incredible how far a light will travel in the dark. anything glowing or shining will attract attention.. from your radio or watch to a surefire on your weapon that you accidentally turn on... you are suddenly the most obvious thing and people will converge.

Also, eliminating light sources enables your night vision more. and your night vision (no not an actual device) works differently than your normal vision. you will see things out of the corners of your eyes more directly than straight in front of you. you can look at something directly and miss it but your peripheral vision will pick it up... especially movement.

And it does take a TON of practice. the US Army is very good at night, however, we practice it on a very regular basis.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:12 am

And once your vision adjusts, a burst of direct light will seriously FUBAR it for a while...low-light training exercises have taught me this. Takes a long time to get it back (from a flashlight burst for example) and during that time, the enemy can still see you perfectly.
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Wolfe
A Regular

Post by Wolfe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:13 pm

WarGod wrote:And once your vision adjusts, a burst of direct light will seriously FUBAR it for a while...low-light training exercises have taught me this. Takes a long time to get it back (from a flashlight burst for example) and during that time, the enemy can still see you perfectly.
3 minutes just to get your complete basic vision back, and 4 more minutes to adjust to the darkness. That's what I've always been told.
Country before self
Officially an Eagle Scout

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:03 am

YMMV.

I knew a guy that could have complete night vision in about 30 seconds. Problem is Lasik ruined his nightvision...now its worse then before the surgery. He wished he did not get the surgery...for what he does.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

fishsquatch
MAA Member

Post by fishsquatch » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 am

Red dots are very useful for acquiring targets at night. Just aim for the center of the moving, dark blob and fire a burst. Of course, make sure the rd is sighted in properly.

And flashlights are fun for scaring the shi# out of the guy who can't sit still. Just sit back and let the noisy guys walk right up to you. Strobing the light and yelling adds to the effect.

Talk to DT about night tactics in the castle at Thunder.
MS40 Rangers

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 am

Wolfe wrote:
WarGod wrote:And once your vision adjusts, a burst of direct light will seriously FUBAR it for a while...low-light training exercises have taught me this. Takes a long time to get it back (from a flashlight burst for example) and during that time, the enemy can still see you perfectly.
3 minutes just to get your complete basic vision back, and 4 more minutes to adjust to the darkness. That's what I've always been told.
Never timed it, but I remember watching something on the History Channel that stated if you were operating in night conditions for 2 hours (completely adjusted and attuned to picking up things under darkness conditions) and someone blasted you with a light, you would not get back to that same state for another hour. However, I know I got my basic vision back fairly quick and was adjusted not long after that....however any length of time is too long when your enemy just strobed you and is lining up his shot as you're wandering around in the night haha
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:36 am

I am just saying there are some people and things that are beyond the "norm" out there.

Guys that can rattle off 12 shots in a 6 shot revolver in 2.99 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpCellB_UQ

Electric Cars that out accelerate all modern sports cars.

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/videos.php

And guys that can move in the dark 30 seconds after you shine a flashlight in their eyes...who will remain nameless.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 am

Obviously there will always be exceptions...I wasn't debating your point Guges I was adding to Wolfe's deal :D
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Night vision is effected by many many things, and it is not going to be the same between even two "normal" people.

As you probably all learned in high school the back of your eye is covered in "rods" and "cones." Cones are what we use to see detail and color, rods detect contrast (and by relation, black/white and movement) and are better in the dark. Generally cones are concentrated in the center of your vision and rods along the outside, this is why something you can see out of the corner of your eye at night will seem to disappear when you look right at it.

Like I said before though, every person is different. Personally I have more rods vs. cones in my eyes, relative to a "normal" person, and consequently I have very slightly better night vision than most people, and am very slightly color blind in red (and had I not had to have an FAA physical for my pilot's license I never would have known). Physical health effects night vision as well; rods consume more oxygen than do cones, and so available oxygen in your blood will affect your night vision. Smokers, for example, will have poorer night vision than non smokers because of this.

While most people will adjust to the dark fairly quickly, say 5 or 10 minutes, becoming fully dark-adapted takes some time. Pilots are taught to avoid all white light for a full hour before flying at night. Looking directly at white light will seriously degrade your night vision. Blue light is better, and red light is best for maintaining night vision, generally.

When airsofting at night, move slowly and deliberately and be cautious of noise. Keep your eyes scanning, and do not stare at any one thing too long. Look for human shapes, and especially movement, out of the corner of your eyes rather than analyzing specific objects. Rely heavily on sound. Outdoors in the woods DO NOT use flashlights, they will only light up every small branch between you and what you are looking at, destroy your night vision, and give away your position. Flashlights are only useful in CQB environments where you need to navigate structures and check dark corners for threats. Night games indoors and outdoors are very different, and require very different tactics.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Bunny wrote: Outdoors in the woods DO NOT use flashlights, they will only light up every small branch between you and what you are looking at, destroy your night vision, and give away your position. Flashlights are only useful in CQB environments where you need to navigate structures and check dark corners for threats. Night games indoors and outdoors are very different, and require very different tactics.

Clark
Not trying to be difficult, but I would like to provide some input from school and personal experience regarding this.

In school, we were taught how to properly use our flashlights while searching structures, and then they taught us how to move through open areas as well. Flashlights can be used in a "defensive" way. The way I was taught was to flash a spot of light to see where the next position I would be moving to is (maybe 2 seconds tops). Then when I move up, I repeat this, but alter the height and location of the flashlight. To someone hiding, this looks like a firefly...hence the name "firefly spotting". If you want to shoot where you last saw my light, go ahead. In a real world situation I'm nowhere near that last spot and your muzzle flash just gave away your position. In airsoft, you just shot off into the distance and now I heard where you are. Or, you can try and lead the light, however the chance of me moving in a B-line right to the next spot is pretty low since I know from training it's a dumb move...and there is no guarantee I'm moving any certain direction. However you slice it, you're going to give yourself away.

In a personal experience, I was once helping search for a guy who fled a bar fight and was hiding in a backyard, we had a bunch of us canvassing the neighorhood. I was moving through the darkness, lighting as I needed to. The other officers were doing a tactic very similar to mine and within 5 minutes the guy jumped up and tried to run....waiting for him about 15 steps away was a cop who tackled him like a NFL linebacker. The guy was completely astonished and said he could see our lights but didn't know where the hell we were. He saw the arresting officers light and thought the cop was going the wrong way, and as soon as he stood up that officer saw him and was waiting.

Case in point, flashlights can be useful no matter where you are. Personally, in an airsoft game, I would try and minimize/eliminate it as much as possible as your hearing and peripheral vision are enough, but it's not completely useless.
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:55 pm

WarGod wrote:Not trying to be difficult, but I would like to provide some input from school and personal experience regarding this.
Yes, and in an open or urban environment you described very well the correct use of a flashlight for movement. In the woods, though, flashlights tend to not work well at all. In my experience a flashlight will very brightly illuminate all the brush and branches that are close to you, and completely blind you to everything further away. In the woods I've found you are better off maintaining stealth and preserving your night vision.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.

WarGod
Extremely Regular

Post by WarGod » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:22 pm

I guess I can't add too much to that, except the backyards here are wooded...so I was in the woods, but not THICK woods so I can't attest to that.
Fireteam | Saber
...formerly Trikx...

Vig
Still A Newbie

Post by Vig » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm

My first game of the season was a night game and Archangel said it best “it’s usually a cluster ****” Besides getting hit in the face by the tiny branches you can’t see and the terrain you can’t see (big f’en hole in the ground..LOL) it wasn’t the worst experience.

Complaints aside what I learned was…

A: know your objective….Duh pretty simple I know

We played attack defend; I don’t think you can do much else without it being a total failure of a game, but I could be wrong.

That being said, it was a very easy strategy, set up a perimeter and wait. It’s all about patience; I laid in prone and waited while squad after squad came in on me only to be met with BB fire that they had no idea where it was coming from. Your ears will be your best friend, since your eyes don't like you much with out night vision goggles. What I mean is listen for movement, if you hear movement don't move that person you hear may not be friendly.

If I needed to move it was usually slow, still using cover like I would during the day. Other than that I can’t give you much more advice, I don’t have a lot of experience at night. I would say you could use the force, but you would have to be a Jedi.. :D
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Shock&Awe
Extremely Regular

Post by Shock&Awe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Simple way to win night ops with the upper hand: use NVGs.

Kidding, they are hundreds to thousands of dollars. I've used them, they make everything look like it's daytime, just with a greenish appearance. They're really cool.
Former Airborne Infantryman 2011-2015

Molon Labe

Capt. Kill
MAA Member

Post by Capt. Kill » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 pm

bring a knife...
BATC Honor Graduate Class 07/08

"Man's way to reach God is religion; God's way to reach man is Jesus Christ." C.J. Mahaney
BD:6/17/84

Shock&Awe
Extremely Regular

Post by Shock&Awe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:34 pm

A rubber training knife for airsoft would be cool... if you could get close enough.
Former Airborne Infantryman 2011-2015

Molon Labe

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:05 am

Its hard to get into knife range, its easier to let the opponents come to you.

I once let 6 players walk up on me...it was much more interesting lighting them up from the back with tracer rounds.

And I have used a Red Water Soluable Crayola Marker as a Knife...far more interesting if you can doodle on them with red ink then a plastic knife that could hurt someone...

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:07 am

First thing's first, get used to the movements and obstacles you have to overcome before you hit the live op. This could include everything from stairwells, walking, running, and obstacle navigation.
Next thing you're going to want to do is learn to identify targets using ambient light/shadows while shooting and moving around obstacles.
One thing that i saw many people talking about was having lights, and whether they're a bad/good idea. Well just so you know, the best way to win a night fight is to have ultra bright & long range flashlights. People might say that this is a bad idea because it will give away your position but they're wrong. Get a team loaded with lights and move through the woods in a circle type formation with everyones lights on and covering every cardinal direction. Keep a good spread apart so you dont all get shredded with automatic fire too. In doing this you will see the enemies from a long way off and they will be more inclined to keep there heads down rather than attack. There's nothing worse then getting shined with a surefire in the woods.
Last edited by Dark Horse on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I guess my motto was too "Violent" for some of the older adults on the forums so i changed it.

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:30 am

Also, I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone that posted before me. Sorry if i offended somebody
I guess my motto was too "Violent" for some of the older adults on the forums so i changed it.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Dark Horse wrote: One thing that i saw many people talking about was having lights, and whether they're a bad/good idea. Well just so you know, the best way to win a night fight is to have ultra bright & long range flashlights. People might say that this is a bad idea because it will give away your position but they're wrong. Get a team loaded with lights and move through the woods in a circle type formation with everyones lights on and covering every cardinal direction. Keep a good spread apart so you dont all get shredded with automatic fire too. In doing this you will see the enemies from a long way off and they will be more inclined to keep there heads down rather than attack. There's nothing worse then getting shined with a surefire in the woods.
You have never fought at night have you? Your tactic will only work in a OPEN field scenario and with lots of people. Try this in the woods, in heavy brush or any other terrain with cover and you will be "screwed". This is partially due to light bounce back and the lights "limited" range.

High intensity flash lights at most will have a range of 100 yards and it will be in a cone. People beyond this will see you coming and people even within this range will be hard to spot. This is due to your light, it will destroy your night vision. Where the light does not shine you might as well look at a black wall, because you will create artificial shadows. As you range out the gaps develop in the "cardinal" angles. This will allow people to move under darkness and tip them off to where your looking.

Plus....in cover....people will spot you before you spot them...playing OPFOR for the West Metro Constorium once in a Morris T Baker park...a few Officers tried this. They missed me twice when they directly shined their light on me. Granted, I was frozen and did not move when the light was on me. The first time I was in the brush with full face coverage. The second time I was playing raccoon next to the Garbage cans, I was just darked out with no face covering and they still missed me. Lighting up the terrain while your enemy is in the darkness...bad idea.

This is why they invented Night Vision Goggles.

BTW...there are brighter lights then Surefires.... :P

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:28 pm

I realize that night vision would be the best route but how many people do you know that have invested hundreds of dollars into to a nice pair. I have used flashlights in the woods and they've worked everytime. Yes people can see where you are but they are either too close that if they move you'll spot them, or they're too far away that even if they did see you coming from a long way off, they wouldnt be able to engage you.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Light on a target does not mean you will "instantly" spot them even if you shine it on them. I have been passed over many times with light directly shined on me and held on me for several moments.

Another draw back to your tactic is that you have to move as a team. If one guy stops to try and "investigate" an item...it will screw up the whole formation. Thus your pattern will break or you will miss many targets that could have been spotted with more time. Because the "team" had to keep moving.

I have been in rear guard positions where SWAT team member have swept through a basement with a flood of lights and missed the suspect. Guess who found him? The rear guard that was thinking instead of just "using" his light.

Night fighting is just very hard and no one tactic works unfortunately.

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Well in response to the team movement. I undertand that the team has to work together and i dont know who you play with, but the people i play with understand this. And since everybody already knows where you are dew to your lights, then if one man stops to investigate, he just has to let the rest of the team know and not worry about being too loud. Remember the enemy already knows where you are so sound isnt an issue.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:15 pm

You never answered Guges question - how much experiance do you actually have playing at night?

I've done it quite a bit, both in open terrain and in the woods, and in the woods you cannot rely on flashlights. The simple problem is this: use of a flashlight will blind you to everything not in a light beam, and people behind good cover you still won't spot until you are quite close to them. Your opponent won't even need a light source, so long as they have good cover they can just wait until you are in range and open up. You end up in a situation where you are taking a gamble that you will see them before you are in range, while making absolutly certain that they see you. It's just not smart.

Clark

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I have lots of night battle experience. And you're taking a gamble everytime you step into the woods at night. Here's the reality. You and your team are trying to creep through the woods without light, the enemy is sitting quietly, waiting for your team to get closer, once you're close enough they open up, everyone runs around and dives for cover, and suddenly everything is extremely clustered and friendly fire starts happening. Could it have been avioded? Maybe and maybe not. Wouldn't you rather take the chance with flashlights and "possibly" spot the enemy ahead of time. You only need to find one bad guy to know that there are more in that same general direction.

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Dark Horse wrote:I have used flashlights in the woods and they've worked everytime. Yes people can see where you are but they are either too close that if they move you'll spot them, or they're too far away that even if they did see you coming from a long way off, they wouldnt be able to engage you.
The instant you turn that light on, they will know where you are. Even if you do spot them, it won't be before they have spotted you (not to mention you'll have blinded yourself to everything but them). I don't know what you mean by "too close that if they move you'll spot them" -- why would they bother moving, rather than just shooting you? If they are within range of you, they will know where you are and engage you. If they are not in range of you, they will at the very least know exactly where you are and where you are moving, and quite easily just lay down behind some cover and wait for you to get into range.
Dark Horse wrote:Remember the enemy already knows where you are so sound isnt an issue.
I'd much rather work with a technique that doesn't involve me just blatantly announcing my presence to the enemy. If they know where I am and I don't know where they are, game's over, it's just a waiting game.
you're taking a gamble everytime you step into the woods at night. Here's the reality. You and your team are trying to creep through the woods without light, the enemy is sitting quietly, waiting for your team to get closer, once you're close enough they open up, everyone runs around and dives for cover, and suddenly everything is extremely clustered and friendly fire starts happening. Could it have been avioded? Maybe and maybe not. Wouldn't you rather take the chance with flashlights and "possibly" spot the enemy ahead of time. You only need to find one bad guy to know that there are more in that same general direction.
Actually I would rather take my chance going slow and trying to find them, rather than just telling them where I am, and letting them know that I have no clue where they are. I don't understand how you think you're going to spot them before they spot you? You've got a big shiny beam of light pointing right back to you. Unless when you very first turn it on you happen to be pointing exactly at them, they will know where you are first.

Yup, you might find one bad guy. Meanwhile they'll see your entire team because you're all walking around with big "I'm right here" indicators.

The cluster-f*** that happens is exactly why people don't like night games.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Well we'll just try it sometime. I have applied the tactic many times and it works. Another aproach is to have 1 guy ahead of the rest of your team by about 20 yards or so (with his light on) scouting.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Dark Horse wrote:Well we'll just try it sometime. I have applied the tactic many times and it works. Another aproach is to have 1 guy ahead of the rest of your team by about 20 yards or so (with his light on) scouting.
Scouting? No...that's bait. They did that in Vietnam and that was Broad daylight. See who shoots the "scout" and then open up in the direction they "think" that the shot came from.

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Its not bait, the scout moves slowely, the right speed so that he can effectively observe his surroundings at the same time. and then if something happens, he warns the rest of the group.. Look, I'm better at CQB, thats my thing; but you cant just say that flash lights wont work, because in many cases they do. It goes both ways.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:19 am

Dark Horse,
I guess the question is. Are you speaking from experience or what you have seen on TV / read about? Guges is speaking from experience. He, as stated, has helped out a number of police departments around the metro area and has worked for a number of different departments from around the country. He has seen and put into practice what he is talking and what you are talking about. He is also suggesting that using a flashlight is not always the best move and pretty much just gives your position away. Do you know why cops no longer hold their flashlight under their hand gun now while doing searches? Its because people aim at the light. By not holding a light directly in front of your body and more up above it and to the side you are less likely to get directly shot at.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

Dark Horse
Still A Newbie

Post by Dark Horse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36 am

I already stated that i was speaking from experience and i have other people that can vouche for me the fact that flashlights do work a lot of the times. I'm not saying its perfect for every scenario but in a lot of cases it works.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:20 pm

DH has edited his posts....but as I have copies as I was writing a general response I feel comfortable posting the following:

The issue that's come up DH, and I think you've felt it now, is you've come onto these boards with a full head of steam and gave your opinions in a tone that oozes with overconfidence and finality. You were flat out incorrect in the 396 post in regards to VTAC, Magpul, and Airsoft and you have throw out the words "the best" more the once in regards to your tactics which to most of us screams young and misinformed. There is no "best", just the best for the time and situation (something you are now saying BTW). Experienced players (and operators for that matter) accept that whatever they support today may totally change a year from now....and have the fore site to avoid such strong sweeping statements.

You keep speaking like you are an authority and then recanting. You don't need to be an expert....just share your thoughts. You don't need to impress us with your knowledge, just share your experiences in an open format. You have adjusted some of your posts and your tone has changed since you started posting on the boards and that is a good thing. We're not out to fight you but like most forums, we have little tolerance for new people who come in trumpeting loudly. We don't know you well enough to gauge your tone and the internet is a lousy place to interpret intentions.

I'm just trying to keep you from feeling like you have to be on the defensive. Welcome to the boards, just idle back a bit and get into discussions with a little more finesse.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Pecker

Post by Pecker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Does anybody here have night vision? I have a cheap set from walmart (sad i know) but they actually work pretty good! Depth perception is screwy but they work!
"My name is Saddam Hussein, I am the president of Iraq and I want to negotiate."
Saddam Hussein, to US troops who captured him in a hole in the ground near Tikrit

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:23 pm

There are a few guy with NVGs. Varying in quality from low-end glorified toys to full military issue quality.
That said NVGs are rare amongst most airsoft players.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Pecker

Post by Pecker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Yea thats kinda what i was thinking. The pair I have are low end, but i do have a pair of military grade NV Binoculars, and they work amazingly.
"My name is Saddam Hussein, I am the president of Iraq and I want to negotiate."
Saddam Hussein, to US troops who captured him in a hole in the ground near Tikrit

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Pecker wrote: a pair of military grade NV Binoculars
Would you mind defining this? Most NVDs are not binoculars, you may be referring to a type with two self contained tubes, used by pilots.

Pecker

Post by Pecker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 pm

http://www.usaspyshop.com/night-vision- ... -1175.html These arent the exact ones but they're close and look really similar. I'm sure the pair i have are not that expensive, but i did get them from my dads ex-military friend.

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 pm

You may have gotten them from an ex-military friend, but those aren't military, or at least not anything I have seen in the current inventory. There's a few thing that make them stand out as civilian, but I'll let it be, still, a nice set of NVDs

Pecker

Post by Pecker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Yea I didn't say that those were the ones, I siad that that's what they "look" like. But yea i dont know if they're military or not. Doesnt really matter cause they work!

Duckcammando

Post by Duckcammando » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Do illuminated scopes have any advantages in night fighting? Will they give your position away?

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Illuminated sights can be quite useful at night, and if they are of any real quality they shouldn't give away your position from behind. One important feature though is that they have to have the ability to dim enough that they don't blow your night vision. Also, if you scope fogs up, you won't be able to see anything but a large green or red disk.

Two personal note, though: I, and many other players, don't regularly use sights. Airsoft guns aren't that accurate and the range isn't far enough to need to aim in a traditional sense. Also, night games generally suck. I may be rehashing stuff because I don't feel like reading a four year long thread, but night games normally turn into a major cluster where nobody has any idea what is going on. Unless it is a specific, well lit scenario, most experienced players don't bother.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 pm

I have an aimpoint replica on my main rifle, but to illustrate how unimportant sights really are with airsoft rifles, the wiring is broke in it and it no longer functions. I keep the thing on just for a window to look through for aiming, and for looks.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Return to “Safety & Training”